Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 06:03 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Learning a trade (not that grade school kids are learning trades, anyway) does not enrich the brain in the same way that language learning does. Learning a foreign language also really enhances one's understanding of the operation of the English language, as well. Finally, markets are global today--being able to operate in other environments will open doors for Americans. The risk that a student will not wind up using a language is no different than the risk that a student will not use trigonometry, physics, American History, or literature--except that it has a distinct impact on mental development: http://www.ncssfl.org/papers/Benefit...geStudyNEA.pdf
Kids could be learning the basics of a trade rather than our educational system pushing foreign languages. Which one would they choose to learn anyway and when would they use it? I took algebra in school but never came upon an opportunity to use it. Today I wouldn't know the last thing about algebra. I think it is a ridiculous claim that in order to become proficient in English one would have to learn another language. That makes no sense at all. What's with this global market thing? Most Americans don't deal in them and even at that English is the global language of commerce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:16 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Kids could be learning the basics of a trade rather than our educational system pushing foreign languages. Which one would they choose to learn anyway and when would they use it? I took algebra in school but never came upon an opportunity to use it. Today I wouldn't know the last thing about algebra. I think it is a ridiculous claim that in order to become proficient in English one would have to learn another language. That makes no sense at all. What's with this global market thing? Most Americans don't deal in them and even at that English is the global language of commerce.
Elementary school students do not learn the basics of trades. They learn the basics of fundamental areas of academic study. Some high school students take some "trade" type classes, but most high school classes, too, are on the basics of fundamental areas of academic study.

I clearly did not state that one must learn another language to become proficient in English. Read carefully, I said that learning a foreign language enhances the understanding of English's operations.

If you think that foreign language skills are not valuable in global commerce, then you are mistaken. Americans who do business overseas (or live overseas) can be well-served by knowing the local language and using it to build relationships with foreign partners.

Our educational system should absolutely include the study of foreign languages. They enhance learning, promote the acquisition of a valuable skill, and encourage learning about foreign cultures.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Elementary school students do not learn the basics of trades. They learn the basics of fundamental areas of academic study. Some high school students take some "trade" type classes, but most high school classes, too, are on the basics of fundamental areas of academic study.

I clearly did not state that one must learn another language to become proficient in English. Read carefully, I said that learning a foreign language enhances the understanding of English's operations.

If you think that foreign language skills are not valuable in global commerce, then you are mistaken. Americans who do business overseas (or live overseas) can be well-served by knowing the local language and using it to build relationships with foreign partners.

Our educational system should absolutely include the study of foreign languages. They enhance learning, promote the acquisition of a valuable skill, and encourage learning about foreign cultures.
And what percent of the population is going to do business overseas?

Less than 1% I would guess. That's like saying everyone must learn how to be a nurse and everyone must learn how to be an electrician because some people will eventually do those for a living.

The test score of bilingual students here are dismal -- and they are way behind in math and science.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:48 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,147 times
Plus, basing on "which percentage/when will they use/why should they"etc then most of things are pointless: what's the sense of learning history? literature?most of math? trigonometry?
To be cultured, to learn to think with your own head and not to be a puppet in others' hands.
We are not talking about abstract things: learning and knowing foreign languages is always a valuable skills, a very appreciated one moreover.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:52 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
should kids start learning a foreign language in grade school instead of HS? Language is absorbed the most rapidly in the formative years (1-5), but post-formative children are still able to learn a second language at a much faster rate than teenagers. Should it be required for children to spend say 20 minutes a day starting in 1st grade until middle school? It makes since when you think that in that amount of time most kids would be more proficient in a second language, than they would after the 1-2 years of foreign language that is required for most college degrees.

opinions?
YES! Being bilingual is such an asset in a global economy. Starting younger not only means learning faster but it means having more years to practice the second language. I think children should be required to take one extra language up through 8th grade and then a another in high school so they have two languages they are fluent at and one they know some of.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:22 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
YES! Being bilingual is such an asset in a global economy. Starting younger not only means learning faster but it means having more years to practice the second language. I think children should be required to take one extra language up through 8th grade and then a another in high school so they have two languages they are fluent at and one they know some of.
One obvious advantage is the ability to leave the U.S. and pursue a career in other parts of the world, whether for a U.S. company or working for a foreign company in a foreign country.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:40 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Most people don't deal in foreign markets so I stand by what I said in my prior post. Learning a foreign language doesn't do anything more for the brain than learning anything else. I'd rather our kids learn something that they know they will use when they are adults out in the job market.
Sounds like they should have a two-week course in burger-flipping and maid and janitorial work for Asian tourists then.

Automation is permanently killing low-skill work, and it doesn't require an equal horde of educated techies to keep automation moving. The golden era, the illusory paradise of American small business is not and cannot survive the onslaught of chains, big box stores, etc. etc. That world is DEAD.

Some aspects of this thread show the same mentality as the "Fortress America" ostrich world of the 1920's and 30's.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
One obvious advantage is the ability to leave the U.S. and pursue a career in other parts of the world, whether for a U.S. company or working for a foreign company in a foreign country.
Most Americans don't want to leave this country nor their families behind. It is mostly foreigners that want to move here.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What global economy? Most Americans remain here as adults and don't deal with foreign companies in their careers. Besides, as I pointed out English is the language of commerce throughout the world. Let's say an 8 year old learns French. How would they know that that particular language is one they would need to know as adults in their working careers? Whom would they communicate with on a regular basis to keep their French skills alive? IMO, those pushing for Americans to learn foreign languages have an agenda of balkanizing our country.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:

I've pretty much refuted most of your above remarks but as for having to learn a foreign language to learn about a foreign culture it makes no sense at all. There are books written in English to do so and those of foreign cultures who live here can usually speak English so they could teach Americans about their culture in that common language if an American wants to learn about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies