Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:55 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The Justice Department is considering bringing gun tracking bracelets into federal gun control efforts, Attorney General Eric Holder said Friday.

Holder told a House appropriations subcommittee that the DOJ wants to “explore” gun tracking bracelets and other technological innovations as part of its gun violence prevention programs, the Free Beacon reports.

Eric Holder Says DOJ Wants to 'Explore' Electronic Bracelets For Gun Owners
To quote Eric Holder on another issue - “You don’t want to go there buddy!”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 07:57 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Tape it to the rear axle of a semi trailer, heading east.
LOL I like this ^^

Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I don't know about YOU, but I've never planned my FU's very well. They always just seem to happen, even when I'm being careful.

I know no child will EVER have unsupervised access to one of your guns... but what about your NEIGHBOR'S kids to HIS guns? And what if YOUR kid is playing at the neighbor's house at the time...

Maybe your NEIGHBOR oughta have one of those bracelets...

See where I'm going with this?
If kids had some fear of what would happen if the EVER touched their parents gun it wouldn't happen in the first place. My dad had guns in our livingroom while I was growing up, most the time unlocked. I would have NEVER thought about touching his guns........ NEVER

I am a female and find guns a useful weapon for me to own without a bracelet.

So, now you want us to look at our neighbors as possible irresponsible gun owners, just in case?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:17 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
While not a gun lover, I cannot get my head around this idea. Here's my thoughts:

Guns used purely for sporting purposes would perhaps lend themselves to this idea but guns purchased and intended to be used purely for self-defense ~ NOPE!

The term self defense by it's very definition, implys "emergency". In that regard weapons that have been refined for over a hundred years to be as reliable as an iron skillet should not have some piece of technology attached that may impede it's function in a case of emergency.

Having said all of this; if it's the control of ALL private firearm ownership the government desires, then it should debate that in an open and transparent forum by suggesting an amendment to the 2nd amendment negating ownership of firearms for personal self defense instead of prevention of tyrannical governments and let the show begin where it belongs in front of the people in a truly democratic fashion.

All of this government agency back door stuff should stop and in it's place an open and honest debate about the very nature of the 2nd amendment take place where all parties put forth their positions vis-a-vis the 2nd and it's original intent being inclusive of personal self defense or not, and it's relevance or continued appropriateness in today's American society.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:40 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
While not a gun lover, I cannot get my head around this idea. Here's my thoughts:

Guns used purely for sporting purposes would perhaps lend themselves to this idea but guns purchased and intended to be used purely for self-defense ~ NOPE!

The term self defense by it's very definition, implys "emergency". In that regard weapons that have been refined for over a hundred years to be as reliable as an iron skillet should not have some piece of technology attached that may impede it's function in a case of emergency.

Having said all of this; if it's the control of ALL private firearm ownership the government desires, then it should debate that in an open and transparent forum by suggesting an amendment to the 2nd amendment negating ownership of firearms for personal self defense instead of prevention of tyrannical governments and let the show begin where it belongs in front of the people in a truly democratic fashion.

All of this government agency back door stuff should stop and in it's place an open and honest debate about the very nature of the 2nd amendment take place where all parties put forth their positions vis-a-vis the 2nd and it's original intent being inclusive of personal self defense or not, and it's relevance or continued appropriateness in today's American society.
If the idea behind these bracelets, would be one per gun owner, and all his guns are keyed to that one bracelet, then his wife would not be able to use the gun for home defense. Many times hunting guns are shared between hunters. If your hunting buddy has a lot of shotguns, and you just borrow one of his to go duck hunting, then these bracelets might bring that to a halt.

I could see gun manufacturers going for this idea, if all they were after was increased gun sales. But could you imagine the law suits flying, if people died because their bracelet malfunctioned, or they had a gun, but could not fire it because they could not get to the bracelet and were raped, robbed or killed by a home invader?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:00 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Default "Holder Bracelets"

EH would do better to make anyone who gets a student visa wear one of those bracelets. They just nabbed a delinquent student visa applicant trying to drone bomb a Conn school.

How about a bracelet for illegal aliens charged with commiting crimes, turned loose for trial date in the future and fail to appear.

EH got the tracking idea from Fast abd Furious!!!!!!!! Too bad he didn't track the guns......or the straw buyers or the ultimate buyers.

Everyone could wear their bracelets fulltime and drive the new director of the dept of social justice crazy.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
It's an external safety that allows the gun to only be operated by the owner ( as opposed to his four year old).

Sounds like a great idea to me.
Make it optional. Those who agree can use one. Those who don't agree, aren't required to use one.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Make it optional. Those who agree can use one. Those who don't agree, aren't required to use one.
How long do you really think optional would remain optional?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 AM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The Justice Department is considering bringing gun tracking bracelets into federal gun control efforts, Attorney General Eric Holder said Friday.

Holder told a House appropriations subcommittee that the DOJ wants to “explore” gun tracking bracelets and other technological innovations as part of its gun violence prevention programs, the Free Beacon reports.

Eric Holder Says DOJ Wants to 'Explore' Electronic Bracelets For Gun Owners
That's funny... let's just say this was already instated , I really don't think that the 3 thugs that shot a store owner for $100 in my area a couple of weeks ago would have "tracking bracelets" on... Just more feel good , smoke up the a_$$ to make the sheeple feel good.

Clinton Township Police release enhanced photos of suspects in murder of party store owner 'Basil' - WXYZ.com

Old 04-09-2014, 09:23 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,506 times
Tracking device or not (I am sure that if it electronic it's not much of a stretch to make it a tracking device) he can have it and wear it himself. If I was putting my life on one of those working all of the time, trouble free, I would not want it. If you think it is a good idea, you can wear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies