Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 12:35 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,363,825 times

Advertisements

Who be boo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 09:43 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,555,589 times
We be aiight!!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:18 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,450,604 times
There is no scientific basis at all for the superiority of any language or dialect. It makes me sick to hear anyone think that the dialect they were arbitrarily raised with makes them better than other people.

That being said, the dialect of academia and the professional world is standard American English, and one can't get by speaking a vernacular in professional settings. Too bad.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:20 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Black man speaking here:

Back in the days of the segregated military, the major valid complaint black soldiers had was that they got substandard training--they were not pushed as hard as the white soldiers--and then were thrust into combat.

No, it was not racist. He might be, and he might be grading the black students more harshly. If so, then as a professor of education and information, he's giving reduced value to the white students.

If I didn't know that "indigenous" should not be capitalized, let my professor please tell me.

In any field, if I don't know the job, let my professor's please tell me. If I'm in pilot training and I don't know something about landing a plane, let my flight instructor please tell me. If I'm training for combat and I don't know something about staying alive while under fire, let my drill instructor please tell me.

If I'm studying communication and I don't know the grammar of the people I'm learning to communicate with, let my professor please tell me. If he did not tell me and let me go out without knowing...that would be racism.
Why was racism used as defense when the student knew he was wrong? Wouldn't he want to thank the professor for helping him?

Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 AM

13,984 posts, read 5,644,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Black man speaking here:

Back in the days of the segregated military, the major valid complaint black soldiers had was that they got substandard training--they were not pushed as hard as the white soldiers--and then were thrust into combat.

No, it was not racist. He might be, and he might be grading the black students more harshly. If so, then as a professor of education and information, he's giving reduced value to the white students.

If I didn't know that "indigenous" should not be capitalized, let my professor please tell me.

In any field, if I don't know the job, let my professor's please tell me. If I'm in pilot training and I don't know something about landing a plane, let my flight instructor please tell me. If I'm training for combat and I don't know something about staying alive while under fire, let my drill instructor please tell me.

If I'm studying communication and I don't know the grammar of the people I'm learning to communicate with, let my professor please tell me. If he did not tell me and let me go out without knowing...that would be racism.
and this again makes the point - NOT DOING something because of fear that a difference in race would lead to some issue is just as racist and in the case of the un/under-prepared soldier/pilot/etc, the racial disservice can actually endanger lives.

I teach/tutor mathematics as a side profession, and the nice thing about math is there's nothing subjective about it. No racial implications with proper, rigorous standards about correct/incorrect & methodology in place. And in my days of actually working at a university math tutoring center, I can't recall the exact numbers/percentages of "students of color" I taught (since such statistics are ridiculous anyway) but I know I taught them, and since my expectations never change for any student, regardless of age, gender or race, I know I taught every "student of color" exactly as I would any white student. Nobody ever complained about me, so I guess I did OK treating everyone exactly the same.

This entire story is a cherry picked line item out of a much larger story about the employees of a university vs the grievance system at said university, not one professor correcting spelling/grammar. Granted, I think all universities minus Hillsdale and Grove City are grievance factories at this point, but the story the OP pulls from is a much bigger issue.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:35 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,425,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
There is no scientific basis at all for the superiority of any language or dialect. It makes me sick to hear anyone think that the dialect they were arbitrarily raised with makes them better than other people.

That being said, the dialect of academia and the professional world is standard American English, and one can't get by speaking a vernacular in professional settings. Too bad.
Yeah, too bad homie. Nam sayin' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
To those of you who feel Ebonics should be a recognized language ......

From the urban dictionary

I'm not sure I would use "Urban Dictionary" as a source to make your case. I feel like you can make a strong argument on the lack of merit of "ebonics" alone. Quoting a "crowd source" internet dictionary really just retracts from any credibility of your argument.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:00 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Yeah, too bad homie. Nam sayin' ?

I'm not sure I would use "Urban Dictionary" as a source to make your case. I feel like you can make a strong argument on the lack of merit of "ebonics" alone. Quoting a "crowd source" internet dictionary really just retracts from any credibility of your argument.
You can't knock down the Urban Dictionary.

Meanings change as culture changes. Words enter the language from other sources such as borrowing, new prefixes and suffixes, etc.. Sentences change as speakers use new word orders and word combinations to express old or new meanings. All these types of change interact. For example, "I am going to eat" is a 20th century development, as is the Southern American English "about to" future "I'm fixin' to eat"

Old 01-27-2014, 09:21 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,205,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
So, I read through all three articles, looking for an example of black students complaining about their grammar being critiqued. But, guess what I found? Absolutely no reference in the article to "black"students complaining that they were being more harshly critiqued. Instead, there is a reference to "students of color," which could include black, Hispanic, Asian, Indian, etc. Additionally, one of the articles references Dr. Head's lawsuit and the investigation conducted by UCLA – both of which determined there were discriminatory practices in place at the University. Yet, as usual, this discussion has devolved into "blacks" being victims. How interesting…
Lock thread

Old 01-27-2014, 03:47 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,450,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
So, I read through all three articles, looking for an example of black students complaining about their grammar being critiqued. But, guess what I found? Absolutely no reference in the article to "black"students complaining that they were being more harshly critiqued. Instead, there is a reference to "students of color," which could include black, Hispanic, Asian, Indian, etc. Additionally, one of the articles references Dr. Head's lawsuit and the investigation conducted by UCLA – both of which determined there were discriminatory practices in place at the University. Yet, as usual, this discussion has devolved into "blacks" being victims. How interesting…
Right wingers love feeling outraged over race. Anything mildly racial becomes a story for their centuries-old narrative about how easy black people have it in the USA and how they get more than they ever deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies