Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:01 AM

46,260 posts, read 27,078,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Too bad none of those actually helped her with her heart condition, apparently.
So she had the ability to help herself, she did not, and that's the republicans fault, how?

Which makes your entire thread a complete 100% lie.....

Were all these programs supposed to go find here?

Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The article said 3 children.
Where are the father(s)? Any help from him / them?

Old 04-09-2014, 10:09 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
How many kids does she have?

I still don't understand how someone can have 3 jobs and make only $9,000 per year (according to the article). Seems like a lot of details are missing.
She had three children. Her three jobs were babysitting, cleaning houses, and selling vacuums, which easily explains the $9,000. Those aren't just part-time jobs, they are poorly paid ones with only intermittent employment.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:15 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Where are the father(s)? Any help from him / them?
Is not that the biggest issue facing America? One that is seldom addressed by our liberal friends. Seems she lost her insurance when she separated from her husband.

It is liberals who are primarily responsible for the disintegration of the family and the resulting crime and poverty.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Stories like this one should make Florida Republicans and their supporters really happy.

This 32-Year-Old Florida Woman Is Dead Because Her State Refused To Expand Medicaid | ThinkProgress

This woman had a chronic health condition, and worked three jobs trying to get by on $11,000 per year. Clearly she was lazy and entitled. Nice job, conservatives.
Why didn't she move to a liberal state with a high minimum wage and unlimited free health care?

Old 04-09-2014, 10:53 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why didn't she move to a liberal state with a high minimum wage and unlimited free health care?
What's free health care? Is it paid for by magical fairies sprinkling glitter over your doctor's bill?

Old 04-09-2014, 10:55 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
She had three children. Her three jobs were babysitting, cleaning houses, and selling vacuums, which easily explains the $9,000. Those aren't just part-time jobs, they are poorly paid ones with only intermittent employment.
The going rate for 13 year old babysitters in my neighborhood is $10 an hour. (Which is insane, IMO). I pay my housekeeper about $20 an hour.
And when I had my older two, a lady kept them in her house for $150 per week, which was a great deal for us. She kept 4 babies at a time, so she made $600 per week, and took off two weeks a year. We provided all of the supplies, so she made $30,000 per year and didn't have to buy any supplies.

It's not that hard to make more than $9,000 per year. It seems like there are more issues here than the article is admitting. Not surprisingly, since it's Think Progress.

Dems to ignore all of the county health clinics and sliding scale non-profits. I had to go to our county health clinic last year to get a copy of my son's BC. There was a big sign on the check in window that said, "We do not inquire about immigration status.
We operate on a sliding scale, and what you pay is tied to your stated income. You will need to verbally state your income. We do not ask for documents to verify your income."

It seems like there are resources available for people who want them. But I wonder if someone who struggles to make $9,000 a year is not good at using their available resources. No amount of mandating with solve that, the majority of people eligible for the expanded Medicaid and subsidies haven't even signed up.

(Note- the last two paragraphs are not aimed at the person I quoted in this post.)

Old 04-09-2014, 10:58 AM

If liberals really cared about these people, they would offer to relocate them to the liberal states. Liberals know that states like Texas and Florida aren't taking good enough care of their impoverished, so why aren't liberals trying to get them moved to states like Illinois or California where no one dies? No one goes without?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
When the Obamacare (ACA) was first passed the states were mandated to expand Medicaid to anyone making less than 131% of the poverty rate, regardless of age. Based on this assumption, the law did not have built into it subsidies for people making less than 131% of the poverty rate, as they planned on having those people funded by the states. (That was part of that "we have to pass it to see what's in it" part). When the Supreme Court correctly ruled that Obamacare could not mandate states expand Medicaid no one bothered to go back and fix that little glitch, or heck, maybe they hadn't got around to reading it yet. Bottom line, probably the people who most needed the help slipped through the cracks in about half the states. This was one of the most poorly conceived, poorly written, poorly understood, poorly implemented laws in my lifetime and the magnitude of it's impact makes it far worse.
Well said.

It also does not address assets......you can have anything....as long as you income is low.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What's free health care? Is it paid for by magical fairies sprinkling glitter over your doctor's bill?
Why it's in liberal states of course. She could have had all the free health care she could have wanted if only she had gone to one of the blue obama states.

I'm in Texas and we have a lot of very impoverished and uninsured people, I'm just wondering when the liberals start offering to relocate them to one of the liberal states. If they really care, they would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies