Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 06:18 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I don't think you meant to quote me...as thats been my point I have been making over and over. If youre employed the costs associated with it are paid by your employer-income that you could otherwise reasonably expect to receive as your total compensation....if you are self employed you pay it all.

I have done software engineering as a consultant for a couple years, and owned a small business as well. so yes I am familiar with it.
Do yourself a big favor and find a good CPA....not an account.

A little reading of the tax code would also help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 06:22 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Everybody pays into social security, and businesses pay half of an employee's social security. A self employed person pays the entire amount (It's called "Self Employment Tax). Nobody escapes paying for Social Security.

I think your mixed up on taxes. Overall, the rich are paying more than you are.
LOL, being in the top 5% of personal income in the country....I can assure you im paying more by the absolute amount, but lower then as a %.

I'm not mixed up at all, im merely pointing out that too often outrageous claims are made about who pays what by cherry picking taxation data. The %'s arent as skewed as people make them out to be, especially given all the other taxes. focusing on the federal rate while ignoring everything else is in my opinion unwise.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Why would you expect to be paid the 'employer' part of the ss tax? This is not money that ever shows up on your check. It's paid by the employer, it is not the same as what is taken out of your check. The employer has to pay this tax on you for having you as an employee along with the portion that comes out of your paycheck.
Tell me something. if it costs X to employ someone that the COST to employ that person. Thats what they are worth. You are paying THAT.

If a employer provides health insurance, or if they dont MATTERS to me.

IF im offered a W-2 or a I-9 position, I take that into account.

I AM paid that differential. Thats the calculation I make when offered a I-9 or a W-2 position.

What makes you think I'd take 6.3% less and pay it myself?

Old 04-09-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
From reading your posts obviously you were not very successful. You don't know the half of what successful people have to pay.
As a consultant, and as a engineer I've been extremely succesful.

As a small business owner...not as much. Sadly I will admit to that. It was a learning experience that I pulled the plug on when I determined that it wasn't going to make me as much money as focusing on my core skills.... I suspect next round will go better.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
The working poor pay more than twice as much of their income in taxes as the rich.
most of the working poor not only dont pay taxes, but get rebates from the government.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:32 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
As a consultant, and as a engineer I've been extremely succesful.

As a small business owner...not as much. Sadly I will admit to that. It was a learning experience that I pulled the plug on when I determined that it wasn't going to make me as much money as focusing on my core skills.... I suspect next round will go better.
Hold it...

If you make good money as a consultant and engineer....you WANT to lose money in your small business.

Then you write off your loss against what the government has taken for taxes.....do it right and you will get all your money back.

Now....off to a CPA.....

Old 04-09-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Hold it...

If you make good money as a consultant and engineer....you WANT to lose money in your small business.

Then you write off your loss against what the government has taken for taxes.....do it right and you will get all your money back.

Now....off to a CPA.....
LOL, you assume I didnt? Come on, I may not have known about the EITC for those without kids....but im not dumb about everything

Old 04-09-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
LOL, you assume I didnt? Come on, I may not have known about the EITC for those without kids....but im not dumb about everything
If you're a consultant, than by definition you are pretty much a business, its a DBA in the eyes of the taxman..

Old 04-09-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If you're a consultant, than by definition you are pretty much a business, its a DBA in the eyes of the taxman..
consultant getting i-9's, I did that years ago, not today. Today im on a W-2. In some ways I liked that better, in others not so much. This is much steadier income without the bumps. Lot less freedom though. good and bad.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
consultant getting i-9's, I did that years ago, not today. Today im on a W-2. In some ways I liked that better, in others not so much. This is much steadier income without the bumps. Lot less freedom though. good and bad.
yeah but I-9's give you greater ability to write off expenses..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies