Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 11:55 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,794,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Mandatory 10 year sentence for possession an illegal gun, 20 years if you are a felon, life if it's used in a crime.
Good luck... since there's no such thing as an "illegal gun". Unless you have laws that are violating people's rights... and the OP specifically asked for solutions that DON'T violate people's rights.

As I said before, if you feel that committing a certain crime with a gun should get a harsher penalty, then committing the same crime without a gun....

....all it means is that the penalty for committing the crime without a gun, wasn't harsh enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 02:00 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,596 times
Quote:
If someone breaks into my house and steals an unsecured weapon I have and they kill someone I'm to blame for that? See the issue with this? Your placing the responsibility of the actions of the criminal onto the the law abiding citizen.
No actually I don't, but for your negligence in not properly storing your weapon that person would not have been killed with your gun. Now if you had done everything reasonable to secure your gun I think it would be a different story.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post

Canada has strict gun control laws and half of our murder rate.
If I were to estimate it 90% of the households where I live have a gun, gunshots are common yet no one is dying nor are the cops showing up to investigate them because it's perfectly legal. I often wonder what someone like yourself would think if you were standing here and heard some automatic gun fire. The murder rate is 0 for decades. That's not to say someone isn't going to get shot tomorrow but if that happens and it's locals involved it will most likely be domestic or an accident. You have a better chance getting run down by a car getting the mail than you do getting shot and that is not an exaggeration.

As far as the murder rate in Canada when you remove the black on black violence in the US do you know what happens to the murder rate in the US? It plummets to something similar to the typical murder rates in Canada and Europe. Those are just the facts and if you want to hear some extraordinary differences in murder rates I'll be happy to provide you some from my own county.

I'm the problem and neither is 99.9999%of the gun owners out there. If you want effective gun legislation you need to address the problem.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Now if you had done everything reasonable to secure your gun I think it would be a different story.
It's in a locked house. In the rare event I need a weapon I'm not going to fumbling with a gun safe lock.

If someone breaks into my garage and steals my car that they use to kill someone is that my fault?

Old 01-26-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
It's in a locked house. In the rare event I need a weapon I'm not going to fumbling with a gun safe lock.

If someone breaks into my garage and steals my car that they use to kill someone is that my fault?
If you leave your gun or car in such a manner that it is pretty foreseeable that someone could steal use it to kill someone yes. I think you should be held responsible. After all you were in a much better position to ensure your stuff was kept safe then the victim who was shot or run down. The fact is its not about the criminal vs the "law abiding" gun/car owner, its about the person who has to live with the consequences of being seriously hurt or killed and I don't think someone who is negligent in letting a criminal steal their gun and/or car when they should know what is a likely outcome of that event should not be held responsible to the ultimate victim.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
If you leave your gun or car in such a manner that it is pretty foreseeable that someone could steal use it to kill someone yes.
So someone breaks into my locked house and steals my car out of my locked garage I'm responsible if they kill someone with it?

Old 01-26-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
So someone breaks into my locked house and steals my car out of my locked garage I'm responsible if they kill someone with it?
In my personal opinion, if you didn't do everything that reasonable people do to secure their car, and a reasonable person would know that if their car gets stolen it is likely it will be used to harm someone else, yes absolutely. Simply because you were not responsible in securing your car, you knew what the consequences for not being responsible could likely be and now someone else is paying the price. To not hold you responsible would be unfair to the person who was hurt. The same is true for guns.

Though this is just my opinion.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:50 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
Mandatory 10 year sentence for possession an illegal gun, 20 years if you are a felon, life if it's used in a crime.

Name one, just one, illegal gun!

Old 01-26-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
In my personal opinion, if you didn't do everything that reasonable people do to secure their car, and a reasonable person would know that if their car gets stolen it is likely it will be used to harm someone else, yes absolutely. Simply because you were not responsible in securing your car, you knew what the consequences for not being responsible could likely be and now someone else is paying the price. To not hold you responsible would be unfair to the person who was hurt. The same is true for guns.

Though this is just my opinion.
The keys inside a locked house is a reasonable effort, same with the gun.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Name one, just one, illegal gun!
Stolen weapon, sawed off shot gun, class 3 in some states etc. You know what I meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies