Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 10:45 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
As I said, there's nothing I can do to help you with it, besides give the advice I already gave.
Why on earth would this poster take advice from someone like you? You're funny!

Old 02-20-2014, 10:52 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,838,522 times
To sum this up, white people think racism rarely happens, black people think it happens too often.

The correct answer is neither of them, but somewhere in the middle.

It is fact though that when a black person and a white person do commit a crime, the white person will normally get a shorter sentence and it is a fact that a black person is more scrutinized in public then a white person.

If there were no institutionalized racism, then you would see equal scrutiny in public and equal sentencing in the court system.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:01 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Well, duh, because we are scrutinized more! We are pulled over more, questioned more, called the police on more, etc. Your statement actually proves my point. Blacks get busted because the cops are called. White criminals don't get busted because they are given the benefit of the doubt and not presumed to be up to no good (when in fact, they are).
So then the BLACK race should wake up and start changing their ways. If i dress up like a thug or gangsta the same thing will happen to me regardless of my color. I see a lot of older adult blacks that still act rude , ghetto , lazy , and act like someone that is NOT black owes them something. I see a lot of older blacks dress up like a thug or gangsta. The majority of black people pick this lifestyle and that is the problem. Black people need to get out of this mentality of trying to be different then everyone else and leave all the race card racist BS behind. Majority of the time on the news you will see a black suspect. These are just a few things the black community should consider looking at.

I am a white male , but look puerto rican to some and italian to others. When i was in my younger days i was involved with the wrong people and was in the whole " thug " lifestyle. So yes i know what its like to be treated differently , but now i have done a 360 in life many years ago and have had no issues with anything.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
So then the BLACK race should wake up and start changing their ways. If i dress up like a thug or gangsta the same thing will happen to me regardless of my color. I see a lot of older adult blacks that still act rude , ghetto , lazy , and act like someone that is NOT black owes them something. I see a lot of older blacks dress up like a thug or gangsta. The majority of black people pick this lifestyle and that is the problem. Black people need to get out of this mentality of trying to be different then everyone else and leave all the race card racist BS behind. Majority of the time on the news you will see a black suspect. These are just a few things the black community should consider looking at.

I am a white male , but look puerto rican to some and italian to others. When i was in my younger days i was involved with the wrong people and was in the whole " thug " lifestyle. So yes i know what its like to be treated differently , but now i have done a 360 in life many years ago and have had no issues with anything.
You sound...

There are plenty of wealthy, upper and middle class black people in America who don't dress like a thug. And what does dressing like a thug even mean? Like the white gangsters who favor Italian suits? Or do you mean wearing a hoodie...pretty much the staple of every college kid's wardrobe? Not to mention that I don't think the way you dress should have any bearing on how you are treated. You shouldn't have to assimilate and/or look like a WASP to be treated with respect.

I'm willing to bet you don't know ANY black people who believe they are owed something. That is not the way people, with rational minds, think. In fact, I would wager that I have a lot more than the folks making this assertion, so the idea that I want something from them is laughable.

You say that you mostly see black people on the news for crimes, COMPLETELY missing the point that you see them because they were scrutinized and caught. Meanwhile, a criminal in Kentucky went undetected and is at home sleeping in his bed.

It's sad that this video doesn't cause folks to wake up, but instead causes you to bury your head even deeper in the sand. A criminal is a criminal and if someone is up to no good, they should be arrested. Skin color should not factor in at all. If I'm murdered, whether the perp is white, black or anything else, my ass is still dead!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
What if I was swimming as saw a black shark and a white shark...and I swam away from the black shark in fear and the white shark eats me...

What did I learn before I became bait?
I'm sorry, you need to try again because that was just ridiculous.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,661 times
Quote:
You sound...

There are plenty of wealthy, upper and middle class black people in America who don't dress like a thug. And what does dressing like a thug even mean? Like the white gangsters who favor Italian suits? Or do you mean wearing a hoodie...pretty much the staple of every college kid's wardrobe? Not to mention that I don't think the way you dress should have any bearing on how you are treated. You shouldn't have to assimilate and/or look like a WASP to be treated with respect.

I'm willing to bet you don't know ANY black people who believe they are owed something. That is not the way people, with rational minds, think. In fact, I would wager that I have a lot more than the folks making this assertion, so the idea that I want something from them is laughable.

You say that you mostly see black people on the news for crimes, COMPLETELY missing the point that you see them because they were scrutinized and caught. Meanwhile, a criminal in Kentucky went undetected and is at home sleeping in his bed.

It's sad that this video doesn't cause folks to wake up, but instead causes you to bury your head even deeper in the sand. A criminal is a criminal and if someone is up to no good, they should be arrested. Skin color should not factor in at all. If I'm murdered, whether the perp is white, black or anything else, my ass is still dead!
Well i agree , whoever commits a crime should be arrested. Listen you can assume or think what you want but i have worked in the outskirts of Newark NJ , areas that are know of Orange , East Orange, and Irvington for MANY years so i have dealt with A LOT. You ever been that way?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
To be honest it's not always racial profiling, it's how someone presents themselves.

Given these two subjects in my country, I know which one I would think was trying to steal the car if the experiment was repeated.
That's what I want to see. To prove anything, they should have run this test right after their first one.

I want to see an experiment with a well dressed black man "breaking in to" a car, and a dirty, messy looking white guy trying to "break in to" the same car. See how people react then. I'll bet you that the black man wouldn't have cops called on him, but the white grungy looking guy would. It IS in how you present yourself.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Actually, this thread shows that blacks and whites possibly commit the SAME level of crimes, but because blacks are scrutinized more, they get caught more. This video makes that plenty plain. If this were a real crime, the white guy would be just as criminal as the black guy, except he would get away with his crime.

We see this happening in the drug world. Drug use/selling is RAMPANT among white people, but it's the brown/black folks taking up space in our prisons.
Wish I could give you 20 reps for this!

Many of you posters fail to realize that it is untrue that black people commit more crime proportionally. It is only true that black people are scrutinized and harassed more by police so it is easier to catch a black criminal than white due to the fear society has of black men in general.

The fact that so many of you fail to realize this (as if the white man was not committing a crime - he will not be on any statistics since he didn't get caught) is an example of the ignorance about race and crime.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That's what I want to see. To prove anything, they should have run this test right after their first one.

I want to see an experiment with a well dressed black man "breaking in to" a car, and a dirty, messy looking white guy trying to "break in to" the same car. See how people react then. I'll bet you that the black man wouldn't have cops called on him, but the white grungy looking guy would. It IS in how you present yourself.
They have done this on the 20/20 show before and got similar responses to what is shown on the OP video - the black guy got way more attention and more people called the cops on him versus the scruffy white guy.

I'm sure you have heard of (and if not here you go) of the joke:

What do you call a black man in a suit?

A N*gg**

Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Well i agree , whoever commits a crime should be arrested. Listen you can assume or think what you want but i have worked in the outskirts of Newark NJ , areas that are know of Orange , East Orange, and Irvington for MANY years so i have dealt with A LOT. You ever been that way?
Dealt with a lot of what?

And to answer your question, I grew up in the projects of DC in the 80's: the height of the crack epidemic. My house was two doors down from a crack house and my mother didn't allow us to go outside to play because there were needles in the grass near that house. I've seen people shot, stabbed, etc. So, yeah, you could say I've seen some stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies