Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 10:28 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Those are recent. Not ancient societies, and not everyone in those countries support it.
If you want a list of ancient societies, there's one on Wikipedia
Quote:
Although state-recognized same-sex unions are becoming more accepted, there is a long history of same-sex unions around the world. Various types of same-sex unions have existed, ranging from informal, unsanctioned, and temporary relationships to highly ritualized unions that have included marriage
There's no use trying to assert that only in the modern U.S. is same sex marriage legal. You'll lose that argument all day long.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:31 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
It's not a slippery slope fallacy. It's an argument that just because something doesn't affect you personally doesn't mean it's not alright. If my neighbors house is getting robbed it doesn't affect me personally, but it's still wrong.

And being an internet grammar Nazi doesn't improve your arguments.
Using the wrong word isn't being a grammar Nazi. There's a lot of difference between effect and affect. Learn the difference.

Last edited by banjomike; 03-07-2014 at 11:04 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,879 times
Quote:
The will of the people IS being violated by activist judges. If the people wanted gay marriage then they would vote for it, but most don't. If most people did then there would be no need for the activist judges.
Wrong. The constitution is being violated. The people are not allowed to make laws that violate the constitution.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:52 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Many people see it as an equality issue, though that's not really the goal of Gay Activists. For them gay marriage is pretty much just a way for them to push their lifestyle onto others and try to '' normalize '' it.

Now that's an interesting reason for getting married - to show you're "normal". Is that why you got married?

The Government cares about it because it's a power grab. They can get away with using Federal Activist judges to overturn the will of the people, because they know that there are enough people out there who support it. They are using the gay marriage issue as a weapon to overthrow States Rights and grow their power. The media is also in bed with them.

Odd as it may seem to you, there really are people working for the government who take seriously the idea that all citizens should be treated equally under the law. In my lifetime, women and people of color have, more or less successfully, pointed out that the word "citizens" includes them as well. Your state's right arguments regarding SSM is stale and fully legally discredited. You don't have to like the result, but when you spout this lame stuff, you make yourself irrelevant.

If this was any other issue (such as gun rights) I can guarantee you that people wouldn't allow it. Imagine if Federal Activist Judges ruled that guns are Unconstitutional over a state? People would be up in arms. And with gay marriage the Government hopes to do just that later, maybe not with guns but something else.

Actually, people are constantly up in arms over gun rights, and state and US Supreme Courts are constantly ruling on various regulatory schemes. So far, individuals are still legally purchasing guns. While I don't agree with every decision I see, in the aggregate, I think the status quo is about where it should be.

I wish we would get Government out of Marriage and vice versa. Then this issue wouldn't exist. Secular Civil Contracts for everyone, Marriage is for Churches, Synagogues, families etc...
Maybe. But we'd have to hire lots more judges. Legal marriage is more efficient, that's why we invented it.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Let me get this straight, you think the majority should vote for the minority rights in this country, but you think the majority of people supporting same sex marriage should be ignored because of the minority of people like you who are against it?
Yup, that's what is repeated over and over. Amazing.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:13 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Let me get this straight. A piece of paper creates happiness.

I have no problem living together under contract, but that is not called marriage.
A piece of paper creates security that heterosexuals get with their civil marriage license. So to your original first post for this thread, all of the above that you mentioned. Without the security of a marriage license, our property together can be taxed upon either of our deaths, yet for a heterosexual couple with a civil marriage license, they do not get taxed. Those 1049 rights, protections and benefits are only granted with that civil marriage license, they do not come with holy matrimony from a church, or domestic partnerships or civil unions, just a federal civil marriage license.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It's really about forcing our society to accept homosexuality as completely natural and normal. Legalization of SSM is a big step towards that goal, but it won't stop there.
It is already normal and natural, it is about the equalization of the rights. Why should straights get more rights when it comes to marriage and less for gays, if any mariage rights at all?

Old 03-07-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
One of those reasons....is to have Children. Something people of the same sex cannot do....
You do not need a civil marriage license to get pregnant or have children and there is not one of those 1049 federal rights, protections and benefits that have anything to do with children, nor are children required of marriage. Silly, lame, stupid and tired argument.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:23 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You should Google that if you are interested in the history of marriage in this country.

I'm sure you still have not googled it, or you would know it was after the IRS came to life and the taxing of the people. They knew right away they could gain vote by the power of the tax, or not to tax.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm sure you still have not googled it, or you would know it was after the IRS came to life and the taxing of the people. They knew right away they could gain vote by the power of the tax, or not to tax.
I never said I was going to google it because I don't care what the history of marriage is in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies