Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 10:20 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yep, if Walmart has to give their workers two dollars more so that they don't have to go on food stamps to get enough food to survive, they will report a full .0038 less on their next quarter's EPS, and their CEO will only get only $22,389,279 in quarterly bonuses instead of $24,873,947. The unspeakable horror.

Conservatives are happiest when workers are paid in floggings and the rich overlords are worshipped and carried around in the air by a team of slaves, like back in the Good Old Days (aka the medieval times).
That's not really the concern though, is it?

What about increasing inflation, or the effect on unemployment.

I'm not a conservative, but there are legitimate concerns with raising the unemployment that you avoid discussing.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:40 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,624 times
Making min wage used to be for young people, now I see many older people in my town working at Walmart for min wage.
I know that making min wage in the 1980's was struggling but do-able. Not today with everything costing so much more.
What is the alternative so people aren't going hungry in our country? I keep hearing about things like start a business or go back to school,etc....many of these people just don't have that time or energy to work full time & start a business...what do we do with them? I don't want to hear "they should have planned,saved,etc" stuff happens so to speak..so what should be done with them?

Old 04-05-2014, 10:43 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Four View Post
Democrats Won't Compromise on the Minimum Wage Because That's Their Campaign
Good! They compromised on healthcare and instead of a 1 payer system we got what we have now...stop trying to please the republicans and their rich backers and just push this through. MILLIONS depend on it.

Oh and for those that say it will destroy jobs,that lie has been debunked.

Raising the minimum wage does not destroy jobs | Al Jazeera America
Al Jazeera? Seriously?

Old 04-05-2014, 12:16 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

What about increasing inflation, or the effect on unemployment.

I'm not a conservative, but there are legitimate concerns with raising the unemployment that you avoid discussing.
Perhaps we need some worker skin in the game. If a substantial minimum wage increase were to take affect, I'd favor not allowing UC to be collected by anyone affected at their present job. That would mean they would be backing up via prospective action any misguided belief they may have that their employment would not be threatened by such an increase.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:20 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
It should be a dog eat dog world eh? Survival of the fittest?
Grandstand much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Though at this point, most of the blue states have already increased their minimum wage above federal levels, if the red states want to get left behind, I say that is their problem.
Bandwagon

If you suggest that someone’s claim is correct simply because it’s what most everyone is coming to believe, then you’re are using the bandwagon fallacy. Get up here with us on the wagon where the band is playing, and go where we go, and don’t think too much about the reasons. The Latin term for this fallacy of appeal to novelty is Argumentum ad Novitatem.

Let's watch and see if your remaining global jobs do not flee to Red States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
My point is that you can't live off minimum wage anymore.
Yes, you can live off of minimum wage. The fact that people do not no how to live off of minimum wage is not proof that you cannot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Do you think calling it a "disaster" will make it a disaster? It doesn`t really work that way in the real world.
Um, the Laws of Economics are the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
It should be at least $12.00 an hour.
Yes, it should be if you want to lose twice as many jobs.

Quote:
I am just curious. For those that don't want a min wage hike or even a min wage law period. Do you think its OK for 6 walton's ya know the ones that own Wal Mart to be worth more than the lower 40% of Americans?
Do you think it's okay for people like you to be insanely jealous of others?

I do not see where that is emotionally healthy...

Mircea

Old 04-05-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I made minimum wage in the 1980's, I was poor, but not dirt poor like people today that make it.
Anecdotal Evidence

This is fallacious generalizing on the basis of a some story that provides an inadequate sample.

Quote:
Actually heres a good comparison. in 1988 I made minimum wage. Witht hat I paid rent, food, and other bills. no car. Wife and kid.

I have friends today-BOTH work. They cannot afford a car, and are struggling to make rent month to month.

2X as many working, and STILL not doing as good as I was.
Tell them to give up their iPhones and NetFlix subscriptions.

Quote:
Weird that the ACTUAL inflation rates don't reflect that....theres no massive surge in inflation that removes the buying power right after minimum wage increases.
Well, it is Economics not a video game. It takes months, sometimes even years for affects to show.

Quote:
Oh wait...you mean that inflation killed your increased incomes back then....so your solution is to ignore it and let inflation continue without increasing the minimum wage? REALLY?
You have repeatedly proven that you don't understand Economics or Inflation.

When you do understand, you'll see how silly your comments and questions really are.

Quote:
Really they should pass one and just peg it to inflation so we stop having this debate.
Based on what logic and Laws of Economics?

Quote:
Raising the minimum wage keeps it in line as much as possible with inflation. You DO know what inflation is right?
Yes --- but you don't.

Quote:
So whats your solution then? Seriously, lets hear your better idea.
The Laws of Economics have provided you with a solution.....government need not take any action.

Quote:
Again I am not hearing a solution.
No solution is required to a problem that is non-existent.

To the extent that a solution is necessary, the Laws of Economics have provided one.

Quote:
But all the conservatives despise mine. basic income, and no minimum wage.
Suppressed Evidence

Intentionally failing to use information suspected of being relevant and significant is committing the fallacy of suppressed evidence. This fallacy usually occurs when the information counts against one’s own conclusion.

Lying

A fallacy of reasoning that depends on intentionally saying something that is known to be false.

You lied.....when you can define "basic income" objectively in no uncertain terms, then a dialogue about "basic income" is possible.

Quote:
And inflation IS based upon your rising costs, rent food etc.
You lied again. Housing costs were replaced with Owner Equivalent Rent in 1983, which skews the data, and proves you do not understand Economics.

Quote:
Pegging minimum wage to it would work if it was set to a livable wage.
It would not work, and you refuse to define "livable wage" objectively in no uncertain terms.

Quote:
What makes you think that a healthcare system is unconstitutional?
So....you still haven't read National Federation Of Independent Business Et Al. v. Sebelius, Secretary Of Health And Human Services, Et Al. US Supreme Court 2012?

Or you read it, but didn't understand it?

It also shows you do not understand healthcare systems.

Try arguing from facts instead of emotionally-based anecdotal evidence....

Mircea

Old 04-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The question of whether or not it will destroy jobs hasn't been debunked.
Correct.

You have 1,539 separately functioning economies in the united States, each with its own Labor Market.

You have 800+ Skill-sets.

For methodology, you would only look at those Skill-sets that would be impacted by a minimum wage or a union-coerced wage.

The CEO Skill-set would not be impacted. Note that at one time, CEOs were "local boys" and then that expanded to encompass all of the economies/Labor Markets within a given State: the Ohio Scale Company would hire an Ohio-person to be CEO as a matter of pride, for example.

Over-time, the competition for CEOs intensified to where there was only one Labor Market -- the whole US.

Now the competition is so freaking intense, that the Labor Market for CEOs is the entire world. Witness the number of foreign-born CEOs now running US corporations (both publicly traded and private corporations). That kind of competition demands high salaries.

But for fast-food workers, competition is limited to 1 Labor Market, or perhaps several Labor Markets that are contiguous.

As an example, here in the Cincinnati Labor Market -- one of the 1,539 in the US -- there is a shortage of fast-food workers, and the result is that fast-food workers have been paid over the "federal" minimum wage for two decades now....$8.50 to $10.00/hour.

Raising the "federal" minimum may not necessarily have a negative impact on fast-food workers in the Cincinnati Labor Market, but it will definitely negatively impact workers with other Skill-sets in the export arena.

At $7.50-$9.00/hour an export worker is barely competitive against Romanians earning $2.45/hour or Filipinos at $0.60/hour or Vietnamese at $0.45/hour or whatever, but increase the "federal" minimum wage to $10+/hour and you just killed those jobs.

Ohio already lost several thousand jobs in the export sector with the last increase in "federal" minimum wage back in 2007, and then lost thousands more jobs, when Democrats increased the State minimum wage.

Anyway, the point is that each of the 800+ Skill-sets (and you can find these on the DOL web-site) has a floor wage --- a minimum wage below which no person will work -- and then you have a maximum wage -- set by the Laws of Economics above which no one can pay for each of the 1,539 separate Labor Markets in the US.

If a government or union mandated wage approaches or exceeds the maximum wage for a specific Skill-set, then you lose the job, and if not, then most likely the job stays.

Economically...

Mircea

Old 04-05-2014, 02:23 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Violent Anti-African Race Riot Rocks Israel, Black Men and Women Beaten

Wow...They just want a new home and jobs and stuff. We welcome them here with open arms so should Israeli's.
Who is we?

Old 04-05-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Violent Anti-African Race Riot Rocks Israel, Black Men and Women Beaten

Wow...They just want a new home and jobs and stuff. We welcome them here with open arms so should Israeli's.
I just want to bang Kate uptown and drive a Lamborghini, guess what it aint going to happen.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:33 PM

I think you're going to see more reactions like this in the future. People from first world nations are seeing what unchecked mass immigration from third world **** holes is doing to their countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies