Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:04 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
And its not like its all that hard to register a corporation. If you know the formalities for something like a basic LLC its pretty straight forward.

I also thought it was funny that they listed a lot of southeast Asian countries as difficult places to start a business. Folks tend not to follow business regulations in a lot of those countries, instead they tend to slip the right civil servant an envelope and the regulations become flexible. Something this study ignores.
So what is holding all of you back? Instead of looking for a job whats taking you so long to start your own business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So what is holding all of you back? Instead of looking for a job whats taking you so long to start your own business?
I do have my own business, and it isn't my first either, but just because I do doesn't mean I am not looking for better stuff do you know how much work it is?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I often question these studies as well because anyone can open up a business here within minutes.

You just sell something, collect the income and operate as a DBA. No need to register anything.

You can do things like get corporations filed etc, but its not required.
Starting a sole propitiator, register for a DBA and hang out a shingle. That's the easy part. Then they have to separate personal checking from business checking, set up a bookkeeping. They will need money to advertise, stock, someone to man the store and phone, the list goes on.

If business is successful then they need to consider changing status to S-Corp, get council.

I don't know why people who think it's easy isn't doing it instead of complaining about those who do.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I do have my own business, but just because I do doesn't mean I am not looking for better stuff.
Better stuff? If your business was successful you should focus on it and grow it instead of looking for "better" stuff.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:10 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
small business just had their income redistributed to big business under the guise of "taxing the rich", the fiscal cliff deal Obama insisted on. Many small businesses may not survive it and will close, less jobs and big business is happy with that. They want to be the only game in town. Less competition for product and services, and less competition for employees. What does this mean, it is an employers market which means they can pay you less.
We should tax those companies more so that they can move their business somewhere else instead of enslaving American people.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Yea after all, people would be happy to live on welfare and the standard of living welfare affords right?
The government can take care of us as long as we make the rich pay for their fair share.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:14 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
The requested resource was not found.

The page may be temporarily unavailable or may no longer exist.
Please return to the Home Page and try again.
Worked for me. Page loaded instantaneously.

Okay, I get it. The study didn't load. The news article does.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The government can take care of us as long as we make the rich pay for their fair share.
Why do you need to be taken care of. Not man enough to take care of yourself?

Enslaved? You are free to start your own business.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:18 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,872 times
Quote:
Better stuff? If your business was successful you should focus on it and grow it instead of looking for "better" stuff.
Various reasons, there are tradeoffs. If you work for someone generally there are likely going to be support staff, and less of your energies need to be focused on administration, getting clients etc. You also have more people who you can bounce ideas off of and collaborate on things with.

Though the biggest advantage is that if you like what you do which I do you can focus more on the doing what you like and less on running a business.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Various reasons, there are tradeoffs. If you work for someone generally there are likely going to be support staff, and less of your energies need to be focused on administration, getting clients etc. You also have more people who you can bounce ideas off of and collaborate on things with.

Though the biggest advantage is that if you like what you do which I do you can focus more on the doing what you like and less on running a business.
So your "better stuff" is working for someone else instead of all the hassles of running your business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies