Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:05 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
The Gov't is more Evil than Amazon and Walmart combined. They make about 45% of adults in America work on average of 2 - 3 months out of the year WITHOUT PAY!
That is incorrect. The aggregate tax load (local, state, and federal) comes to roughly 44% of the GDP.
That's over 5 months without pay.

http://www.census.gov/govs/statetax/05staxrank.html
US Per Capita Government Spending for 2014 - Charts
2012 GDP: $15.6 T, U.S. population : 314.1 M, Per Capita : $49665.71

★ Federal spending, per capita : $12,083.0 (percentage of GDP: 24%)
★ State spending, per capita : $ 4,454.10 (percentage of GDP: 9%)
★ Local spending, per capita : $ 5,308.4 (percentage of GDP: 11%)

Summed up, combined government spending takes (approx) 44% of the GDP.

If you’re one of the donors (tax payers), you’re working 44% (or more) of your life to support “their spending habit”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 02:37 AM

255 posts, read 402,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If that were the case you would not purchase any products anywhere because a lot of big business and probably most of them are in it for the money and could care less about morals.

Can you continue to give money to the gasoline station who gets their gasoline from the pipeline that is owned by the big companies that pay their workers a bit over minimum wage to work in hazardous conditions?
Can you continue to give money to car dealers who sell imported vehicles that are produced overseas and not in America?
Can you continue to give money to any shop that does not sell American made anything which means fewer jobs for Americans?
Can you continue to purchase those Bananas that are not grown in America?
How about the tomatos, onions, jalapenos, avacados and any other produce that originates in Honduras, Mexico, Guam, or any other place besides America?

I'm sure their working conditions are equal to or worse, the pay for those workers is probably much less and the companies morals are very close to non existant.
I get what you're saying. I think you could have used better examples. For instance, the problem with oil companies is not that they pay their workers peanuts (their workers are paid quite well). It's that they are subsidized by government and they pollute the environment.

Your car dealer point is pretty weak too. Foreign car companies have domestic plants.

Not buying American made is kind of different issue. The issue is treatment of workers.

Same goes with buying foreign produce. I have no problem buying french wine or British cheddar. Why should I eschew mexican avocados?

You would have been better off pointing to the fact that most of what we wear: our shoes, shirts, pants etc, are made in foreign sweat shops.

But we can't do a lot about what happens in other countries, can we? We can influence labor standards in this country, though. So, isn't that important? Conservatives tell us to vote with our dollars. If I know a company is mistreating their employees, why should I give them my money?

Old 02-25-2014, 03:55 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
BBC News - Amazon workers face 'increased risk of mental illness'

Old 02-25-2014, 04:11 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
#1 Amazon is hip.

#2 Amazon is owned by a liberal.

Therefore Amazon is to be ignored.

Sort of like Apple. We must ignore that most of Apple's employees are indirect employees that live in FoxCon barracks in China. We in fact can brag about how well Apple treats the few employees they do have in the US.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
But for me its a moral question. Can I continue to give my money to a company that treats workers this poorly? Some of the stuff I'm reading about Amazon is downright sinister.
Then vote with your wallet and shop elsewhere. When your lack of purchasing there affects Amazon's bottom line, I'm sure they will contact you directly and see what they can do to bring you back as a paying customer. If it makes you feel better...

Old 02-25-2014, 05:01 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Put the horrible wages aside, Walmart is a paradise compared to how Amazon treats its workers.

Inside Amazon's Warehouse - mcall.com

Allentown, Pennsylvania.
-employees forced to work in warehouses with 110 heat
- air conditioning is too expensive. It's cheaper to hire temp employees and just replace them when they pass out.
- Amazon parked ambulances outside the warehouse to treat employees who fainted. Many had to be taken to the emergency room.
- emergency room physician calls authorities to complain that Amazon is running an unsafe workplace.
-workers hauled off and fired in the middle of their shift if they aren't efficient enough
- workers intimidated to not report injuries

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-8495843.html- In Germany, Amazon hires immigrants, houses them in squalor, and hires guards dressed in Nazi-garb to watch over them.

Amazon Under Fire Over Alleged Worker Abuse in Germany - Businessweek

Question...Would this kind of abuse make you re-consider whether or not you would purchase something from Amazon?
Sounds more like union propaganda to me.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:13 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
That is incorrect. The aggregate tax load (local, state, and federal) comes to roughly 44% of the GDP.

If you’re one of the donors (tax payers), you’re working 44% (or more) of your life to support “their spending habit”.
We`re getting off easy.
Americans' tax burden is lightest in developed world - USATODAY.com

Old 02-25-2014, 06:15 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Question...Would this kind of abuse make you re-consider whether or not you would purchase something from Amazon?
No. It can't be that bad or people would not work there.

And oh by the way, lot's of jobs require people to work in harsh conditions. Have you ever had a roofing job in Texas?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

Correct. And that compares to 7% a century ago.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
If I know a company is mistreating their employees, why should I give them my money?
You certainly have that option. At least we have that much freedom (as of today) here in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies