Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:27 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
African Americans learned how to be violent from white people. Who says we couldn't learn?!
lol!

yeah, there was never a single incident of violence in africa before wicked ol' whitey showed up.
not so much as a cheek-slap.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Excuse me? I was the only one being followed in the store. I was the only Black person in the store that day. What would that look like? So I'm insecure because I told of my experience? I have a question. Can you refute anything I have just said based on my experience? I'm talking about what I experienced on that day.
I'm not trying to refute anything. Obviously one person can only follow one person at a time. I don't doubt your experience, whether perceived or real, I'm sure something happened. I do question your ability to know and sense everything going on in a store all at once, however.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:33 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,504 times
Quote:
There might be many who would celebrate Black culture in Britain. On other hand, does it refute that there are many who still have ill feelings towards Blacks?

The way I see it, just because there are many who celebrate a certain culture, it does not refute that there are those who hold prejudice feelings.

Racism in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Discrimination and Racism in the UK | InterNations.org

Is Britain a racist nation? One in three Brits 'admits to being racist', according to poll | Mail Online

PressTV - Racism eating away at Britain fabric: Analyst
Many long time racial campaigners believe that racism in modern Britain is less to do with the white population and more to do with different ethnic and religious groups and immigrants being racist towards one another.

Mark Townsend: The new colour of British racism | UK news | The Observer

Darcus Howe: Turning on each other | World news | The Guardian

Old 02-20-2014, 09:39 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
I'm not trying to refute anything. Obviously one person can only follow one person at a time. I don't doubt your experience, whether perceived or real, I'm sure something happened. I do question your ability to know and sense everything going on in a store all at once, however.
One person can only follow one person at a time. However, why was I picked? How come no one else was picked. Why only me?

The bookstore was in a mall. It was a smaller space than most bookstore. I was in the middle of the store too, so I could see alot of stuff going on. Also, the register can be seen from the center of the bookstore. And this is how it happened.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:43 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,661 times
Quote:
One person can only follow one person at a time. However, why was I picked? How come no one else was picked. Why only me?

The bookstore was in a mall. It was a smaller space than most bookstore. I was in the middle of the store too, so I could see alot of stuff going on. Also, the register can be seen from the center of the bookstore. And this is how it happened.
Who knows , maybe since you were in a suit they wanted to attend to you and give you a more superior service as opposed to some skateboarders . I have NO problem when someone comes up to me and asks me how they can help me..

If thats how you see things then it will come off racist otherwise it would come off as a nice gesture the cashier made to you. Seriously .

Old 02-20-2014, 09:47 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Who knows , maybe since you were in a suit they wanted to attend to you and give you a more superior service as opposed to some skateboarders . I have NO problem when someone comes up to me and asks me how they can help me..

If thats how you see things then it will come off racist otherwise it would come off as a nice gesture the cashier made to you. Seriously .
But how would I know if that is what they are really doing? Having worked in retail before, it is rare for people do go and follow someone in a store. I like wearing suits, but I figured that if I wore a suit, no one would follow me in a store.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post

Videos like these further validate that racism in America is structural and embedded into the fiber of its institutions, which means there is no such thing as equal justice. White privilege is alive and well, ask Michael Dunn.
They pretty much validate that when a black guy is seen trying to break into a car, a guy decides to call the cops (as the video shows), while when a white guy does it, no one called the cops, that time.

Could it be due to the fact that people know that far higher percentages of crimes (in proportion to population) are committed by black people, than by white people?

Maybe the guy who called the cops, overreacted. (And maybe he didn't.)

But the point is, he had a reason for his reaction.

If you don't like that, then perhaps you can do something to get the black people who commit such excessive numbers of crimes, to stop doing it.

That would be far more appropriate than complaining that the guy who called the cops, was doing something he shouldn't.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why is this the case?

Blacks commit more crimes proportionally than whites.

Want to change the perception of the people in the video? Tell the black community to stop committing so many crimes. Perhaps when and if this occurs, public perception would change.

If one was swimming and saw a carp, vs a great white shark, approaching you, which one would worry you most?
Were we committing all the crimes back when we were being beaten and lynched??

That was the same line used back then.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:57 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Most of you people are missing the big picture here. People lock their keys in cars sometimes and do this same method to unlock it. The big difference was the presence of the 2. The white guy was dressed clean cut and looked like your average joe , as they black male was dressed down to a " thug " appearance.

Most cops and people will react to a " thug " appearance , doesnt matter if you are black , white , hispanic , or asian.

Another problem is that most crimes in the USA are committed by the black community.
The white guy had on a t-shirt and jeans.
The black guy had on a tshirt, jacket and pants. How exactly is that a thug uniform?

You say that the problem is that most crimes in the US are committed by black people, but the video alone tells you that white crime often goes undetected.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
The white guy had on a t-shirt and jeans.
The black guy had on a tshirt, jacket and pants. How exactly is that a thug uniform?

You say that the problem is that most crimes in the US are committed by black people, but the video alone tells you that white crime often goes undetected.
how does this single, staged incident 'tell us' this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies