Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:17 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The dominoes are falling.....
No they aren't.

All that is happening is that unelected men in black robes are imposing their own personal opinions in some states and overruling the clear will of the people in those states.

When you find that more states allow gay marriage due to judicial tyranny rather than legislative action, then there is a problem.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:19 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Yeah, this prediction appears to be spot on.

As a side note, I find it interesting (and very pleasant from the perspective of morality) that gay sex/sodomy was illegal in some U.S. states all of the way up to 2003, whereas just a little more than a decade later, we might literally be on the verge of seeing gay marriage be legalized throughout the entire U.S.
It is indeed interesting, the speed with which this has occurred, not just in issues of legality but in terms of a cultural paradigm shift.

My guess is that it is simply a result of gays coming out in ever-greater numbers. Much of the irrational fear and loathing of gays is based on repulsive caricatures that have little semblance to reality. Once gays started coming out, really in the 1950s with the Beat Generation, then a little more in the upheavals of the 1960s, and then Stonewall - the demystification began. People began to realize that gays were just their uncles and aunts, the men and women next door or in the next cubicle over at work, their children and their friends and people that were just like themselves, except for their sexual attraction. This increasingly encouraged more gays to come out, which changed more people's minds - a classic case of positive feedback, in which the pace of change accelerates continually.

Once the Loving decision was issued in 1967, the precedent was there for these decisions being issued now. But the courts, being loathe to move so dramatically against public opinion, have waited for almost half a century to really begin to apply the legal precedence set in Loving. If there's any such things as judicial activism, that is it. This irony is, of course, lost on those who go on and on about 'judicial activism' - which they almost always merely define as 'decisions I don't like!'.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:24 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Judge Friedman was appointed in 1988 by President Ronald Reagan.

Judge rules Michigan same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional | MSNBC

The decision:
It was interesting reading the decision, thanks. There really wasn't any way the Judge could have upheld the ban.

Congratulations Michigan!

Old 03-21-2014, 05:26 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,797,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It is indeed interesting, the speed with which this has occurred, not just in issues of legality but in terms of a cultural paradigm shift.

My guess is that it is simply a result of gays coming out in ever-greater numbers. Much of the irrational fear and loathing of gays is based on repulsive caricatures that have little semblance to reality. Once gays started coming out, really in the 1950s with the Beat Generation, then a little more in the upheavals of the 1960s, and then Stonewall - the demystification began. People began to realize that gays were just their uncles and aunts, the men and women next door or in the next cubicle over at work, their children and their friends and people that were just like themselves, except for their sexual attraction. This increasingly encouraged more gays to come out, which changed more people's minds - a classic case of positive feedback, in which the pace of change accelerates continually.

Once the Loving decision was issued in 1967, the precedent was there for these decisions being issued now. But the courts, being loathe to move so dramatically against public opinion, have waited for almost half a century to really begin to apply the legal precedence set in Loving. If there's any such things as judicial activism, that is it. This irony is, of course, lost on those who go on and on about 'judicial activism' - which they almost always merely define as 'decisions I don't like!'.
Yes, I agree that gays coming out in ever-greater numbers might certainly be a large reason for why this shift is occurring over time. That said, the Internet might also help in regards to this, since individuals are now much more likely to interact with openly gay people than they were before. In addition, I would not be surprised if the very gradual decline in religion might also be a reason for this shift. After all, once people lose their faith or even simply stop taking their religious books so seriously and literally, then some of these people might become much more open to listening to pro-gay marriage arguments and to accepting these arguments and thus becoming pro-gay marriage.

Also, in regards to judicial activism, I find it interesting that AFAIK, all of the way until the early 20th century, the conservative/right-wing U.S. Supreme Court Justices were being the "activist" ones. For instance, a right-wing U.S. SC struck down Woodrow Wilson's ban on child labor in the United States. To my knowledge, it was only in the last several decades that liberal/left-wing U.S. Supreme Court Justices became the "activist" ones.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:37 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Yes, I agree that gays coming out in ever-greater numbers might certainly be a large reason for why this shift is occurring over time. That said, the Internet might also help in regards to this, since individuals are now much more likely to interact with openly gay people than they were before. In addition, I would not be surprised if the very gradual decline in religion might also be a reason for this shift. After all, once people lose their faith or even simply stop taking their religious books so seriously and literally, then some of these people might become much more open to listening to pro-gay marriage arguments and to accepting these arguments and thus becoming pro-gay marriage.
Ironically, I think the extremist behaviour and clear ignorance and vicious animus towards gay and lesbian people demonstrated by religiously conservative anti-gay 'crusaders', has also helped speed up social acceptance of gay and lesbian people by more moderate rational people who would otherwise not particularly care.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Ironically, I think the extremist behaviour and clear ignorance and vicious animus towards gay and lesbian people demonstrated by religiously conservative anti-gay 'crusaders', has also helped speed up social acceptance of gay and lesbian people by more moderate rational people who would otherwise not particularly care.
You could be right in regards to this.

Of course, I think that the reasons listed above might have been greater factors than this in leading for greater public support for legalizing gay sex/"sodomy" and gay marriage.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:43 PM

256 posts, read 207,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No they aren't.

All that is happening is that unelected men in black robes are imposing their own personal opinions in some states and overruling the clear will of the people in those states.

When you find that more states allow gay marriage due to judicial tyranny rather than legislative action, then there is a problem.
So when judges overturned laws on segregation passed by the duly elected representatives of numerous southern states that was judicial tyranny? The fact is the people can not pass unconstitutional laws.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
So when judges overturned laws on segregation passed by the duly elected representatives of numerous southern states that was judicial tyranny? The fact is the people can not pass unconstitutional laws.
I am predicting that Harrier will argue that these laws passed in the South were invalid because most Blacks back then couldn't vote in the South.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:01 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,965 times
Good deal from Michigan. Marriage Equality is on the way.

Funny how this is "unconstitutional legislating" in the minds of those who don't agree with his statement. Sorry, Harrier, you don't speak for the people.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:13 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Good deal from Michigan. Marriage Equality is on the way.

Funny how this is "unconstitutional legislating" in the minds of those who don't agree with his statement. Sorry, Harrier, you don't speak for the people.
I don't know who Harrier is, but the judge in this case didn't speak for the people of Michigan, nor have other judges spoken for the people in states that banned ssm. The judges over the years set up a convoluted judicial framework to overrule elected officials, and substitute their personal opinions disguised as legal decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies