Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:22 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,798,952 times

Advertisements

Good news, but isn't Connecticut pretty expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 11:24 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Remember Leftist don't care about facts or results, just emotions.

Last edited by gunlover; 03-28-2014 at 11:36 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
How is a person supposed to raise a family on $10 an hour?
Who would even think about a family at that wage?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
VERY expensive. I am from Ct. Try ordinary homes often well over 500k, hotel rates about 150% the average for all US per Smith Travel Research (most quoted media source), restaurants up there run me 150-200% comparable quality restaurants in Nashville metro.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:36 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Remember Leftist don't care about fact, just emotions.
I am pretty sure most liberals are aware that Connecticut is an expensive state, not sure what that has to do with emotions. Could you explain this post in better detail because I am not following your claim.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:39 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am pretty sure most liberals are aware that Connecticut is an expensive state, not sure what that has to do with emotions. Could you explain this post in better detail because I am not following your claim.
They think the raise the wage will make things better, that is never the case, your are going to mechanization of labor at a faster rate..

Old 03-28-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
They think the raise the wage will make things better, that is never the case, your are going to mechanization of labor at a faster rate..
So giving raises is a bad thing? Do you turn down a raise when your boss gives you one because you don't want a machine to do your job? Technology is going to increase at the rate it has always increased at, minimum wage increases aren't going to have any effect on that.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
So giving raises is a bad thing? Do you turn down a raise when your boss gives you one because you don't want a machine to do your job? Technology is going to increase at the rate it has always increased at, minimum wage increases aren't going to have any effect on that.
Raises speed up the process, as corps invest based on ROI , measured in payback years. It comes down to amount invested/labor savings = ROI years. When a denominator is raised w/o the numerator raised, the answer is reduced. A lower amount of payback years increases the chance something gets automated.

Our 120k packout robots replaced a like amount of labor annually.1 year payback. If we could only cut 50k, the payback being > 2 years, would have meant the capital request would be denied.

Now, eventually the robots we pay 120k for now will cost 50k, so in the latter equation, we'd do it at that time anyway. But raising the cost of the human makes the alternative a more attractive option than before. Self-serve checkouts, kiosks, Applebee's 100,000 tablets, robots will keep getting CHEAPER, as humans cost more. A self-created train wreck.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Raises speed up the process, as corps invest based on ROI , measured in payback years. It comes down to amount invested/labor savings = ROI years. When a denominator is raised w/o the numerator raised, the answer is reduced. A lower amount of payback years increases the chance something gets automated.

Our 120k packout robots replaced a like amount of labor annually.1 year payback. If we could only cut 50k, the payback being > 2 years, would have meant the capital request would be denied.

Now, eventually the robots we pay 120k for now will cost 50k, so in the latter equation, we'd do it at that time anyway. But raising the cost of the human makes the alternative a more attractive option than before. Self-serve checkouts, kiosks, Applebee's 100,000 tablets, robots will keep getting CHEAPER, as humans cost more. A self-created train wreck.
No it doesn't technology advances speed up the process. A computer is no longer $100K and the size of a room, it is now a few hundred dollars and the size of a smart phone. Applebee's doesn't pay servers that much to begin with and in many states they pay them below minimum wage, but even with the tablets, there are still servers to bring people their food and drinks....though I have seen tablet service before at airports and it makes a restaurant feel cheap and lazy. When I go out to eat, I prefer a well trained server over a tablet.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
No it doesn't technology advances speed up the process. A computer is no longer $100K and the size of a room, it is now a few hundred dollars and the size of a smart phone. Applebee's doesn't pay servers that much to begin with and in many states they pay them below minimum wage, but even with the tablets, there are still servers to bring people their food and drinks....though I have seen tablet service before at airports and it makes a restaurant feel cheap and lazy. When I go out to eat, I prefer a well trained server over a tablet.
Applebees will no doubt cut heads, and while the jobs do not pay much, anything is more than nothing.
The other chains will also install tablets. At the end of the day, this will cut the quantity employed in restaurants by at least one third.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies