Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:29 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Women have similar options as well though. Other than abstinence neither a woman's options nor a man's are 100% effective. If they were I doubt so many people would be pro-choice.
If women stopped having sex, men would too and trust me they wouldn't be happy about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 04:02 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you assume that a woman magically has a full grown baby in her the moment she is pregnant.

So what choices does a woman have if she gets pregnant and doesn't want to be pregnant? Your choice seems to be "tough luck." Therefore a woman assumes all of the risk of pregnancy and the man assumes none of it.
No, I do not. For most women pregnancy is an inconvenience. If a human life isn't worth 9 months of inconvenience what is it worth?

And no, both partners should share the cost of the pregnancy because it takes two to make a baby. Unfortunately, the way our system is set up, men can just walk on that one if they aren't married to the mother.

Seriously, I think we should take ever 12 year old and sterilize them. Then at age 25 or whatever age we choose for the age of parenthood, they can have the procedure reversed and society pays the bill. This would be a lot cheaper than what we're doing now.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:05 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Women have similar options as well though. Other than abstinence neither a woman's options nor a man's are 100% effective. If they were I doubt so many people would be pro-choice.
So many people are pro choice because they are anti responsibility for their own actions. Having abortion means they can be careless and have a way out if they are.

It's been a while but I read a study on the effects of legal abortion that said that unplanned pregnancies and births go up when you have abortion as an option. Pregnancies go up because couples know they have a way out. Births go up because some of the extra women who get pregnant will find they can't actually stomach the choice to rip their unborn child limb from limb when it actually comes down to doing the deed. The end result is that abortion has not stopped either unplanned pregnancies or births. It's just added a lot of dead babies and scarred women to the equation. If any other medical procedure had the high percentage of psychological issues after the procedure, it would either be banned or require counseling before you could undergo the procedure. Abortion, however, gets men out of the hot seat so neither will happen. Who cares if babies are killed and women emotionally scarred as long as men don't have to take responsibility for the children they created.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:03 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
So many people are pro choice because they are anti responsibility for their own actions. Having abortion means they can be careless and have a way out if they are.

It's been a while but I read a study on the effects of legal abortion that said that unplanned pregnancies and births go up when you have abortion as an option. Pregnancies go up because couples know they have a way out. Births go up because some of the extra women who get pregnant will find they can't actually stomach the choice to rip their unborn child limb from limb when it actually comes down to doing the deed. The end result is that abortion has not stopped either unplanned pregnancies or births. It's just added a lot of dead babies and scarred women to the equation. If any other medical procedure had the high percentage of psychological issues after the procedure, it would either be banned or require counseling before you could undergo the procedure. Abortion, however, gets men out of the hot seat so neither will happen. Who cares if babies are killed and women emotionally scarred as long as men don't have to take responsibility for the children they created.
Anti-responsibility for their own actions?? Really?? That's pretty sad and pathetic. In your mind, is responsibility bringing a child into this world one can't support or give a good life? You really need to get educated. Why don't you read news links from Dreamcatchers For Abused Children. I'm not thrilled about abortion either, but I'd rather see that then a five-week old baby getting beaten to death by a couple of monsters or getting perpetually starved because their druggie parents spend their money on meth. Oh and by the way, pregnancies stay up during abortion periods because people who want families or don't want an abortion know what they think and are not influenced by other people.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
No, I do not. For most women pregnancy is an inconvenience. If a human life isn't worth 9 months of inconvenience what is it worth?

And no, both partners should share the cost of the pregnancy because it takes two to make a baby. Unfortunately, the way our system is set up, men can just walk on that one if they aren't married to the mother.

Seriously, I think we should take ever 12 year old and sterilize them. Then at age 25 or whatever age we choose for the age of parenthood, they can have the procedure reversed and society pays the bill. This would be a lot cheaper than what we're doing now.
Please define inconvenience and tell us how that relates to pregnancy.

Because going by your post, you have no understanding of the risks and costs of pregnancy.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I'm a female in favor of men's reproductive rights.

Women have all the rights to the pregnancy and baby and no responsibility for getting pregnant. When a woman chooses to have sex, she has several things that she can use before sex, during sex, after sex, and once she is pregnant in order to avoid becoming a parent. When a man chooses to have sex, his options are limited. Within the next 20 years, I would like to see men receive reproductive rights.

In many cases, when the two have sex, they are having sex for pleasure not to reproduce. *These are the situations I'm talking about.*

A typical response to this is, “If you’re not prepared to be a father, then don’t have sex!â€, which I find rather strange because it's rare to hear, “If you’re not prepared to be a mother, then don’t have sex!â€. But then again, if she isn't financially prepared, the good 'ol government will help her out by forcing the father to pay child support or give her money.

A comment from this blog that I like.

"It's her body!"
Yeah, well, it's his wallet.

He should've worn a condom
She could've made him wear a condom. *Again, I'm referring to situations where both parties had no intentions of reproducing.

"When a female determines she is pregnant, she has the freedom to decide if she has the maturity level to undertake the responsibilities of motherhood, if she is financially able to support a child, if she is at a place in her career to take the time to have a child, or if she has other concerns precluding her from carrying the child to term. After weighing her options, the female may choose abortion. Once she aborts the fetus, the female's interests in and obligations to the child are terminated. In stark contrast, the unwed father has no options. His responsibilities to the child begin at conception and can only be terminated with the female's decision to abort the fetus or with the mother's decision to give the child up for adoption. Thus, he must rely on the decisions of the female to determine his future. The putative father does not have the luxury, after the fact of conception, to decide that he is not ready for fatherhood. Unlike the female, he has no escape route." -Melanie McCulley, Attorney in South Carolina

I could only go along with this if all women have access to free birth control. Amen!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:

An inconvenience? Having gas is an inconvenience, you clearly have no idea what a woman's body goes through to have a baby.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:50 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
Quote:

Pregnancy is not an inconvience! It permanently changes a woman's body and carries the risk of many complications, both minor and serious, including the risk of death. That is in no way a mere inconvenience.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,201,352 times
Quote:
In my post I clearly stated that I am against the right to financial abortion.

I agree with you that it can't be made "fair." I think it should be made more fair in some way, but I don't really know how.
Yes, I know. I agreed with the whole post. I was simply addressing the general question, and used your post as a starting point because of the interesting idea of what should happen if one could somehow safely remove the embryo, and have a child grow that way. It would be nice if it could be more fair somehow, but at this point I don't see any way. I would certainly encourage any women to have a long conversation with the prospective father, get his opinions, and treat them with respect.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:18 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
I have the right to not reproduce meaning vasectomy regardless of her personal feelings on the matter. Its my body after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies