Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 11:51 AM

13,945 posts, read 5,618,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
ugh...
Not really a straw man. From the article...
Quote:
Obama said. "I hope members of Congress, governors, state legislators and business leaders across our country will follow Connecticut’s lead to help ensure that no American who works full time has to raise a family in poverty, and that every American who works hard has the chance to get ahead."
According to the President, a minimum wage of $10.10 is indeed a cure for poverty. Who knew it was so simple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 11:52 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Dear God...what that poster is telling you is that you won't see an immediate surge of unemployed, it's not a streaming video or a text message that you get instantly. It happens over time, little by little. You continue to pretend it doesn't happen.
So if it happens little by little and we have raised minimum wage, we should be up to 75% unemployed these days.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:53 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
In many regions, they are virtually the same when considering COL gaps.
COL doesn't care what the minimum wage is.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:54 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
First whoever wrote your trust did an a horrible job. IDK if that is after management fees, and distributions to beneficiaries or if you even take management fees but that isn't pretty. You should consider potentially trying to rectify that if possible with an attorney and your beneficiaries.

As to us being the exception no ****. Having cash during a liquidity crisis is the exception, with that said I was remarking on HappyTexan's point that of deflation being good for people with cash, which 2009 was, at least for the folks I knew.
There are no fees for this particular annuity. The way a trust is written has nothing to do with anything. I could put the money on red if I chose to, but I have a conscience.

Actually the annuity was written more than 2 years ago, so at that time it was considered a Cadillac in a Kia market. It matures in another year and then I'll reposition. Hopefully I can get 2-3% next year.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

Quote:
Obama said. "I hope members of Congress, governors, state legislators and business leaders across our country will follow Connecticut’s lead to help ensure that no American who works full time has to raise a family in poverty, and that every American who works hard has the chance to get ahead."
According to the President, a minimum wage of $10.10 is indeed a cure for poverty. Who knew it was so simple?
The keyword phrase being "works full time", yet his baby (ACA) has been and will be the biggest enemy of the full time employee. Ironic!

This president is loaded with carrots to wave in front of all us horses.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:57 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
There are no fees for this particular annuity. The way a trust is written has nothing to do with anything. I could put the money on red if I chose to, but I have a conscience.

Actually the annuity was written more than 2 years ago, so at that time it was considered a Cadillac in a Kia market. It matures in another year and then I'll reposition. Hopefully I can get 2-3% next year.
Well you are the trustee so you have to make those decisions. Imho getting killed by inflation, CoL and distributions is no better then getting killed by a fluke of the market especially when its reasonably easy to diversify.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:58 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,402,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

Reread the statement again. It does not say "minimum wage is a cure for poverty." It specifically tackles the issue that families working full time for minimum wage are still in poverty. Minimum wage never was a plan to cure American poverty. The American "Dream" was that anyone who goes to work every day full time should not be living in poverty.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Well you are the trustee so you have to make those decisions. Imho getting killed by inflation, CoL and distributions is no better then getting killed by a fluke of the market.
And now we've come full circle; see post 120

I agree completely that savers are being killed. The only thing I could do was stop all distributions in order to compound the tiny interest. Sad but true.

On the RE front, I have been looking at some rental property in AZ which might be a more viable solution. RE will never go to zero, just like gold. I do agree with you on that point. RE was a boon after the 2007-8 bust. It may be setting itself up for another fall though. The values have come up, but the velocity is slow and inventories are climbing again.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
COL doesn't care what the minimum wage is.
No but that min wage worker will care what the COL of an area is.
A $600/month apt or a $1200/month apt on min wage ? $2/hour more won't cut it in that high COL area.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:12 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
How is a person supposed to raise a family on $10 an hour?
You should not be having children if you make 10 bucks an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies