Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 06:45 AM

89,653 posts, read 45,265,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Side note question...

If we raise taxes on corporations do the consumers and workers essentially pay the vast majority of the tax?

As in, the company will either raise the cost of the goods it produces OR lower what it costs for labor (ie less salary/benefits/workers/etc) OR a combination of both 9 time out of 10?
Excellent point! Many of us have tried to explain this to them, but the brainwashing has been quite severe. For some reason, they inexplicably believe that magically somehow businesses don't factor their expenses into employee salaries and/or prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 06:54 AM

26,718 posts, read 15,269,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly.You have to wonder if liberals are being intentionally deceptive? Or do they really not know any better, whether that's due to ignorance or blindly believing leftist propaganda.
Well, when you have Obama who lies constantly as your leader...a man who says he would raise the capital gains tax even if that meant less government revenue, because that would be more fair and so he could spend more...seriously, you can't make this stuff up... Talk about a low IQ argument from Obama.

Barack Obama will raise Capital Gains Taxes...even if it means less tax revenue!! - YouTube

Old 04-11-2014, 07:08 AM

10,970 posts, read 5,809,309 times
Quote:
Side note question...

If we raise taxes on corporations do the consumers and workers essentially pay the vast majority of the tax?

As in, the company will either raise the cost of the goods it produces OR lower what it costs for labor (ie less salary/benefits/workers/etc) OR a combination of both 9 time out of 10?
ALL taxes are paid by individuals.

If corporate taxes are raised, they will be paid by 1) consumers through higher prices, 2) employees through lower wages and benefits, and 3) owners through lower returns.

Corporate taxation is a wonderful scheme for politicians to use to divert attention away from what is really happening.

"We won't let those evil corporations get away with becoming too wealthy! We'll raise taxes on the corporations to make sure that they pay their fair share!"

What a crock. Sadly, too many people naively believe this.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:58 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,832,391 times
Quote:
Side note question...

depends on the type of good/service you're talking about

something like cable services, where there is zero competition and the government basically accepts monopolies -- costs will be passed to consumers in the form of higher prices.

something more globally competitive -- we'll say auto manufacturing -- the market cannot bear higher prices, so you'd be more likely to see those costs absorbed by shareholders.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
depends on the type of good/service you're talking about

something like cable services, where there is zero competition and the government basically accepts monopolies -- costs will be passed to consumers in the form of higher prices.

something more globally competitive -- we'll say auto manufacturing -- the market cannot bear higher prices, so you'd be more likely to see those costs absorbed by shareholders.
If they lose profitability, Obama comes in and throws $100 Billion at GM when counting promises of future tax exemptions, consumer subsidies, etc...

To a certain point, the company can't let their shares fall, and will look to keep profit by cutting worker compensation one way or another.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:43 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,873,184 times
It's only right to ask the original poster to post a source for their information, as it's my understanding the rich pay way more.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:44 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,832,391 times
Quote:
If they lose profitability, Obama comes in and throws $100 Billion at GM when counting promises of future tax exemptions, consumer subsidies, etc...

right... but that wasn't your question.

Quote:
To a certain point, the company can't let their shares fall, and will look to keep profit by cutting worker compensation one way or another.
again, how companies respond to increasing costs all goes back to the level of competition in that industry.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,430,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
Sounds like progressives are ready for a for a flat/fair tax. Otherwise, I don't want to hear your whining.
Flat taxes are regressive, unless paired with an EITC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
If your state is taking 11% in income taxes, you should move to another state. Even in the tax hell that is Maryland, the most one pays is about 8% on taxable income, after deductions. There are few states that take more than Maryland does.
I live in New York. My effective tax rate was between 5% and 6%. The OP was referring to the combination of property tax, sales tax, and income tax. Where I live sales tax is 8.75% on everything except food and clothes. I am thankful that New York has the decency to not tax people on basic needs. If I were taxed on food and clothing, I'm looking at a total state tax liability far north of 10%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Even if those state tax rates are accurate, I'm not seeing how adding them to their respective income groups' total effective federal tax rate results in the working poor paying twice as much in taxes as the rich.

Data source: Average Effective Federal Tax Rates

Note to moderators: all images appearing in this post have been linked via HTML text command in a legally permissible manner per the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Perfect 10 v. Amazon ruling, and as such do not constitute copyright violation.
I just don't see how that document is accurate.

I just mailed my tax payment out. I don't make a super high income and I have a very experienced accountant. My effective Federal tax rate + payroll taxes would put me in the 90-95% income bracket on that chart. I do not make more than 90-95% of people out there.

Oh wait, I'm ****ing single.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
right... but that wasn't your question.

again, how companies respond to increasing costs all goes back to the level of competition in that industry.
That is the point - it is an answer to your question. You damage a large company in global competition enough and it goes out of business and tens of thousands lose jobs or Obama throws over $100,000,000,000.00 of tax payer money at it.

Much of the profits of a company will go back into research, development, and production eventually. Taking away that profit will invariably lead to cheaper costs of production (weaker product or less compensation) OR less research and development, which hurts the company and the employees in the long run.

Less employee compensation reduces government tax revenue.

How does a company directly take it out on the shareholders (the biggest shareholders of a company like Ford tend to be pensions and people with 401Ks accumulated)? The next biggest shareholder is the company itself, which needs to preserve its assets to survive.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:30 AM

Per the link from the poster InformedConsent: Average Effective Federal Tax Rates by Filing Status; by Expanded Cash Income Percentile, 2014

Notice how Romney's effective tax rate is above 95% of the country. So when Obama was claiming that teachers, firemen, and police pay a higher effective tax rate he was BSing. CNN also estimated that Romney's effective tax rate was more than 90% of the country.

Is there anything that Obama doesn't lie about? He even lied about his own mother's death to score political points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies