Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:37 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,373,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Yeah but what percent is coming from Wood burning stoves?

I would get that a very cold place like Montreal they are probably used excessively.

But New Mexico? Please, Im sure wood buring stoves are not a huge polluting problem.
The fact remains that they are polluting and bad for the lungs. What do you suggest? You can use them 3 times a year, but not 6 times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 11:38 AM

23,706 posts, read 17,381,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
We're banning wood stoves up here as well, because they're incredibly polluting.
Must be Obama's fault.
Damn, that guy gets around.
New world order.... agenda 21..... global community shares dumb ideas..... one world government....

enjoy!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,181,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
Burning wood is not polluting period. There should be no regulations on any stove that burns wood.
Oh my god. Honestly, how does one get thru life with such a limited understanding of basic things? Please, do a simple google search before you post.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,625,790 times
My brother's house is primarily heated with a wood burning stove and supplemented with electric, and it's extremely efficient and puts out a lot of heat. So when his furnace needs to eventually be replaced, he will have to install a lower-efficiency model and use more electricity.

Many rural homes NEED a fire-burning option because blizzards can cause blackouts for days. What are they supposed to do if power is out and they don't have a gas option?

Is it a ban? No, but its more restrictions that are being pushed on people who live very differently than city dwellers. Liberals scream when restrictions on what they find important are proposed, so why is this any different? Proposed changes to gun laws, volunteer fire departments and this new stove proposal directly effect the lives of rural Americans. How big of a problem are these stoves anyway, when we have so many larger items to worry about?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:45 AM

79,039 posts, read 61,188,198 times
Let's recap:

OP claims Obama banning wood stoves.

Then we find out that's been around a while and the whole thread is a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You waited 26 years to blame Obama.

1988: EPA Phase I emission standards enforced, requiring stoves to be manufactured to emit less than 8.5 grams per hour.

The Alliance for Green Heat
To which the OP then tries to change the subject.

Quote:
That is a regulation that should never have been implimented.
I'd not seen such a lopsided beating since Bambi vs. Godzilla.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,278,981 times
Personally for me Wood=Work. As long as my ground source heat pump keeps my house warm I will never turn to cutting, chopping and splitting wood. That said to each his own. It's easy to say no big deal just go buy a wood stove that meets the new EPA regulations. It's only money right? I would hazard to guess that most folks using wood as a primary source of heat do so because they don't make 80 g a year like I do. I have no idea if there is price increase for the new EPA approved stoves. I think wood stoves are small fish compared to the pollution created by AirForce 1 whenever any President uses it for campaign trips, vacations or goodwill tours.

I would hazard that when a member of congress decides to use military jets to go visit the troops there is whole lot more pollution involved.
I would hazard that when the Navy or air force does their flybys for sporting events it creates more pollution than those wood burners.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:52 AM

25,842 posts, read 20,785,828 times
Quote:
Burning wood is not polluting period. There should be no regulations on any stove that burns wood.
Really?

Are you aware of the regulations in parts of your putative state?

"The Maricopa County Air Quality Department regulates the use of wood burning in residential fireplaces, woodstoves and outdoor burning devices during periods of high particulate matter (dust) pollution. County Ordinance P-26 provides the framework for regulation of wood burning when air quality monitoring or forecasting indicates that air quality standards are likely to be exceeded."

Residential Fireplaces and Burning - Maricopa County Air Quality Department

Old 02-20-2014, 12:13 PM

39,947 posts, read 26,672,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You waited 26 years to blame Obama.

1988: EPA Phase I emission standards enforced, requiring stoves to be manufactured to emit less than 8.5 grams per hour.

The Alliance for Green Heat
Those standards are currently in effect and have had a positive impact. At great cost in terms of redesign and moreso the testing and certification of the stoves. The plan from the Booboo administration is to take those standards to another level. One much harder and more expensive to achieve, that will require more testing and espensive recertification of existing stoves and that will drive higher costs to the consumer. The companies that produce wood stoves are small, closer to "mom and pop" operations than Ford. These costs will undoubtably kill smaller manufacturers. The cost/benefit of taking us from where we were to where we are, vs current standards to the proposed ones, don't make sense. Do try to keep up.

The real issue is that those standards (or even the current ones) are only met under specific test conditions. It's up to the operator to run the stove in such a manner that it functions as tested.

If anyone wants to learn more about wood burning appliances, here is a good source: http://www.hearth.com/

Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 PM

33,633 posts, read 37,291,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Those standards are currently in effect and have had a positive impact. At great cost in terms of redesign and moreso the testing and certification of the stoves. The plan from the Booboo administration is to take those standards to another level. One much harder and more expensive to achieve, that will require more testing and espensive recertification of existing stoves and that will drive higher costs to the consumer. The companies that produce wood stoves are small, closer to "mom and pop" operations than Ford. These costs will undoubtably kill smaller manufacturers. The cost/benefit of taking us from where we were to where we are, vs current standards to the proposed ones, don't make sense. Do try to keep up.

The real issue is that those standards (or even the current ones) are only met under specific test conditions. It's up to the operator to run the stove in such a manner that it functions as tested.

If anyone wants to learn more about wood burning appliances, here is a good source: Hearth.com - Information on Fireplaces, Wood Stoves, Pellet Stoves, etc.
The new level is not all that much higher than the old, and I'm sure the stoves in use now could be modified to meet the new standards....

The EPA tightened restrictions in January on the level of fine airborne particulate emissions that wood-burning stoves can emit, from 15 micrograms per cubic meter to a maximum of 12 micrograms.

Why do people always make mountains out of mole hills?

Old 02-20-2014, 12:43 PM

423 posts, read 415,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The great President Obama has, as usual, taken the superior position here. Why be upset because your party didn't think of it?
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're being facetious with your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies