Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:34 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times

Advertisements

I'd never heard the term either. Since it's from The Economist, I thought it was a misspelling at first...after all they're always saying colour or favour or honour. But no, from Wikipedia - "Assortative mating is a nonrandom mating pattern in which individuals with similar genotypes and/or phenotypes mate with one another more frequently than what would be expected under a random mating pattern." I know, yawn.
Assortative mating - Wikipedia, the free
encyclopedia

Essentially, like marries like, and according to The Economist - "Nowadays, successful men are more likely to marry successful women." Why is this a bad thing? Well - "assortative mating (the tendency of similar people to marry each other) aggravates inequality between households—two married lawyers are much richer than a single mother who stacks shelves." Assortative mating: Sex, brains and inequality | The Economist

It's those damn rich people again screwing everything up. Feminism won, women are more highly educated and taking better paying jobs, but instead of marrying dumb guys they're marrying in kind. Makes sense, unless you're a liberal and the idea of the unfairness of income inequality just buzzes your brain.

And this is just the kind of thing that buzzes the brainiacs at Salon, and they suggest "the sensible role of policy is to lean against possible negative side effects." Assortative mating: People marrying similar people is raising income inequality by 25 percent.

Really? How you lefties going to pull that off?

Last edited by Dockside; 02-10-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 10:52 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Why marry someone who brings nothing to the relationship except their inability to earn a living?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Good grief!

That concept is nothing new, and has nothing to do with 'sexual equality'.

Back in the 'olden days' women didn't necessarily work outside the home, but the wealthy men married the women from wealthy families.

Ditto 'rich'.

Ditto 'working class'.

Ditto 'poor'.

There's not much new under the sun, you know, at least when it comes to human behavior.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:32 AM

13,965 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Like marries like. Pretty simple.

And I doubt anyone gets married pondering how their choice of spouse will impact national socioeconomic statistics of zero importance.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:50 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Good grief!

That concept is nothing new, and has nothing to do with 'sexual equality'.

Back in the 'olden days' women didn't necessarily work outside the home, but the wealthy men married the women from wealthy families.

Ditto 'rich'.

Ditto 'working class'.

Ditto 'poor'.

There's not much new under the sun, you know, at least when it comes to human behavior.
Of course there's nothing new about this, but you know full well the left is in a furor about income inequality and determined to use the government to correct what they percieve as any and all social injustices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The Economist is a British publication. Therefore, they're spelling it correctly. Educate yourself.
Ah jeez, 30 years of reading The Economist and it finally takes a Canuck to tell me where it's published (is Mark Steyn the only Canadian with a sense of humour?).

Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
My wife is my equal, this isn't anything new. Not sure what you are trying to blame on the left.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Like marries like. Pretty simple.

And I doubt anyone gets married pondering how their choice of spouse will impact national socioeconomic statistics of zero importance.

People tend to "marry up" , not down. There is no value in taking on a "dependent" and then trying to treat them as an equal.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:04 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,531,877 times
Start a program to hook up good looking poor guys with rich professional single women. Then all this can be evened out.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:14 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Of course there's nothing new about this, but you know full well the left is in a furor about income inequality and determined to use the government to correct what they percieve as any and all social injustices.

I thought the right was working on that problem; you know, denying abortions, making birth control harder to get, cutting education funding, etc., essentially moving women backward 50 or so years in order to recapture the 'good old days' of the Cleavers and Father Knows Best. No sexual equality then, by gum!

It seems some on the right are misinterpreting the phrase 'income inequality'. What does it mean to you?

If a company can afford to pay its middle and top tier people more money than they can possibly spend, but pay its lowest-paid workers so little that they must rely on welfare and/or food stamps to meet basic needs, well, that, to me, is income inequality.

I have a feeling that you would interpret that phrase differently.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:24 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Why marry someone who brings nothing to the relationship except their inability to earn a living?
Because people like that most likely have a lot of charm and sex appeal. They've spent their lives learning how to take from others and be desirable in the process. Beware the hormones, people! They'll steer you wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies