Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:08 AM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times

Advertisements

UPDATE: In the latest twist in the AZ anti-gay bill passage, three GOP senators have now had a change of heart and are urging Brewer to veto the bill. It would seem that this should be the nail in the coffin for the measure, but in this state, who knows?

http://www.azcentral.com/ic/pdf/sb1062-veto-request.pdf

Old 02-24-2014, 11:38 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,410 times
How is the bill anti gay ?

Old 02-24-2014, 11:45 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
UPDATE: In the latest twist in the AZ anti-gay bill passage, three GOP senators have now had a change of heart and are urging Brewer to veto the bill. It would seem that this should be the nail in the coffin for the measure, but in this state, who knows?

http://www.azcentral.com/ic/pdf/sb1062-veto-request.pdf
Uh, I was for it before I was against it, until I run for re-election, when I will be for it again!!

Old 02-24-2014, 11:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
They know that it'll hurt our state's image ..and that the state is going to have to defend it in federal court where it WILL lose.

Brewer is an idiot so I'm not sure what she'll do, but she'd better pass on this one.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
How is the bill anti gay ?
They think that the bill will allow businesses to refuse gay people on every service based on an owner citing religious reasons. Of course this is not true at all because every case would have to through a court and be reviewed , but thanks to the liberal media and gay activst propaganda, many people are very misinformed.

This is why most people should not be talking about politics. They don't think for themselves or do their own research. Most people just let people on TV or elsewhere tell them how to feel and think. Hell I bet that most people here didn't even read the bill.

The bill is simply protecting the Religious Rights of business owners. As seen in the case of the Oregon Bakery and how the gay mafia destroyed them, bills like this are completely necessary and should be made mandatory in every state. Religious Rights are protected the Constitution too.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:52 AM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Uh, I was for it before I was against it, until I run for re-election, when I will be for it again!!
They underestimated things for sure. The reaction to this bill has been overwhelmingly negative in AZ. Everyone from the businesses to the churches are condemning it. I haven't heard the LDS church come out against it yet, but that may be coming and, of course, that would be the end of it right there. When SB1070 - the illegal immigration bill that made headlines. passed there was broad support. Maybe they figured it would be the same with a bill aimed at gays.

BTW, Brewer is out of state until tomorrow, so the controversy should rage for at least another day. So far, the legislative leaders are refusing to bring the bill up for reconsideration. That could change if more defect. These guys might want to have this one back.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
They think that the bill will allow businesses to refuse gay people on every service based on an owner citing religious reasons. Of course this is not true at all because every case would have to through a court and be reviewed , but thanks to the liberal media and gay activst propaganda, many people are very misinformed.

This is why most people should not be talking about politics. They don't think for themselves or do their own research. Most people just let people on TV or elsewhere tell them how to feel and think. Hell I bet that most people here didn't even read the bill.

The bill is simply protecting the Religious Rights of business owners. As seen in the case of the Oregon Bakery and how the gay mafia destroyed them, bills like this are completely necessary and should be made mandatory in every state. Religious Rights are protected the Constitution too.

Correct , thats why i was wondering how this was anti gay .

This bill is so that owners CAN NOT GET SUED because they dont want to serve someone. I think its a great bill since it seems like today everyone trys to sure for whatever reason they can.

I wonder where the outrage is for the " no shoes no shirt no service " ? Can liberals answer that.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:55 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post

Putting aside the ludicrousness of promoting the religious freedom of business to discriminate against a class of people, this will be bad for business in AZ. There will be organizations and groups who will choose to take their money elsewhere. Look at what happened when AZ said no to Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday - the NFL pulled Tempe's Superbowl hosting and put in in Pasadena.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:56 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,679 times
This bill just proves how extreme and out of touch the Republican Party is.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
This bill just proves how extreme and out of touch the Republican Party is.

Please explain and what the bill does exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies