Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 02:43 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A prison is a domestic foxhole.
This is just another fantasy of those that believe in fantasies. I have been in life/death situations as a firefighter, and the last damn thing I am going to do is ask some imaginary deity thing for help. My training, my experience, and my fellow firefighters are why I am here to tell you an atheist in a foxhole is still an atheist.

It is funny and quite sad that those suffering the delusion that gods are real automatically think others will just because they are scared at some point. Stupid stupid stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 02:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Atheists are mostly bookworms and nerds who spend their lives thinking, reading, and questioning. Probably mostly college grads, too. That kind of person is much less likely to wind up in prison.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:47 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
True morals are superior to fear based morals of theists.

I really worry about the person that says stuff like "if I weren't a christian, I would kill, rob, or whatever". That is one sick individual without real morals. When only the fear learned from religion keeps one in check, the real person behind the cloak of religion is unethical, immoral to just a common criminal.

Strange, I have never heard a Christian say that

Does that occurrence happen often in the liberal city of Ashville ?

Old 01-26-2014, 02:53 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Depending on the study, about 10% of Americans do not believe in a God.
But the estimated number of incarcerated atheists ranges from .07% to .2% (2 tens of one percent) of all inmates. Apparently godless, heathen, 'amoral' atheists are less likely crimes than professed Christians.

Atheist groups cater to a captive audience: Prisoners | Action Reporter Media | fdlreporter.com
What study did you use to show that there are no or few atheists in prison? Going to a religious meeting gets an inmate out of the pod for awhile, and some inmates have been known to sign up for several different religions. It doesn't mean that they actually believe what they signed up for, it just means that they want a pass to get out of the pod.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Strange, I have never heard a Christian say that

Does that occurrence happen often in the liberal city of Ashville ?
Go hang out in a religious forum, it is a frequent statement, especially when they are going about expressing their ignorance about atheists saying they are immoral because they are not held in check with the fear of the wrath of their god.

And I've heard it in person as a christian groped to express their irrational hatred for atheists.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:54 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Maybe it has more to do with the fact that in prison, going to church services and Bible studies is just something to do to pass the time for many of those incarcerated. There are more benefits to claiming to be a Christian in prison than outside.
Should have read comments first. She beat me to it. That's exactly right.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:14 PM

254 posts, read 318,924 times
Quote:
But the estimated number of incarcerated atheists ranges from .07% to .2% (2 tens of one percent) of all inmates. Apparently godless, heathen, 'amoral' atheists are less likely crimes than professed Christians.

Atheist groups cater to a captive audience: Prisoners | Action Reporter Media | fdlreporter.com
You know... there were/are a lot of atheists in Russia and the former Soviet Collapsed blocs. I'm hazarding a guess you're unaware of the crime that has went on in Russia?

Atheists in the United States tend to be well educated people and work in the professional fields. They are not usually reared in the inner-cities and their social network tends to be more law-abiding citizens (many upper-class Christians among them). And even if these white-collar professionals did commit crimes the whit collar crimes they're more likely to commit won't usually send them to criminal court. They go to civil courts.

Poor people and the working-class go before criminal courts.

From the article:

[quote]
Leslie Zukor was a 19-year-old student at Reed College studying prison rehabilitation programs when something jumped out at her.

While there were programs tackling drug abuse, physical and sexual abuse, technical training and more, all of them were offered by faith-based organizations. Where were the options for those behind bars who are atheists, like her? [/QUOTE]

I believe Reed College is a nationally respected institute of higher learning with a lot of prestige behind its name. My university is UW-Milwaukee. Mostly a sea of young white people. But I'm hazarding a guess that statistically more former students of UW-Milwaukee end up in prison than former students of MIT, Harvard, or Reed. Just a guess. The networking from the latter 3 is incredible. The name recognition from those institutions alone opens doors.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:30 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Religion is a belief set that basically allows you to believe that you have control of your life, the universe and beyond, which in reality is made up of random events. Once you are in prison and are faced with an indisputable reality of having no control over your life, voila--religion. You then have the coping mechanism of religion to allow yourself to believe you have some control and which probably makes prison life more mentally tolerable. Also, if you "find" religion in prison you may allow yourself to believe you are being a "good" person despite the fact that being in prison is society telling you that you are not a good person.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:33 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:

Athiests aren't necessarily "amoral." They simply don't believe in an intelligent higher power.

Religious people aren't necessarily "moral" simply because they practice (or claim to practice) a religion.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:34 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It could also be that atheists are just smarter, and more concerned with wrong/right as a group, than believers (which would be a very diverse grouping)
I'd make the assumption they think more about morality than some religious folk. In a religion, most things are told to you to be 'right' or 'wrong' where as an athiest might delve deeper into the philosophy and reasoning of why something is right or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies