Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 05:06 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
. The War on Poverty has done disservice to the poor.
50 years and $20 trillion later what does America have to show for its investment? Generations of poor ungrateful Americans who are addicted to government programs and lack the skills to meaningfully contribute to our economy. Several generations of blacks born into broken homes and broken communities experiencing social, moral and economic chaos.

Roughly 75% of black children were born to a married two-parent family when the 'war' began in 1964. By 2008, the percentage of black babies born out of wedlock numbered over 72%.

All of this spending and 48 million Americans on food stamps, an increase of 50 percent since Obama became President. Overall, approximately 50 million Americans are still considered poor today.

The “war on poverty” programs have been unsuccessful in reducing the number of poor Americans, they have been successful in decimating the black family structure.

The poor paid a different kind of price for the free ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn350 View Post
With conservatives, it's about others. With liberals, I see a lot more self. That's why the latter wants to mess with the riches of others.
Obama supporters accept Obama as a liars because they themselves are liars. They say they are so concerned about the poor but they are lying, what they really mean is give them more money but they don't want to do anything to earn it.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:50 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama supporters accept Obama as a liars because they themselves are liars. They say they are so concerned about the poor but they are lying, what they really mean is give them more money but they don't want to do anything to earn it.
Just a heads up - your baseless assumptions about "liberals" and "Obama supporters" are both completely false and pretty offensive. They don't help your credibility at all.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:52 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

All of this spending and 48 million Americans on food stamps, an increase of 50 percent since Obama became President. Overall, approximately 50 million Americans are still considered poor today.
It is cute that you blame food stamps on Obama, but they have nothing to do with Obama. Food stamps have a direct correlation with unemployment numbers albeit with a slight lag (unemployment falls, food stamp usage falls). Obama inherited a terrible economy, and total government welfare spending is on the decline since 2010.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:19 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Is your name on this list?
There is no way I will EVER have a large enough estate to put my name on that list! In fact, my estate will be lucky to have enough in it to bury me!

Old 03-22-2014, 08:24 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
\
Pull your head out

We gotta install microwave ovens
Custom kitchen deliveries
We gotta move these refrigerators
We gotta move these colour TV's

I shoulda learned to play that guitar,
I should have learned to play dem drums ....

Money for nothing and your checks for free!!!

Old 03-22-2014, 08:28 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Why don't wealthy conservatives create enough jobs to end unemployment?

Old 03-22-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Why don't wealthy conservatives create enough jobs to end unemployment?
Obama took the money we could have used to hire. hows those higher taxes workin out for you now?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:17 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Social conscience isn't a solo sport. It's a group venture.

Beyond that: The Giving Pledge :: Pledger Profiles

Selected highlights:

Such gestures are wonderful. However, reversing the corruption done to society from the right-wing's egoistic avarice that has affected our nation for the last generation will take more than such gestures.
right wing, lol
Republicans donate more to charity than democrats even though republicans earn less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It will take efforts by society to direct how resources are spent. I can invite one person to my table for dinner. Or together with the members of my church we can invite three times as many of us to share a meal together. Or together with everyone in our state we can ensure ten times as many of us won't go hungry. And so on.

The petulant implicit demand not to be part of society and contribute to its efforts to protect its most vulnerable members is a child's attitude, worthy only of lessons not regard.
Charity is wonderful but it should always be voluntary. Society doesn't progress through theft and coercion. The mafia does.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:22 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabkahalla View Post
Says who? I don't recall signing a contractual agreement when I was born, outlining what my life has to be about.
Agreed. You have to help yourself first. If not how can one be expected to help others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies