Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 05:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I do (not) despise people with a lot of money.

I have a family member who has made over $1 million dollars a year for the last 15 years. He did it by studying and hard work. And today him and his brother by investments, now own a boat related business worth $20 million dollars. I love them both, and they love me. I also love their children as if they were my own.

I also have a family friend who is (filthy) rich, he owns his own drug manufacturing company. He has many mansions, boats, and a private airplane. His hospitality towards my family and I is beyond words. He is one of the coolest people I have ever met.

And Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are two of my favorite Americans. I deeply respect Mr. Buffet for taking a stand to change the fact that his tax rate is 1/2 that of his workers. And I admire Bill Gates for his charity work that has improved Americas public schools and saved millions of people from dying.

I do not judge people by how much money they have. I judge people by their character, morals, manners, respect, toughness, kindness, and desires.
Gates couldnt be conducting that charity work if he was giving his money to the government, and your family members couldnt own what they own, once again, if they were giving it to the government.

I agree, its not fair that people pay different tax rates, when will you get upset that 51% of the nation pays ZERO federal income taxes?

Old 03-07-2014, 05:20 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times
The trouble with the trickle down effect in the UK under Thatcherism in the 1980's was that most of the new wealth was centered around London and tax breaks to the wealthy and big business simply spurred economic growth in London and benefited those further down the ladder in London. The industrial workers in other parts of the UK who were losing their jobs at the same time did not have wealthy people in their areas or much investment, therefore the trickle down effect was mainly a London phenomenon and merely increased the gulf between the economy of London and the South East and the rest of the country.

The same was possible true in the US with tax breaks helping certain Cities and regions far more than others.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
The trouble with the trickle down effect in the UK under Thatcherism in the 1980's was that most of the new wealth was centered around London and tax breaks to the wealthy and big business simply spurred economic growth in London and benefited those further down the ladder in London. The industrial workers in other parts of the UK who were losing their jobs at the same time did not have wealthy people in their areas or much investment, therefore the trickle down effect was mainly a London phenomenon and merely increased the gulf between the economy of London and the South East and the rest of the country.

The same was possible true in the US with tax breaks helping certain Cities and regions far more than others.
How does allowing people to keep their money create economic growth in one area, while punishing those in another?

Old 03-07-2014, 06:11 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
7 of the richest 10 reps in DC are DEMOCRATS!
I will mention again- Blue Cities Blue States- the greatest income inequality.

All the 'Cool' Cities Have the Worst Income Inequality

Old 03-07-2014, 06:13 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
I still want someone to tell me who works for a poor man, and who makes a living wage by working for a poor man?

Ready...set....GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..................

Old 03-07-2014, 06:27 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How does allowing people to keep their money create economic growth in one area, while punishing those in another?
London was booming after deregulation of the financial service industries in the 1980's whilst the traditional industries in the North suffered heavily. As a result most of the money being made was in London and the South, and those that served this newly emerging wealth were in the South and not the declining mining towns, ship yards or industrial cities in the North. What occurred as a result was a depressed Northern Economy and a booming London and South East Economy. Thatcher as a result was hated in the North of England and relied on the prosperity she bought to the South, in what increasingly became a very divided nation.

The politics of north and south: Britain

Margaret Thatcher was loved and hated

Old 03-07-2014, 06:28 AM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
So why isn't trickle down working now, those at the top end are making record profits, companies executives, stock market up.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:30 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:

agreed to some extent, as the NYC area saw the same phenomenon

but the united states has pretty diverse ownership .. shareholders and landowners all over the country got rich from our deregulation.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
London was booming after deregulation of the financial service industries in the 1980's whilst the traditional industries in the North suffered heavily. As a result most of the money being made was in London and the South, and those that served this newly emerging wealth were in the South and not the declining mining towns, ship yards or industrial cities in the North. What occurred as a result was a depressed Northern Economy and a booming London and South East Economy. Thatcher as a result was hated in the North of England and relied on the prosperity she bought to the South, in what increasingly became a very divided nation.

The politics of north and south: Britain

Margaret Thatcher was loved and hated
But deregulations, isnt trickle down politicies..

Trickle down policies is simply allowing people to keep more of their money with the idea that they will spend it on things like boats, cars, etc, which generate other jobs..

Old 03-07-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So why isn't trickle down working now, those at the top end are making record profits, companies executives, stock market up.
They are making what they make because we once again, are not practicing trickle down, we are practicing policies which push people down, and then act shocked that those on the top benefit by less competition and other economic results of the government propping up poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies