Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should all Americans have healthcare?
Yes 104 80.00%
No 26 20.00%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Four View Post
There are only "leeches" for the most part and I am assuming he is talking about ANYONE collecting welfare of any kind because big business refuses to pay a livable wage so they don't need welfare and after a while they figure why even work anymore while my back breaking labor goes into the pockets of some 1%ers and not my own!? Government needs to completely separate its self from big business and put them back in place. I just don't think we will ever get that with the kind of corrupt government/big business partnership we have now. A complete destruction of the current system is needed to get rid of the corruption and corrupted.IMO
So why do I have to have my labor or income from my labor confiscated to pay for those who figure they can just choose to live on welfare handouts because they aren't going to be given a 6 figure salary?

Already in many regions, births to the welfare crowd outnumber those to working taxpayers.

When I have to work for someone else's benefit, I don't own my own labor, I'm a slave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 08:37 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
I wonder why any variation of a single payer system is considered to be sooo bad and yet when eligible for it Medicare is great. Makes no sense.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:58 PM

966 posts, read 1,347,070 times
If you want a example of how well a single payer system works, look at communist Russia, it does not work and I am not talking from the view point of someone who has read about it, but straight from the horses mouth so to speak. I had a chance to talk to a couple of Soviet pilots who defected to the West, they warned us how bad they healthcare system was in Russia and if we were not careful, we would soon be in the same boat.
I don't want the govt telling me what I can and cannot have, that is not their job and there is NOTHING in the Constitution that says you have a right to health care.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:12 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
If you want a example of how well a single payer system works, look at communist Russia, it does not work and I am not talking from the view point of someone who has read about it, but straight from the horses mouth so to speak. I had a chance to talk to a couple of Soviet pilots who defected to the West, they warned us how bad they healthcare system was in Russia and if we were not careful, we would soon be in the same boat.
I don't want the govt telling me what I can and cannot have, that is not their job and there is NOTHING in the Constitution that says you have a right to health care.

So what. Healthcare meant nothing in 1787 where most died young and they really didn't know much about medicine anyway. They had no idea what healthcare would mean to us in the future. The Constitution was the blueprint for us but we don't live in those times and have to adjust to the time we live in now.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:26 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I wonder why any variation of a single payer system is considered to be sooo bad and yet when eligible for it Medicare is great. Makes no sense.
Because workers have paid in 3.3% of their salary for a nominal 45 years in order to take advantage of the program.

I am an advocate of national health if, and only if, everyone pays into the system at a rate that allows the government to cover the costs without additional borrowing. Countries like Germany, a liberal favorite, adopt such a model. I am ready to pay up today; most estimates place the payroll tax at between 8 and 12%. I'm ready. Are you?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:39 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,785,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Because workers have paid in 3.3% of their salary for a nominal 45 years in order to take advantage of the program.

I am an advocate of national health if, and only if, everyone pays into the system at a rate that allows the government to cover the costs without additional borrowing. Countries like Germany, a liberal favorite, adopt such a model. I am ready to pay up today; most estimates place the payroll tax at between 8 and 12%. I'm ready. Are you?
The issue is who won't want to pay for it. What's the cut off range for subsidies? What's the cut off range for exempting the "really poor".

Is it about $20k for individual like Germany? But those making $30k a year will complain they are paying too much.

And the cost savings from single payer means restricting health provider pay. It's no secret physician salaries are very low in Germany compares to the US. Will docs just work less? Sure nurse practitioners and PAs can pick up the slack. But if docs get paid less. Than the NPs and PAs will have to get paid less and it's just trickles down the health care chain. ICU nurses can routinely make 100k working mainly 3 days a week. 12 hour shifts. Plus pick up some extra "mandatory shifts" Everyone will have to take a haircut.

Providers will do less procedures. They have incentive in a fee for service system. Also less testing is done. In the USA almost every "head injury" that comes to the ER gets a CT scan because they don't want to miss a diagnosis. But there's this fear factor if you miss a head bleed. You butt will get sued. So if providers are employed by the government or hospital owned by government like our military systems and VA system. Less testing is done. Lawyers hate suing the VA and military system. It's hard to extract money from the govt.

So that's what a national health system looks like. It's fair.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:46 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
[/b]
Prove it. You make up a lot of stuff to back up your conservative agenda. Explain to me exactly how you know what these "leeches" who live in your mind feel about this issue. Do you have a crystal ball? Tea leaves? A palantir? Enquiring minds earnestly want to know.
All you need to do is look at who supported ACA and the reasons given to know that what the other poster said is true.

The whole support is based upon giving people subsidies by taking from others...

Old 04-06-2014, 09:49 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
All you need to do is look at who supported ACA and the reasons given to know that what the other poster said is true.

The whole support is based upon giving people subsidies by taking from others...
You do know that if you are insured you are already paying for the uninsured.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:16 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If someone chooses to use their money to buy things other than healthcare, then that's on them.
You mean like food?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:22 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,630 times
[quote=alaskaboy;34244529]. Give people health care in this country and they take advantage.
QUOTE]The nerve that some people might actually use their healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies