Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 02:33 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,454,913 times

Advertisements

Do you really think there's any real chance it won't be legal everywhere in the country within 5-10 years? If not, why are you continuing to make such a big deal out of it?

Old 02-19-2014, 02:06 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,027 times
I just hope it isn't everywhere in 5-10 years. That would be a sad state of affairs. I am against it, and the others probably agree we think it is wrong, we don't believe homosexuality is ok, and so we don't want gay marriage approved. It is simple.
God Bless you.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:22 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Do you really think there's any real chance it won't be legal everywhere in the country within 5-10 years? If not, why are you continuing to make such a big deal out of it?
They aren't the ones making a big deal out of it, you guys are. If straight marriages got this much attention there would never be any remaining spots on the news.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:28 PM

108 posts, read 110,698 times
I'm tired of the gay brigade. So obsessed with themselves and what they do to each other. Boring as hell.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:32 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
They aren't the ones making a big deal out of it, you guys are. If straight marriages got this much attention there would never be any remaining spots on the news.
That's exactly like a segregationist saying, "We're not the ones making a big deal out of sitting at a lunch counter, you are."

Old 02-19-2014, 02:35 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,454,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I'm a supporter, but certainly not some extremely passionate supporter (and I'm straight). I guess I'm just wondering why opponents on this forum spend so much energy arguing against it and why you don't seem to see where it's headed? I only occasionally participate in those threads, but I see they go on for days and rack up hundreds of posts.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:49 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:
I'm not your target audience (I wholeheatedly support legalizing same-sex marriage), but I will make this comment:

Most likely, it will be one or two years, not five to ten.

Frankly, I don't think most people understand that by this summer there are likely to be numerous rulings on this issue by circuit courts - one out of the Ninth (the Nevada case), two out of the Tenth (the Utah and Oklahoma cases), one out of the Fourth (Virginia) being very likely, and rulings from other Circuits (three out of the Sixth: Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky and one out of the Fifth: Texas) being possible as well. Among others.

First, some of these rulings are probably going to strike down same-sex marriage bans. In most cases, such rulings would invalidate the bans not just in the state but in the entire circuit (ie, in the Virginia case, were the Fourth to strike down the state ban, the most likely rulings would also nullify bans in the rest of the Fourth Circuit, which consists of not only Virginia but also Maryland - which already allows same-sex marriage - as well as West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina). When the decisions are inevitably appealed to the United States Supreme Court, if it refused to address the issue, such rulings would stand, and same-sex marriage would be unconstitutional in South Carolina - but not next door in Georgia. That's called a Circuit split, and the high court hates circuit splits on high-profile issues, so it would almost certainly agree to hear the appeals (probably consolidating several of them into one case).

So, it's before the Supreme Court. Then what? I'll tell you what: Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, Kagan and Kennedy, that's what. And that will be that.

Simply gaming this out to its most likely conclusion, the high court agrees in conference next fall to grant cert to an appeal of a case involving the constitutionality of same-sex marriage bans. The case is heard during the 2014-15 session, with a decision coming before the customary deadline of July 4 (2015).

Game, set match.

Your point about knowing when politically to cut bait is apt. But politicians in certain districts where same-sex marriage is still strongly opposed are going to posture as though they can stop it (yeah, I'm looking at you, Senator Cruz) even though they themselves probably know it's inevitable, in order to establish their conservative bonafides and play for votes. And plenty of unthinking voters will buy it, hook line and sinker.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:52 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
I'm a supporter, but certainly not some extremely passionate supporter (and I'm straight). I guess I'm just wondering why opponents on this forum spend so much energy arguing against it and why you don't seem to see where it's headed? I only occasionally participate in those threads, but I see they go on for days and rack up hundreds of posts.

I agree. People should worry about themselves, and their own morality instead of worrying what 2 consenting adults do, when it has no bearing on their own lives.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:53 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
I am against it.

Gays seem to want special laws for themselves.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:56 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times
Quote:
Because we want the choice to be ours to make, not forced on us against our will by the courts, or some far away federal bureaucrats and politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies