Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,412,454 times

Advertisements

I tend to think much of it has to do with stress. We all seem to be wound very, very tightly today, and I think we see that in our rate of psych issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 10:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Oh, for Pete's Sake! It was always that way. But back in my day, we had family and private charity to pick people up. They didn't go squawking and yelping to the government via MY tax dollars.

Cell phones make people crazier. Shoot, they don't even bother to turn the stupid things off in theaters anymore.

How about we tell them what my mother told me when I got crazy as a kid: SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!!

These days when someone refuses to make an effort, a new disease is born!
Yes --- because now having some kind of mental illness gets you nice SSI checks with housing vouchers, food stamps, free health care. No one would expect you to ever have to lift a finger for anything -- you can lay around playing video games and watching television. You can have a perfect body but claim some kind of stress disorder and the easy life is for you.

Mental illness is actually made worse with idleness, liberals don't understand that work is good for the body and soul.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
Which is why it's better to remain drug free and keep yourself alert.

My kids grew up just fine without even having aspirin or tylenol in the house. No meth to help them get through a boring day at school either. They had to suffer through it all without being stoned out of their minds.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:20 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,496,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Which is why it's better to remain drug free and keep yourself alert.

My kids grew up just fine without even having aspirin or tylenol in the house. No meth to help them get through a boring day at school either. They had to suffer through it all without being stoned out of their minds.
Speaking of meth. Do you know how to identify a meth lab?

Old 02-02-2014, 01:05 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes --- because now having some kind of mental illness gets you nice SSI checks with housing vouchers, food stamps, free health care. No one would expect you to ever have to lift a finger for anything -- you can lay around playing video games and watching television. You can have a perfect body but claim some kind of stress disorder and the easy life is for you.

Mental illness is actually made worse with idleness, liberals don't understand that work is good for the body and soul.
Are you serious? You sound like someone with a mental illness honestly. What does politics have to do with someone being mentally ill? This particular forum is like the home of people with insane beliefs and ideas, the whole notion that your political ties have ANYTHING to do with being mentally ill is really far-reaching.

I'm sure there are some people who lie about having mental illnesses, to abuse the system. That goes with anything. But there are those that have VALID mental illnesses and the fact that this is being downplayed or seen as "pathetic" and not knowing how to deal with life REALLY in my eyes shows how cold SOME people are in this society.

My mother had a mental illness, after 40 something years of being a normal woman, and raising 4 children, all the sudden one day she was hearing voices, becoming increasingly paranoid, and crying(no sobbing everyday writing weird notes in third person), there were a lot of people in my family that *downplayed* it and thought she just needed to pull herself out of it. And she tried. Then she gave up, and one day I came to her home and found her dead, because she committed suicide. I suppose she too was insane because she was *liberal*?

This is why I rarely venture into this sub-forum, it's like home to people that try to narrow down every single thing that's wrong with society into whether someone is liberal or conservative, as if life doesn't transcend *gasps* politics.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Are you serious? You sound like someone with a mental illness honestly. What does politics have to do with someone being mentally ill? This particular forum is like the home of people with insane beliefs and ideas, the whole notion that your political ties have ANYTHING to do with being mentally ill is really far-reaching.

I'm sure there are some people who lie about having mental illnesses, to abuse the system. That goes with anything. But there are those that have VALID mental illnesses and the fact that this is being downplayed or seen as "pathetic" and not knowing how to deal with life REALLY in my eyes shows how cold SOME people are in this society.

My mother had a mental illness, after 40 something years of being a normal woman, and raising 4 children, all the sudden one day she was hearing voices, becoming increasingly paranoid, and crying(no sobbing everyday writing weird notes in third person), there were a lot of people in my family that *downplayed* it and thought she just needed to pull herself out of it. And she tried. Then she gave up, and one day I came to her home and found her dead, because she committed suicide. I suppose she too was insane because she was *liberal*?

This is why I rarely venture into this sub-forum, it's like home to people that try to narrow down every single thing that's wrong with society into whether someone is liberal or conservative, as if life doesn't transcend *gasps* politics.

The notion that work is harmful or that mental illness means you can't do anything at all for a living is certainly a liberal notion.

Mental illness for the purpose of getting SSI checks is not limited to severe psychotics. One in 4 people in this country do not have a serious completely debilitating mental illness.

Work and staying productive is actually good for someone. That's where the politics comes in --- we've got many many millions of Americans laying around doing nothing because working for a living is viewed as a terrible thing.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:33 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,631,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
It's particularly troublesome when those who suffer the most dangerouse forms ... like scociopths and psychopaths seek and attain public office.

As for the statistics ... i'd not immediately accept the claims of the psychiatric community, since just about everything is now considered a mental disorder .... like reading and defending the constitution, and putting Ron Paul bumper stickers on your car.
defending the constitution is also considered anathema by some here, psychology has no place in politics today sadly bcs the inmates are already running the asylum.

Looking at root causes of the mass shootings could be a start, but we the people aren't even allowed to see the videos these days. Stasi state.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,801,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The truly sad thing is, there are people with mental illnesses who really do need help. There's nothing they can do to fix what's wrong, and these problems really do hinder their ability to function. Of course, we have a lot of other people who are just whiners and are not making an attempt to cope with their minor issues. These types make a big fuss over relatively nothing, and occupy all the resources available that should have been better allocated. The system is being drained by parasites of all different varieties.
And how do you determine who really needs help? So far, conservatives in this thread just ridicule anyone who has genuine mental health issues.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:18 PM

804 posts, read 620,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And how do you determine who really needs help? So far, conservatives in this thread just ridicule anyone who has genuine mental health issues.
You ask people in Internet forum? Only a mental health professional could determine this.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:21 AM

Anything subsidized by the government will show big hikes in rates. There is big money for schools when more kids are diagnosed with a mental illness like ADD so they can be added to the special ed. Pharmaceuticals get super rich with more people clamouring for happy pills and adderall. More and more people are finding that claiming some kind of mental illness gets them nice SSI checks and much more. Don't be surprised when 50% or more are diagnosed with sone kind of mental illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies