Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 10:19 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,937,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Even saying "students of color" CAN be "racist" IMHO since some "Hispanics" are def white and some Asians even have pasty white skin tho I agree 100 percent with what you're saying.
Did ya have to ride the short bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,431,705 times
The biggest irony here is that all the liberal people who defend this silliness are the same people that claim to "value education" more than people on the right. SMH.

Yes, your right, only educated people vote democrat. That must be why every liberal urban area in America has the largest degenerate population and highest HS dropout rate. To be fair though, they do have the highest rate of "aspiring rappers" too. ha. Yeah, a well educated bunch they are.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:31 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,764,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Note this was also in the Graduate School of Education.
These are future teachers.
Thanks, even more important.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,664,437 times
I guess once the school hires their "Discrimination Officer" then that officer can look over the papers and determine if it was a racist action.

What they should do is use a quota system to make sure discrimination isn't happening.
Once they hit their quota for a specific race then all subsequent papers cannot be graded poorly or corrected.

It's quite easy to achieve equality and diversity.
Just force the issue through quotas.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:34 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,496,034 times
Actually, the biggest irony is that the people who are always complaining about black folks are in this thread complaining about black folks, when the article does not specify it was black students making the claim about their grammar being critiqued more harshly.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:36 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,496,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I guess once the school hires their "Discrimination Officer" then that officer can look over the papers and determine if it was a racist action.

What they should do is use a quota system to make sure discrimination isn't happening.
Once they hit their quota for a specific race then all subsequent papers cannot be graded poorly or corrected.

It's quite easy to achieve equality and diversity.
Just force the issue through quotas.
The discrimination officer would not be hired to police student grammar. That person would be hired as a result of UCLA's internal investigation, where they concluded on their own that they were engaged in discriminatory hiring/employment practices.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,664,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
The discrimination officer would not be hired to police student grammar. That person would be hired as a result of UCLA's internal investigation, where they concluded on their own that they were engaged in discriminatory hiring/employment practices.
I thought CA was the epitome of diversity and non discrimination ?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:41 AM

28,715 posts, read 18,900,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Did he also correct the grammer and spelling of illiterate white or Asian students in the class? If so, he was not "racist", he is simply treating everyone equally. No one should get a special pass for stupidity based on their race.

I would like to see the papers that were "corrected".
Black man speaking here:

That might make him racist, but with regarding to those papers he corrected, it does not make him wrong. Actually, if he failed to hold the others to the same standard, he was failing them, not passing them.

College kids always want to get fired up over something. Frequently, they should be ignored, and generally the people who deal with them all the time know what to ignore and what not to ignore--we have to see how this plays out within the university.

We also should learn to ignore media pundits whose profession is to stir up more controversy where controversy is already being handled effectively.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 01-26-2014 at 12:05 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Is it racist to correct black students grammar?
Black man speaking here:

Back in the days of the segregated military, the major valid complaint black soldiers had was that they got substandard training--they were not pushed as hard as the white soldiers--and then were thrust into combat.

No, it was not racist. He might be, and he might be grading the black students more harshly. If so, then as a professor of education and information, he's giving reduced value to the white students.

If I didn't know that "indigenous" should not be capitalized, let my professor please tell me.

In any field, if I don't know the job, let my professor's please tell me. If I'm in pilot training and I don't know something about landing a plane, let my flight instructor please tell me. If I'm training for combat and I don't know something about staying alive while under fire, let my drill instructor please tell me.

If I'm studying communication and I don't know the grammar of the people I'm learning to communicate with, let my professor please tell me. If he did not tell me and let me go out without knowing...that would be racism.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 01-26-2014 at 11:52 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Unbelievable! There is only one correct English.
Well, there is more than one correct "English," and within every English there are many permitted and debated variations.

But those issues aren't under question here.

Please notice that I began the previous sentence with a conjunction. When I was first learning grammar, that was prohibited. Today, however, it's permitted, at least where strict standard grammar is not required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies