Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,912,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHW View Post
Because right now we're not making good on the "All men are created equally" claim that we put on the storefront of this country.
This ^^^

Old 02-05-2014, 02:21 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,311,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlymac View Post
Sounds like he either a narcissist or he's terribly insecure about his identity.
Could be either or both. We were all part of a dinner group that broke up mainly because even the other gay men couldn't tolerate this one person's behavior after a short while. None of us wanted every conversation to be about being gay, and all too often about the sexual aspect of being gay.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:29 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,541,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The same-sex marriage issue is everywhere because of the same reason the civil rights struggle was everywhere in the 50s and 60s....it's half past time to right a terrible wrong in this country.
Well-said. Just add the Women's Suffrage Movement from the 1920's, the Equal Rights Amendment from the 1970s, and the Americans with Disabilities Act from the 1990's, and we've got a near-perfect answer.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:40 PM

41,458 posts, read 60,014,463 times
I still marvel over the title of this thread.

IMHO - If adults prefer homosexual sex and want to marry people of their own sex that is their choice and none of my concern. It is none of the government's concern either.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:46 PM

11,109 posts, read 9,896,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podunk NC View Post
lets take it easy and not put same sex marriage on the same level as slavery
No one is, so don't make that claim. No one said "Same-sex marriage bans are as bad as slavery!".

Civil rights are civil rights, regardless of whether or not you think the fact that one civil rights violation was worse than another.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:09 PM

11,109 posts, read 9,896,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podunk NC View Post
Not following your point….your first sentence say no one is, but then go on to say civil rights are civil rights, not one violation is worse than another

my opinion, the violations are not even close….so i will say it again, do not compare SSM bans to Slavery, they aren't in the same hemisphere
Then try reading it again.

Fact - No one said bans on same-sex marriage are as bad as slavery. To be precise, here is the post you complained about:
Because this is our revolution? We've fought for the removal of slavery, votes for women, better working conditions, to end segregation, and now equal rights for marriage.

The common thread there is civil rights (though 'better working conditions' doesn't fall into that category).

And here was your response:
lets take it easy and not put same sex marriage on the same level as slavery

Now, I'll say it again. No one said same-sex marriage bans were as bad as slavery. But same-sex marriage bans and slavery (and the denial of the vote to women, and segregation) were/are civil rights issues. Don't like that fact? Too bad. Insist on suggesting that any acknowledgment that they're all civil rights issues is the same as claiming that same-sex marriage bans are as bad as slavery? Expect that to be called out as BS, because it is.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:24 PM

102,453 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
I have never seen a hetero sexual pride parade....can anyone explain this?
It's unnecessary, because heteros have never been marginalized. They're the norm. They've never been swept under the rug or made illegal, so they've never had to assert themselves or struggle for the right to get married. Or to exist and pursue their liaisons unharassed.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:01 PM

2,402 posts, read 5,258,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
I'm not against same-sex marriage, and I'm not homophobic at all, but why is this thing everywhere I look now? Can't they just take care of business like normal marriages should on their own time and place?
Because we as a people have decided to stand up for our rights. Until heteros stop butchering and brutalizing gays, gay rights is an issue and will continue to be an issue.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:04 PM

76 posts, read 212,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Because we as a people have decided to stand up for our rights. Until heteros stop butchering and brutalizing gays, gay rights is an issue and will continue to be an issue.
If I could make you heterosexual with a pill would you take it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies