Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:12 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

As soon as they make this kind of technology a requirement for all police and military around the country, then they can tell me I have to have it.... not until.

If you ask me it's a pipe dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 02:24 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
As soon as they make this kind of technology a requirement for all police and military around the country, then they can tell me I have to have it.... not until.
I think this would awesome technology for law enforcement.

As far as I can tell, about 10 officers are assaulted a year with their own sidearms. This technology would end that.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:35 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I think this would awesome technology for law enforcement.

As far as I can tell, about 10 officers are assaulted a year with their own sidearms. This technology would end that.

You have a lot of faith in "technology."
Would you trust your life to your bracelet?
When my computer doesn't work, I don't get shot.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:52 PM

966 posts, read 1,346,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post

As for violating your 2nd Amendment rights, even if they made it mandatory for ALL guns. You would still be able to bear arms. That right would not be taken away from you in any way shape or form.
Guess you missed the part about SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. if it is mandatory, it is a infringement.
How about requiring a spelling test before you can use your 1st Amendment Rights ?
or a law exam before you can use your 5th ?

Old 04-09-2014, 02:54 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Maybe the DOJ should also make it compulsory that certain religious groups wear yellow stars on their clothing...hmm, now that's been done before.

Democrats, you could really go far with this stuff.

I don't care if this is technically feasible or if it's constitutional. The politics of this are horrendous and the blowback will be ridiculous.

Last edited by Dockside; 04-09-2014 at 03:07 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eborg

As for violating your 2nd
Amendment rights, even if they made it mandatory for ALL guns. You would still
be able to bear arms. That right would not be taken away from you in any way
shape or form.
Using this logic, the gov't could ban all guns except for muskets and you would still have the right to bear arms.... That's just not how it works, according to the supreme court. According to the 2008 and 2010 SCOTUS decisions, the second amendment protects any firearm that is in common use for lawful purposes. Traditional firearms that do not rely on technology to operate ARE in common use, and they are protected.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:08 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
So I realize you have no real idea how a lot of this tech works, which is why I mention cars. Because the tech that would be used in a situation like this would be remarkably similar to tech that is currently used in cars. Using that comparison you should be able to better understand things. In no way am I trying to equate Cars to Guns. I am comparing the technology.
Which means that people do need to be concerned since the tech already exists to disable cars on demand.

Quote:
As for software updates, you would have to do it at a very, very close range, nothing nationwide scale would be possible. You could disrupt the electronics on a massively large scale but it would be ridiculously destructive to our entire countries infrastructure.
Except you need some form of electronics, and if using a wireless dongle (RFID, phone, wristband) some form of wireless, therefore some disable signal could be sent to disable the firearm. This means that it can be co-opted by the malicious (either legally or illegally). No muss no fuss, and no massive disruption. What do you think that some crazed shooter with a firearm that has this security, is not going to have it disabled via a remote disable function built in? If the police can disable it, then someone else can find a way to disable it, and of course what about defending yourself from the police (it's not like it hasn't happened).

Would the police and/or military have universal dongles so that they could use any firearm? If we have these how would we secure these high value dongles, and update all weapons when a universal dongles security is revoked? For example suppose a dongle is stolen, copies are made of it's signature, the signature is revoked, how will a firearm know that the signature is no longer valid, if it was made before the signature was revoked without some form of update? The alternative is that police and military can only fire their issued weapons, unless we don't apply the same technology to theirs, which makes those weapons higher value and more attractive for theft, and of course does not prevent the case where the cop is shot by his duty weapon.

Moreover we don't have any idea how this would work. For example, how would a firearm be paired? It's going to be software, so either the pairing would be in the control mechanism, or would be available as a downloadable application, so effectively anyone can pair anything. That being the case, then how would this prevent guns being used by non-owners? If there is a way to permit multiple users (and there should be) then there needs to be a facility to permit adding users, how would that work?

If the firearm is secured by fingerprint, then how can it overcome the current limitations, which are that you need clean hands (very clean hands in some cases) and clean reader. not to mention the drawback of using gloves.

If pairing is strictly controlled (i.e. you need to take the firearm to some licensed authority to update the users) and is limited to one dongle (whatever that dongle is) there is a registry, because there needs to be a record of which dongle is tied to which firearm, in case you lose the dongle. We already have ample evidence that such data is of (validly or invalidly) "inherent government interest" and would be in government hands either overtly, or covertly in moments of the system going live.

If the device fails, does it fail safe? What would that mean? Will not fire, or will fire? Do we require the police and military to carry these too? In the instance of say an EMP, how could we expect these to operate under those conditions for civil defense and public safety measures? How would you make the device completely unremovable? A firearms trigger is a pretty simple mechanism, it would be difficult to install something that could not be simply removed using drills and Dremels, which while illegal, will not stop your average bank robber.

How would you deal with personal firearms manufacture (which is completely legal)? Do you ban it, or do you just require that they have the device? If they must have the device (but no ban) that prevents you from having strict control of pairing, since the self builder requires to pair his device.

Finally the issue of comparing cars and guns is the following. Cars REQUIRE electrical power to operate, there are very few guns that require electrical power to operate (there was some electrically fired models built by Remington some time ago that did not do so well). So while with a car you are not using a crowbar to enable the technology, with a firearm you are.

In fact given the conditions most guns operate in, having electrical power requirements is a detriment, because they're expected to operate in all circumstances, i.e. after a nuclear detonation, being submerged in water, in high EM environments (for instance a modern battlefield, which has high power radar, jamming, and Vox/Data comms), after long periods of no use, in air temperatures over 212F to under -60F. While all of the drawbacks apply to mostly military applications (-60F being excepted for people like me, who do shoot at those temperatures), if one of the drawbacks of a US invasion should be that there is an armed populace, you are providing a means for your enemies to neutralize that drawback easily, using the same method as you would neutralize their C3/C4 systems.

Quote:
If they were to put tracking devices in with this technology that would be one thing, and it would be something that would be able to be found out easily and immediately as the gun would have to send out a signal that could be tracked. This is not what is being discussed though. If they start discussing that then your point would be valid.
But the article did mention that Holder suggested GPS, do you know of any function of GPS other than for location services?

That's what I can pick apart after about 20 minutes of brainstorming.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:14 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep, with a PIN access code. Share it with whoever may need to have access to the gun.

ETA: Optional use of such digital control only, of course.
I was thinking more in line some kind or hand print or eye type of thing.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
I was thinking more in line some kind or hand print or eye type of thing.
Hold the gun up next to your face so some scanner can read your eye """" scan failed, please try again"""".... That's just what you want to have to do at 3AM as someone is smashing in your window.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post

No database is required. I suspect one might be useful if you needed to replace a lost or broken bracelet, but that can also be taken care of by an engraved key on the gun. So it's not required.
...And despite the legislation for background checks in my state specifically forbidding that information for being used to build a gun registry the State Police keep that information arguing in court since it doesn't include all guns it's not a registry.

I'll say it again, this is interesting technology with a lot of potential, keep the government out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies