Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 11:43 AM

13,967 posts, read 5,630,295 times

Advertisements

Awesome! Connecticut has cured poverty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 11:44 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am not sure what your Netflix account has to do with my question.
Dear God...what that poster is telling you is that you won't see an immediate surge of unemployed, it's not a streaming video or a text message that you get instantly. It happens over time, little by little. You continue to pretend it doesn't happen.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:45 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
I manage a trust for my family, and I can only put money into nearly risk-free investments like insurance annuities. WE are getting a whopping 1.25% after the initial 1st year teaser of 2.75%. On top of that, the cash is locked up for 3-7 years. And this is considered a pretty good deal compared to CDs and savings accounts.

You are the exception to the norm. Why would you think the typical person would have that kind of free cash? Not even close there sparky.
First whoever wrote your trust did an a horrible job. IDK if that is after management fees, and distributions to beneficiaries or if you even take management fees but that isn't pretty. You should consider potentially trying to rectify that if possible with an attorney and your beneficiaries.

As to us being the exception no ****. Having cash during a liquidity crisis is the exception, with that said I was remarking on HappyTexan's point that of deflation being good for people with cash, which 2009 was, at least for the folks I knew.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
3.3% at $9 an hour is a whole additional shiny nickel per hour ($ .30 raise vs .25, woo hoo) , .04 per hour more net tax. $1.60 per 40 hour week. Much better.
$9 is better than $7.25.

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
First whoever wrote your trust did an a horrible job. IDK if that is after management fees, and distributions to beneficiaries or if you even take management fees but that isn't pretty. You should consider potentially trying to rectify that if possible with an attorney and your beneficiaries.

As to us being the exception no ****. Having cash during a liquidity crisis is the exception, with that said I was remarking on HappyTexan's point that of deflation being good for people with cash, which 2009 was, at least for the folks I knew.
I would agree that 2009 was a very good year for people with cash.
Both RE and the stock market had some very nice pickings.

But since then not so much.

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Awesome! Connecticut has cured poverty!
ugh...

Old 03-28-2014, 11:48 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,350 times
Originally Posted by surfman
So you reason that a person should move to another state for a higher minimum wage job?

Maybe you should start reading the entire posts so you don't look any more foolish than you do now.
Quote:
No, people should look to moving to other places if it is for higher paying jobs. Why anyone would be willing to work for federal minimum wage when there are states with a higher minimum wage is beyond me.
I'm fairly certain it's called family and friends. This has been a thread about minimum wage jobs, and you just deflected it to "higher paying jobs". You said that people should be able to move to another state for a better paying job, and it implied for a minimum wage job.

You'd do well to listen to what some of these people are saying. They make good points, yet you seem intent on not having any of it.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:49 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would agree that 2009 was a very good year for people with cash.
Both RE and the stock market had some very nice pickings.

But since then not so much.
That is because there has been moderate inflation from 2010 to present. Not high inflation but the usually healthy kind that you want that is generally the goal.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:49 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
$9 is better than $7.25.
In many regions, they are virtually the same when considering COL gaps.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wait..you just said that this was "normal fluctuations" and now say it's due to improved technology ?

Are you making stuff up as you go ?

What "technology" replaced 4 retail store clerks per store ?
What "technology" replaced 50 workers per Walmart store ?

Try dealing with data and facts.

I read about the reduction in the Walmart employees and why and how that happened.
It was NOT due to "improved technology".
Sorry, you seem to think only minimum wage increases have an effect on employment.

I am sure the technology used today in retail is the exact same technology used in the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies