Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 10:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
You have a problem understanding? I'm saying what the mom goes through during pregnancy should not trump the father's rights and/or the best interest of the child. I could care less if the "pregnancy" is 50/50 or not. The child that the woman is carrying IS 50/50.
Again with this downplaying pregnancy like it is no big deal....maybe you need to take a health class and learn what it means for a woman to experience pregnancy. Heck, google live birth and watch a baby being born and try to put yourself in her position and then try to tell me that creating a baby is equal to pregnancy and birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 10:39 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I find it funny that you blame women for them getting pregnant, but then want to have as much say as they do on whether or not they carry that fetus to term and raise a child. If a woman doesn't want to carry a fetus you helped create to term and raise a baby, that says more about you than her.
I find it funny that it seems that every single point I make some how goes over your head and then by the time it loops back around to you it's completely spun into something totally different than what I originally said. I'm blaming both men and women for mom getting pregnant. I have a problem with the double standard that's applied to men afterwards.

Last edited by DoniDanko; 01-18-2014 at 10:47 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Again with this downplaying pregnancy like it is no big deal....maybe you need to take a health class and learn what it means for a woman to experience pregnancy. Heck, google live birth and watch a baby being born and try to put yourself in her position and then try to tell me that creating a baby is equal to pregnancy and birth.
Again, you're just talking in circles, and I'm just explaining the same stuff to you over and over again because you have nothing to add.

Let me make it even simpler for you because you are having a hard time comprehending. I agree with you that pregnancy and birth is not 50/50. Okay? Do you understand? Did we finally get that out the way, so that you can not write 10 more post saying the exact same thing?

Next, my point is that the baby that is inside the woman is equally mom's and dad's. So, that's pregnancy = not equal. Baby = equal.

Mom and pregnancy: 100%
Baby inside and outside mom: 50%

Old 01-18-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I find it funny that it seems that every single point I make some how goes over your head and then by the time it loops back around to you it's completely spun into something totally different than what I originally said. I'm blaming both men and women for mom getting pregnant. I have a problem with the double standard that's applied to men afterwards.
Yet it doesn't sound like it when you focus on blaming the woman. Also, why does it even matter who is to blame with a woman getting pregnant. That is between her and the man who knocked her up.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Again, you're just talking in circles, and I'm just explaining the same stuff to you over and over again because you have nothing to add.

Let me make it even simpler for you because you are having a hard time comprehending. I agree with you that pregnancy and birth is not 50/50. Okay? Do you understand? Did we finally get that out the way, so that you can not write 10 more post saying the exact same thing?

Next, my point is that the baby that is inside the woman is equally mom's and dad's. So, that's pregnancy = not equal. Baby = equal.

Mom and pregnancy: 100%
Baby inside and outside mom: 50%
So that is about 25% man and 75% woman, which sound more accurate.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:

1)Yet it doesn't sound like it when you focus on blaming the woman.

2)Also, why does it even matter who is to blame with a woman getting pregnant.

Quote:

1)I'm blaming both men and women for mom getting pregnant.

2)I have a problem with the double standard that's applied to men afterwards.
Can you see any of my post?

Old 01-18-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
So that is about 25% man and 75% woman, which sound more accurate.
Took 2 to make the baby. Both should be equally responsible for raising and supporting. It is or at least should be 50/50 irregardless of your 1800s views.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:06 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
The issue is that the most successful techniques are irreversible, reversible vasectomy procedures are the least successful.

However not to be a smart ass, but, these aren't men who are whining about financially supporting children they want, these are people whining about financially supporting children they have no say in whether they will be born.

Pregnancy/childbirth and the pill are all optional, your proposition is not optional

You don't want to go there, equal protection, if you claim men must be given a vasectomy and have no right over their body, then the same applies to women. You've just successfully overturned legalized abortion in the US.

The issue is quite simple.

Women get to choose whether the pregnancy comes to term, just like currently.

Men get to choose whether they are involved. If they don't want to be provide a legal path where they can remove any legal obligation at the cost of severing any connection with their offspring. Clearly there would need to be punitive procedures for fraud, and irrevocable resumption of obligations (past, current and future) on changes of heart (with consent of the biological parent or legal parents). There also needs to be procedures that protect the mother and child from unwarranted attention from fathers who take that path (because they don't want the financial responsibility), and for the child (or their agent) to at their option find their biological father in future for personal or medical purposes.

I don't know why anyone would have much of a problem with that. It's not affecting womens choice to have children, or not have children at all. it does allow for men to legally remove responsibilities in cases where they disagree with the course set by the mother.
I was being a smart-arse. I know there is no way this would ever happen- although I think more research into reversible methods of birth control for men should be done. It's more of an argument to throw at the pro-lifers who don't seem to have an issue with the government mandating control over a woman's body.

Of course these men have a say if they don't want to be responsible for the children they father- they can keep it zipped, get a vasectomy, use good quality condoms and spermicide in the first place. Just like women should take responsibility too.

What you seem to be basically saying is that men should have the right to not give a stuff if they impregnate a woman and that they can walk away with zero responsibility for their own biological children. It puts 100% responsibility for sex on women. What incentive is that for men to even bother to have safe sex or be careful?

The fact is, once children are born, they need to be raised and supported.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Here's the stats on success rates of vasectomy reversals. Based on this info, but the time a male is in his 30s, his chances of reproducing naturally will decline. He does have the option of freezing sperm, but that's really it.

Leads to overall pregnancy rates of greater than 50%.
Has the greatest chance of success within 3 years of the vasectomy.
Leads to pregnancy only about 30% of the time if the reversal is done 10 years after vasectomy.
With current methods. Which is why I suggested it needs more research. Most research has been around contraception methods for women. If there were better methods of contraception for men they would have better control over whether or not they impregnated a woman.

I wasn't seriously suggesting government mandated reversible vasectomies for all men.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
If both the mother and father are equally responsible, why is it that single moms can turn to public assistance for help?
So can single dads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies