Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:15 PM

11,109 posts, read 9,889,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
they have all the privileges of mainstream society. This is not in ANY way a civil rights case.

Gay "equal rights" = special treatment, not equality.
Complete nonsense.

All laws restriction discrimination based on sexual orientation do just that - protect discrimination based on sexual orientation, be that orientation gay or otherwise.

But feel free to cite a law that grants gays special rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for heterosexual marriage and relations.
Non sequitur. That makes as much sense as pointing out that "We all wouldn't be here if birth control was always used effectively"; it is irrelevant to the issue. Barring gays from marrying other gays isn't going to increase heterosexual fecundity.

Quote:
So should siblings be allowed to marry? Or should men be allowed to have several wives?
I have no issue with it.

But as a legal matter, there is no 'sibling orientation' so general bans on brother-sister marriage don't fundamentally deny the right to marry someone of the sort of consenting adult to which one is naturaly attracted - though that's precisely what same-sex marriage bans do. Flail away at that strawman if it makes you feel better, but the entire "If we allow gays to marry then we have to allow siblings to marry!" simply does not follow.

As for polygamy, again, I have no issue with allowing it. But then, I'm not the big government control-freak who can't handle allowing consenting adults to marry who they want to marry. The legal issue would be different, though there may be an Establishment Clause issue there. If a group of men and women sued in court for this right, I certainly wouldn't oppose it.

Quote:
Do you also believe, since you're so up on being free and able to do what you want, that clergy have to marry gay couples if they're asked? If so, I'm wondering where's the freedom in that?
As another poster pointed out, clergy and churches are free to deny for whatever reason to perform marriages of any sort. Various churches refuse to perform inter-faith or inter-denomniational services of various sorts. Are they forced to do so? No. Have any clergy been forced to perform a same-sex marriage in the decade since it was legalized in Massachusetts? No. Same-sex marraige is legal in 17 states. Where has a church or a member of the clergy ever been forced to perform a same-sex marriage? It has never happened. Why? The Establishment Clause guarantees churches the right to conduct their private affairs privately.

Of course, businesses are a different story. A business can no more refuse (in those states that have chosen to enact laws preventing discrimination based on sexual orientation) to serve someone who is gay than they can refuse to serve someone who is Jewish or Christian or a woman or a black or a member of whatever protected class. If bigotry is more important to someone than their business, that's their problem.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:27 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,202,891 times
Quote:
Slavery is not the same as gays wanting to be married. Slaves were treated like property or animals, whether they marrier or not. Please, stop disrespecting slavery.
Please stop disrespecting gay people.

Quote:
Stop mocking black people. That has nothing to do with a sexual behavior.
Neither does being gay. Orientation and behavior are entirely different things.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:29 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,825,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
I'm not against same-sex marriage, and I'm not homophobic at all, but why is this thing everywhere I look now? Can't they just take care of business like normal marriages should on their own time and place?
Who's shoving it down your throat? Does someone have a gun to your head threatening you if you don't marry someone of your sex. ?

Old 02-04-2014, 01:32 PM

11,495 posts, read 27,003,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
How exactly is homosexual marriage more likely to lead to incest or polygamy than heterosexual marriage? This argument makes absolutely no sense.
I went to Catholic school and they told us the answer to that one, as far as having multiple partners: It was because there's only one way for a man and a woman to fit together and the union is complete. But with gay men, you can add a few more on either end.

No kidding. We had a religion class taught by a deacon (this was in high school) and he showed us a public health film about safe sex for gay men including golden showers, and then somebody asked what exactly God had against gay sex, and the deacon told us that.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:54 PM

861 posts, read 1,117,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
How exactly is homosexual marriage more likely to lead to incest or polygamy than heterosexual marriage? This argument makes absolutely no sense.
I didn't say it would lead to it. I just asked who else is being denied the right to marry.

Should siblings marry, if they want? Should men have more than one wife?

Old 02-04-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Non sequitur. That makes as much sense as pointing out that "We all wouldn't be here if birth control was always used effectively"; it is irrelevant to the issue. Barring gays from marrying other gays isn't going to increase heterosexual fecundity.
I never said it would. I was responding to a poster stating that heterosexuality is shoved down our throats. Then, I stated that none of us would be here if not for heterosexuality. I'm glad our mothers and fathers got together and we all are here today.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Please stop disrespecting gay people.
How did I disrespect gay people?

However, comparing them to slaves who were treated as property is disrespecting slavery. Gay people cannot be compared to slaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
.Neither does being gay. Orientation and behavior are entirely different things.
Race and sexual behavior/preferences/orientation is totally different than race and slavery. Please, stop piggybacking off of slavery.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:07 PM

790 posts, read 1,275,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What have "people that flip burgers" to do with the rain in Spain or this thread? Are you claiming they're all gays or lesbians and that being allowed to marry will lead to political and economic destruction? That's pretty strong stuff coming from the guy who claimed he wasn't a homophobe.
My point was that the "equality agenda" has nothing to do with making things "equal" but it sure has a lot to do with an AGENDA!

Old 02-04-2014, 03:20 PM

11,109 posts, read 9,889,921 times
Quote:
I never said it would. I was responding to a poster stating that heterosexuality is shoved down our throats. Then, I stated that none of us would be here if not for heterosexuality. I'm glad our mothers and fathers got together and we all are here today.
I'm guessing notyouraveragebear was pointing out that he 'could say the same' as an illustration of how bogus the charge is, though I'm not surprised that eluded you.

I'm glad I was born, too. I'm glad my parents did not use birth control, or abstain, the night I was conceived. It would be beyond moronic to thereby conclude that I do not think there birth control or abstention should ever be practiced. Or, for that matter, homosexuality.

You observation remains a non sequitur, no matter how much you insist you weren't discussing the issue at large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
My point was that the "equality agenda" has nothing to do with making things "equal" but it sure has a lot to do with an AGENDA!
No, it has everything to do with equality.

But in order to rationalize your anti-gay animus, you have to insist that it doesn't so that your ire seems - probably, even to yourself - to be directed elsewhere. Thus, your completely baseless 'shoved down our throats' charge. You're just pretending - again, probably even to yourself, in order to assuage some level of guilt you feel for disliking people for who you know they naturally are - not to have a problem with gays but with some nebulous 'agenda'. Your posturing is very transparent.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I'm guessing notyouraveragebear was pointing out that he 'could say the same' as an illustration of how bogus the charge is, though I'm not surprised that eluded you.

I'm glad I was born, too. I'm glad my parents did not use birth control, or abstain, the night I was conceived. It would be beyond moronic to thereby conclude that I do not think there birth control or abstention should ever be practiced. Or, for that matter, homosexuality.
I didn't say anything shouldn't be practiced. I just said that I'm glad that mothers and fathers came together and created us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies