Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 01:32 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Skillet View Post
Actually that technology has been out for over 100 years with the 1911 and it's grip safety that must be depressed in order for the weapon to fire. The HK P7PSP and P7M8 series pistols with their squeeze cocker is another one. Countless felons couldn't figure out how to operate it after removing it from the LEOs holster or hand. The S&W Model 40 Lemon Squeezer snub nose .38 with it's grip safety as well as the Springfield Armory XD and XD/m as well just to name a few.
The grip safety has nothing to do with restricting who can fire the weapon. It just requires a proper grip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 03:06 PM

132 posts, read 117,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The grip safety has nothing to do with restricting who can fire the weapon. It just requires a proper grip.
Yeah, but do you think a three year old can figure "that" out? It's very doubtful since grown adults unfamiliar with firearms can't. You should see all the people who can't figure out and work a liner lock on a pocketknife for crying out loud.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:10 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,507,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
So if the battery died, the gun won't work? Great idea for a weapon that is used only occasionally for self defense.

One of the best things about the typical gun is that it is 100% mechanical. No electronics that can fail, needs power, be monitored, or hacked.
That would be one of the technology things to figure out.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:17 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,507,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Skillet View Post
Actually that technology has been out for over 100 years with the 1911 and it's grip safety that must be depressed in order for the weapon to fire. The HK P7PSP and P7M8 series pistols with their squeeze cocker is another one. Countless felons couldn't figure out how to operate it after removing it from the LEOs holster or hand. The S&W Model 40 Lemon Squeezer snub nose .38 with it's grip safety as well as the Springfield Armory XD and XD/m as well just to name a few.
Most police use retention holsters now, and on a side note, police getting killed by a firearm is a very rare occurance these days.

We had fewer law enforcement officers die by gunshot this year than any year since 1888. That's not a per capita figure either.

30 were killed intentionally with a firearm, and 2 by accident.

There are around a million commissioned LEO's in the U.S.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Most police use retention holsters now, and on a side note, police getting killed by a firearm is a very rare occurance these days.

We had fewer law enforcement officers die by gunshot this year than any year since 1888. That's not a per capita figure either.

30 were killed intentionally with a firearm, and 2 by accident.

There are around a million commissioned LEO's in the U.S.
Most LEOs are trained in weapon retention and have back up plans with modern tactical folding knives to slash a would be "grabbers" hand to bloody hamburger with their off hand while maintaining control with their strong hand as well.

Still though, some of these classic designs have their place. If many "gun guys" can't figure out how a HK P7PSP works, does anyone think some ghetto thug will? It's very doubtful.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:45 PM

1,074 posts, read 758,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The Justice Department is considering bringing gun tracking bracelets into federal gun control efforts, Attorney General Eric Holder said Friday.

Holder told a House appropriations subcommittee that the DOJ wants to “explore” gun tracking bracelets and other technological innovations as part of its gun violence prevention programs, the Free Beacon reports.

Eric Holder Says DOJ Wants to 'Explore' Electronic Bracelets For Gun Owners
That's so we can become prisoners in our own homes, and if, while we are away, our wife needs the gun she would be unable to defend herself, unless she knew right where the "bracelet" was.

I think Eric Holder should be wearing an ankle bracelet, and his whereabouts tracked.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
That's so we can become prisoners in our own homes, and if, while we are away, our wife needs the gun she would be unable to defend herself, unless she knew right where the "bracelet" was.

I think Eric Holder should be wearing an ankle bracelet, and his whereabouts tracked.
That's another thing that is nice if you live in a State that does not require your "using" firearm to be locked up. I'm talking about the one to three you have out of your safe and loaded, ready to use. If you are fortunate enough to live in a State that doesn't require them to be locked, you are far better off with it on top of the dresser seven feet up so kids can't reach it, than in one of those damn fingerprint combo bedside safes. About the time I would need it, the SOB would malfunction on me. Glad I don't have to. When small kids come around it goes on top of the frig hidden behind a flower basket or something. I'm not putting my life in the hands of "electronic" devices that can fail and are well known and prone to do so.

How's that damn power door lock and window on your vehicle doing by the way? To be honest, I have a drivers side window motor out right now that I need to replace before it gets much hotter.

No thank you!!

Old 04-12-2014, 04:22 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,371,679 times
Hey Holder.......I got a nice shiny pair of bracelets for you..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies