Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:28 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,858 times

Advertisements

I'm a female in favor of men's reproductive rights.

Women have all the rights to the pregnancy and baby and no responsibility for getting pregnant. When a woman chooses to have sex, she has several things that she can use before sex, during sex, after sex, and once she is pregnant in order to avoid becoming a parent. When a man chooses to have sex, his options are limited. Within the next 20 years, I would like to see men receive reproductive rights.

In many cases, when the two have sex, they are having sex for pleasure not to reproduce. *These are the situations I'm talking about.*

A typical response to this is, “If you’re not prepared to be a father, then don’t have sex!”, which I find rather strange because it's rare to hear, “If you’re not prepared to be a mother, then don’t have sex!”. But then again, if she isn't financially prepared, the good 'ol government will help her out by forcing the father to pay child support or give her money.

A comment from this blog that I like.
Quote:
I can go along with that term if we’re talking about a mutually planned pregnancy – but what if it was an unplanned pregnancy and he is simply not ready to be a father – just as a woman may not be ready to be a mother? For men, it’s irrelevant what they want, and frankly no-one cares. They’re expected to shut-up and just do as they’re told. Women have choices – men have responsibilities.

"It's her body!"
Yeah, well, it's his wallet.

He should've worn a condom
She could've made him wear a condom. *Again, I'm referring to situations where both parties had no intentions of reproducing.

"When a female determines she is pregnant, she has the freedom to decide if she has the maturity level to undertake the responsibilities of motherhood, if she is financially able to support a child, if she is at a place in her career to take the time to have a child, or if she has other concerns precluding her from carrying the child to term. After weighing her options, the female may choose abortion. Once she aborts the fetus, the female's interests in and obligations to the child are terminated. In stark contrast, the unwed father has no options. His responsibilities to the child begin at conception and can only be terminated with the female's decision to abort the fetus or with the mother's decision to give the child up for adoption. Thus, he must rely on the decisions of the female to determine his future. The putative father does not have the luxury, after the fact of conception, to decide that he is not ready for fatherhood. Unlike the female, he has no escape route." -Melanie McCulley, Attorney in South Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 06:45 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post

Women have all the rights to the pregnancy and baby and no responsibility for getting pregnant. When a woman chooses to have sex, she has several things that she can use before sex, during sex, after sex, and once she is pregnant in order to avoid becoming a parent. When a man chooses to have sex, his options are limited. Within the next 20 years, I would like to see men receive reproductive rights.

In many cases, when the two have sex, they are having sex for pleasure not to reproduce. *These are the situations I'm talking about.*

A typical response to this is, “If you’re not prepared to be a father, then don’t have sex!”, which I find rather strange because it's rare to hear, “If you’re not prepared to be a mother, then don’t have sex!”. But then again, if she isn't financially prepared, the good 'ol government will help her out by forcing the father to pay child support or give her money.

"It's her body!"

She could've made him wear a condom. *Again, I'm referring to situations where both parties had no intentions of reproducing.

"When a female determines she is pregnant, she has the freedom to decide if she has the maturity level to undertake the responsibilities of motherhood, if she is financially able to support a child, if she is at a place in her career to take the time to have a child, or if she has other concerns precluding her from carrying the child to term. After weighing her options, the female may choose abortion. Once she aborts the fetus, the female's interests in and obligations to the child are terminated. In stark contrast, the unwed father has no options. His responsibilities to the child begin at conception and can only be terminated with the female's decision to abort the fetus or with the mother's decision to give the child up for adoption. Thus, he must rely on the decisions of the female to determine his future. The putative father does not have the luxury, after the fact of conception, to decide that he is not ready for fatherhood. Unlike the female, he has no escape route." -Melanie McCulley, Attorney in South Carolina
I agree with you 100%, but women and white night liberal men are going to jump all over you in this thread. You are correct though. Women are not held responsible for getting pregnant, but they want to hold men responsible. If a girl I had sex with tells me she's pregnant and I say I don't want the child, then I'm scum, but if whether the woman wants the child or not (regardless of what the father thinks) her decision to not deal with the consequences of her actions is perfectly okay. There is a HUGE double standard.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I agree with you 100%, but women and white night liberal men are going to jump all over you in this thread. You are correct though. Women are not held responsible for getting pregnant, but they want to hold men responsible. If a girl I had sex with tells me she's pregnant and I say I don't want the child, then I'm scum, but if whether the woman wants the child or not (regardless of what the father thinks) her decision to not deal with the consequences of her actions is perfectly okay. There is a HUGE double standard.
Yet when a woman wants to have an abortion anti-choice conservatives call her scum, so much for your double standard idea.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:30 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. You will be labeled a woman hater and a sexist.

I don't believe abortion should be illegal. I also don't believe men should have the right to a "financial abortion" if only because of the problems it could cause. I DO believe something should be done to make it more fair, I just don't know what.

What really gets to me is that it is argued that, if artificial wombs ever allow viability outside the womb at any point in pregnancy, women should still have the right to a traditional abortion and even then the man should have zero say. Conclusion = this isn't really about bodily autonomy to some

Old 01-18-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yet when a woman wants to have an abortion anti-choice conservatives call her scum, so much for your double standard idea.
When a man tells a woman who's impregnate that he wants her to have an abortion, just about everyone in society including anti-choice conservatives and pro-choice feminist calls the man scum. There's the double standard that you choose not to see.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
When a man tells a woman who's impregnate that he wants her to have an abortion, just about everyone in society including anti-choice conservatives and pro-choice feminist calls the man scum. There's the double standard that you choose not to see.
Not always, I have a friend who is raising her son by herself without the dad, the guy isn't scum, she got pregnant on accident and being in her early 30's wanted to keep the child.

In the end, the baby is primarily a woman's choice because it is a woman's body. When men can give birth, they can take on more responsibility of those choices.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:40 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post

"It's her body!"

How about all males undergo reversible vasectomies after puberty, then when they want to have a child, they have to get a consenting female to sign a contract to have a child with them before they can have the vasectomy reversed.

That would reduce unwanted pregnancies, abortions, men whining about having to financially support their own children etc.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. You will be labeled a woman hater and a sexist.

I don't believe abortion should be illegal. I also don't believe men should have the right to a "financial abortion" if only because of the problems it could cause. I DO believe something should be done to make it more fair, I just don't know what.

What really gets to me is that it is argued that, if artificial wombs ever allow viability outside the womb at any point in pregnancy, women should still have the right to a traditional abortion and even then the man should have zero say. Conclusion = this isn't really about bodily autonomy to some
There is a double standard that no politician wants to deal with our fix because they want the woman vote and do not want to be labeled as a woman hater and a sexes (like I'm going to be soon enough). Even after the baby is born, women STILL believe men should have little say because they were the ones who carried the child for 9 months... I had this argument in the Great Debate section of the forum were women though just that... Well at least until we start talking about child support, then and only then do they agree that men are half responsible.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:46 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
There is a double standard that no politician wants to deal with our fix because they want the woman vote and do not want to be labeled as a woman hater and a sexes (like I'm going to be soon enough). Even after the baby is born, women STILL believe men should have little say because they were the ones who carried the child for 9 months... I had this argument in the Great Debate section of the forum were women though just that... Well at least until we start talking about child support, then and only then do they agree that men are half responsible.
Part of the problem is that many men aren't interested in actually taking care of their children. The assumption is that men will only be paying child support which does not really cover half the child's expenses. Now this is in large part men's fault.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Not always, I have a friend who is raising her son by herself without the dad, the guy isn't scum, she got pregnant on accident and being in her early 30's wanted to keep the child.

In the end, the baby is primarily a woman's choice because it is a woman's body. When men can give birth, they can take on more responsibility of those choices.
You're "singular" example is not how society as a whole would view the situation, and regardless of who gives birth, it's still half the males responsibility. There is a double started that, for your own white night reasons, you are pretending does not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies