Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 07:47 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL, being in the top 5% of personal income in the country....I can assure you im paying more by the absolute amount, but lower then as a %.

I'm not mixed up at all, im merely pointing out that too often outrageous claims are made about who pays what by cherry picking taxation data. The %'s arent as skewed as people make them out to be, especially given all the other taxes. focusing on the federal rate while ignoring everything else is in my opinion unwise.
Top 5%? I wonder how you ever made it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
Quote:
LOL The gravy train? As a father of 8 I can assure you thats not how I would describe being a parent. 60 hr work weeks followed up by non stop work at home is how I describe it....
Your choice to have that many kids. What, did you think the government would pay you to have more than two? Are you married to their mother(s)?

Old 04-10-2014, 07:53 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,515 times
Quote:
As a consultant, and as a engineer I've been extremely succesful.

As a small business owner...not as much. Sadly I will admit to that. It was a learning experience that I pulled the plug on when I determined that it wasn't going to make me as much money as focusing on my core skills.... I suspect next round will go better.
Self employment is not easy. You have to have marketing skills as well as whatever skills you are selling. It's certainly not for everybody. It's not a matter of just hanging out a 'shingle' and saying "here I am." You have to not only learn something about marketing, but advertising as well. And, you have to be a good communicator. From what I read, that is your weakness.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:54 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
The working poor end up getting back in a federal tax refund......more than what they paid into taxes.
This is a myth. I'm Conservative, and I've been trying to educate Conservatives on this for years. Do some people get refunds? Yes. Do ALL of them get refunds? NO!

Ask me how I know?

I used to be one of those working poor. I never got a damn refund. In fact, the MORE money I made, the less I had to pay in taxes. The less money I made, the MORE I paid in taxes....no refunds.

I don't think I paid more than the rich, but to state that the working poor, (implying all of them), get refunds, is flat out false.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
You get them during the Great Redistribution, duh.
Once you cease all the assets of the so called "rich" and no one has that "morally repugnant" investment capital, there will not be anyone for you to borrow money from.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:01 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is a myth. I'm Conservative, and I've been trying to educate Conservatives on this for years. Do some people get refunds? Yes. Do ALL of them get refunds? NO!

Ask me how I know?

I used to be one of those working poor. I never got a damn refund. In fact, the MORE money I made, the less I had to pay in taxes. The less money I made, the MORE I paid in taxes....no refunds.

I don't think I paid more than the rich, but to state that the working poor, (implying all of them), get refunds, is flat out false.
I too was a part of the working poor for many years, I always got a refund, not for more then I paid in though. But the Bush tax cuts, which Obama retained, doubled the federal income tax standard and child deductions, so people are paying much less in federal income taxes, then you or I did, especially if they are married with a few children.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Once you cease all the assets of the so called "rich" and no one has that "morally repugnant" investment capital, there will not be anyone for you to borrow money from.
that's another one of those right-wing myths. .

banks don't need "rich peoples money" to lend. banks borrow directly from the federal reserve bank.

Quote:
Open market operation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since most money now exists in the form of electronic records rather than in the form of paper, open market operations are conducted simply by electronically increasing or decreasing (crediting or debiting) the amount of base money that a bank has in its reserve account at the central bank. Thus, the process does not literally require new currency. However, this will increase the central bank's requirement to print currency when the member bank demands banknotes, in exchange for a decrease in its electronic balance.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:03 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,715 times
Quote:
I know, you all looked at the title, and said "I am going to go into this thread and tear into this, this guys wrong. We ALL know the rich pay more!"
I actually looked at the title and said "I am going to go into this thread and laugh and laugh and laugh."

Old 04-10-2014, 08:05 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
that's another one of those right-wing myths. .

banks don't need "rich peoples money" to lend. banks borrow directly from the federal reserve bank.
Banks sure do need people's money to rent out.

When I pulled our money out of the banks I had two bankers call me and ask if there was a problem.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Nobody said that all of them get refunds. What we said is:

a) It's not even a "refund" if you paid zero.

b) Nobody who paid zero should be getting any "refund." Not even one person. That is, to be quite clear, if you even found ONE person who gets more back from filing a tax return than they paid in, there's a problem.

c) It's more than one person. A lot more.

d) Therefore, there's a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies