Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 08:13 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,311,165 times

Advertisements

This thread really is the gift that keeps on giving. Happy birthday to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
You must not be *****HUNGRY OR THIRSTY OR IN A HURRY*** when you go out to eat apparently?
Leave the house 5 minutes earlier, and then maybe you won't be so famished. Is it really a matter of life or death by the time you plop your behind down in the restaurant booth?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:15 PM

393 posts, read 307,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Leave the house 5 minutes earlier, and then maybe you won't be so famished.

Won't work, because we usually go at 11a.m. when it opens at times. So that won't work.

Quote:
Is it really a matter of life or death by the time you plop your behind down in the restaurant booth?
You sound very uncaring and have no feelings, do you?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:19 PM

8,080 posts, read 4,757,124 times
"I wrestled in the mud with the pig, until I realized the pig was enjoying himself."

And to save some time, yes! I'm uncaring and mean, too! But servers don't run for the hills when I enter their workplace.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:27 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,199,453 times
Quote:
I would want a refill in a clean glass, not both, DUH! I shouldn't have to ask them
Quote:
Why not just asked for your glass to be "Topped off", huh since that is what *YOU* want?
So when I want something a certain way, I need to ask. When you want something a certain way you shouldn't have to ask, because it's common sense, at least according to you.
And you really don't see the double standard there?
Honey I wish you the best of luck in your life, you are gonna need it!

Old 03-04-2014, 08:31 PM

393 posts, read 307,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So when I want something a certain way, I need to ask. When you want something a certain way you shouldn't have to ask, because it's common sense, at least according to you.
And you really don't see the double standard there?
Honey I wish you the best of luck in your life, you are gonna need it!
How is it a double standard if a refill should be in a new glass to not give watered down drink, huh?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:37 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,199,453 times
Way to totally miss the point, whoosh!!!

Old 03-04-2014, 09:13 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,473,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
No, I have a husband and been married since 2002. I am very happy in my marriage. I am not a troll. I am a very sensitive person. I also grew up with a lot of family members that wanted control over things such as once I stayed over during a summer when I was 12yrs old(I am 36yrs old, going to be 37yrs old soon), where at that age, my grandparents told me what I could or could not wear, told me how to wear my hair, etc. My dad wouldn't allow me to do things because of being overprotective like at 16yrs old couldn't go to an Aerosmith concert because "I might get trampled on". Yes I wasn't 18yrs old yet, but still, the boyfriend I had at the time could go, I couldn't. We were a couple of months apart the same age even. So anyway, you can see how my life has been controlled. I have had many other situations with control So when control comes up, it's a huge thing like "I am old enough to be able to make my OWN decisions" so that's why I have this thing with control most likely. I want to be able to be myself, to make my own decisions. Sure now my dad can't tell me what to do or my grandma(My grandfather died), but anyway, that's probably where it stems from that control that "You can't do this, you can't do that" so I didn't do a lot of things that most people did like never been on an airplane, never went to disneyworld or disneyland, etc. I have been of course to fairs, but not to disney places. I spent a good chunk of my childhood not being able to do things that others could experience life. Sure maybe who knows I could have been protected like maybe I would be missing limbs if my dad would have let me go near fireworks for example, but at the same time, I didn't get a chance to experience life. Now that I am, I don't like control. That's probably where it stems from that not wanting people to control my tip money. Also, it is aggravating that if I wanted something else to drink and then they got me a refill of the same drink, it makes you feel obligated to take it or if you tell them no, it pisses them off which it shouldn't, because they should have asked and they wasted your time they could have been at your table getting what you did want instead of fixing an item for nothing. Even if I ended up wanting the refill, I get pisses that they took control. That they made a decision that wasn't theirs to make. That took away my decision that *I* am *PAYING* for without asking me if it was OK to do so.

Now you understand my stance more?
This explains a lot.

Context of my response first, I dined out frequently for half dozen years when I had a job that required much travel. The dining experience itself became one of the benefits to which I looked forward each trip. It was a game, in a way, to earn loyalty points and see and experience new things in different cities. I dined at every level of restaurant. Fast forward. I went back to school in my 30s as grad student and during that time I worked as a server (first time) for 18 months. I was proficient but not the best - I'd rather have fewer tables and be able to serve them in a responsive manner without being overworked and straining to meet demands.

OK, I get it. You had a self perceived controlling experience in formative years and you now can experience things for yourself, but, rather than first trying to understand the nature of the system you interact with (dining establishments) you 'tend' to do what your adult examples did to you - in your critique of the businesses you frequent - because, in your mind they have to serve you - the customer. Some of the list are viable complaints (not writing down your order, server substitution, etc much of it is overkill. The industry guy who gave you a breakdown response by point should have enlightened you somewhat, but I 'sense' you are one of those people where it is ALL about you.

With that in mind, here are suggestions for you, not sure exactly what your goals are in venting pet peeves on CD to commiserate -rather than being more tactfully direct and personable, with staff at places you frequent to give them helpful instructions about how you prefer to be served (within reason)

1) You may want to purposely go to places at slightly off peak times to get better service. I did this when I traveled knowing that a one top solo diner at peak times will likely not get priority service.

2) Examine the establishments menus (if they have them on line) before you go to enable you to make quick decisions or place special orders on what you want and ask questions. I usually went to places with what I wanted in mind so I could proactively speed up the wasted dead time from being sat to ordering main meal.

3) Perhaps the white table affairs an high brow (serve form the left and remove from the right) would better meet your demands for the 'experience' you seek to enjoy?

4) No one controls your tip money but you - unless you are dining with large groups and the restaurant imposes an automatic gratuity for parties of greater than certain sizes. By your comments in this thread, I can't imagine anyone wanting to dine with you more than once

5) If you want to enjoy the 'power trip' of dining and having slavish service (and live in a large metro area) why not sign up to be a mystery shopper for dining establishments? You can get your fill of critiquing the experience and the guidelines you will be asked to follow as part of the regular process may give you insight into what is most important from the business and customer's perspective. Not just your narrow hyper sensitive view.

You have made me recall a frequent customer at the place I worked. The single older man would come in late Saturday mornings and had one same server wait on him. Everyone else wanted nothing to do with him. I'm sensing you may give off the same 'vibe' within a short time or repeat visit.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 PM

311 posts, read 451,375 times
Wow, I think the OP has other issues to deal with than "restaurant pet peeves"... Most of that list isn't really worthy of being a pet peeve, just being nitpicky.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:57 PM

692 posts, read 1,005,967 times
Sounds like a serious case of champagne taste on a beer budget.
Michelin star restaurants don't have the kind of service that causes such dining ire. Standard issue mid range sit down local or national chains with pictures on the menu do.
Courses are timed and controlled.
Plates and utensils are automatically refreshed.
The bar is completely separate from the dining room or many times on a separate floor.
Refills aren't be free.
Ketchup and other condiments must be requested and will be brought to you in a ramekin not a plastic cup.
Cheddar isn't even on the menu not even in the cheese course.
Check is presented to you on a silver charger.

Up the eating budget and all those pet peeves will disappear, guaranteed.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
Boy; some get really worked up about much of nothing. Do not go back then to those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.