Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 04:15 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
If Eich believedthat gay and lesbian people have the right to have the same legal protections under the law as straight people, then why did he simply not say so? Mozilla supposedly prides itself on diversity and equality, so that should have been something it's CEO would easily say. But he chose to resign instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Mozilla prides itself on diversity and equality? Are you sure you're not just making up stuff. When's the last time Mozilla did anything focused on "diversity and equality"? Answer: never. LOL.
Quote:
Are you serious? Have you never been to their website? That's what this whole thing was about. A CEO whose values were not in line with the values of the company he represented.
"Mozilla believes both in equality and freedom of speech. Equality is necessary for meaningful speech. And you need free speech to fight for equality. Figuring out how to stand for both at the same time can be hard.

Our organizational culture reflects diversity and inclusiveness. We welcome contributions from everyone regardless of age, culture, ethnicity, gender, gender-identity, language, race, sexual orientation, geographical location and religious views. Mozilla supports equality for all.

We have employees with a wide diversity of views. Our culture of openness extends to encouraging staff and community to share their beliefs and opinions in public. This is meant to distinguish Mozilla from most organizations and hold us to a higher standard."

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/0...s-mozilla-ceo/
Quote:
Oh, so their prior dedication to equality and tolerance consists of a statement on their website. I gotcha. This is powerful and moving.
Quote:
I can't help the fact that you don't know anything about Mozilla, or open source, or marketing, or company value statements, or equality, or the difference between CTO and CEO positions or....
Quote:
Oh, so your contention is that open source is a method for promoting tolerance for homosexuality? This is amazing! Tell us more!!
Quote:
No. That was not my contention. Or what I posted.
Quote:
Oh, so you were just randomly rambling? Because we were in the middle of discussing things that Mozilla has done to demonstrate their tolerance and diversity and you said "open source."
No. That wasn't what I posted or what I was discussing.
Quote:
If Eich believed that gay and lesbian people have the right to have the same legal protections under the law as straight people, then why did he simply not say so? Mozilla supposedly prides itself on diversity and equality, so that should have been something it's CEO would easily say. But he chose to resign instead.
Please address what I actually posted instead of making things up.

If Eich believed that gay and lesbian people have the right to have the same legal protections under the law as straight people, then why did he simply not say so? Mozilla supposedly prides itself on diversity and equality, so that should have been something it's CEO would easily say. But he chose to resign instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 04:19 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,479 times
Quote:
No. That wasn't what I posted or what I was discussing.
No, it was what you posted and was discussing. Anyone who reads the thread can clearly see how the conversation went.

Now, I'd elaborate, but the last time I wrote the transcript of the conversation, a moderator deleted it. (Of course, I'm going to wait and see if they do the same to your post, since you did the same thing.)

Old 04-12-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Mr Eich is a humble gentleman. He is not about himself. Few outside Silicon Valley were even aware he was instrumental in the development java script. It would not have been his gravitas style to 'hang on' for the sake of hanging on.

You are not a mind reader of his motives, nor his reason(s) for resigning. You know even less about his character as witness his life. So, no his resignation proves nothing beyond a testament to his character, which you only try to impugn with your ugly, baseless and uninformed opinions.

Mozilla is essentially his baby, along with a very few other of the founders. He was not about to harm it, through needless controversy.
How do you claim to know what his thoughts and motivations were, or anything about his character?

Once again, this is from the Mozilla website:
"Mozilla believes both in equality and freedom of speech. Equality is necessary for meaningful speech. And you need free speech to fight for equality. Figuring out how to stand for both at the same time can be hard.

Our organizational culture reflects diversity and inclusiveness. We welcome contributions from everyone regardless of age, culture, ethnicity, gender, gender-identity, language, race, sexual orientation, geographical location and religious views. Mozilla supports equality for all.

We have employees with a wide diversity of views. Our culture of openness extends to encouraging staff and community to share their beliefs and opinions in public. This is meant to distinguish Mozilla from most organizations and hold us to a higher standard."
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/03/brendan-eich-steps-down-as-mozilla-ceo/

This is also from the Mozilla website from the Chairperson of the Mozilla Foundation:
"Over the past few days we have been asked a number of questions about Brendan Eich’s appointment as CEO. This post is to clarify Mozilla’s official support of equality and inclusion for LGBT people.

Mozilla’s mission is to make the Web more open so that humanity is stronger, more inclusive and more just. This is why BOTH Mozilla Corporation and Mozilla Foundation support equality for all, including marriage equality for LGBT couples. No matter who you are or who you love, everyone deserves the same rights and to be treated equally."
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/0...lgbt-equality/

A CEO represents a company. A CEO is the public face of the company. A CEO is usually the person who makes statements about a company's values.

Why couldn't Eich himself, as CEO of Mozilla, just make a simple statement that Mozilla, as a company, believes in marriage equality for LGBT couples like the Mozilla Foundation Chairperson did? Instead, he chose to resign. How could he be an effective CEO if he couldn't handle a PR problem like this?

Old 04-12-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Yes, it is making these things up.
No. This is not made up.

Once again, this is from the Mozilla website:

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/03/brendan-eich-steps-down-as-mozilla-ceo/

This is also from the Mozilla website from the Chairperson of the Mozilla Foundation:
"Over the past few days we have been asked a number of questions about Brendan Eich’s appointment as CEO. This post is to clarify Mozilla’s official support of equality and inclusion for LGBT people.

Mozilla’s mission is to make the Web more open so that humanity is stronger, more inclusive and more just. This is why BOTH Mozilla Corporation and Mozilla Foundation support equality for all, including marriage equality for LGBT couples. No matter who you are or who you love, everyone deserves the same rights and to be treated equally."
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/0...lgbt-equality/

Old 04-12-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
No, it was what you posted and was discussing. Anyone who reads the thread can clearly see how the conversation went.

Now, I'd elaborate, but the last time I wrote the transcript of the conversation, a moderator deleted it. (Of course, I'm going to wait and see if they do the same to your post, since you did the same thing.)

Old 04-12-2014, 05:54 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,479 times
Quote:
I did address what you actually posted: that Mozilla's demonstration of their value of diversity and tolerance is exhibited in "open source."

Old 04-12-2014, 06:05 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I did not vote for Obama either time, so please explain how my vote or support was bought? I voted Gary Johnson in the last election.
A vote for Johnson was a vote for Obama because it was not a vote for Romney.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:08 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
A vote for Johnson was a vote for Obama because it was not a vote for Romney.
And I would have NEVER voted for Romney. I vote for the candidate that best aligns with my views, not the lesser of two evils.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:21 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And I would have NEVER voted for Romney. I vote for the candidate that best aligns with my views, not the lesser of two evils.
Harrier is just saying that a vote that did not go to Romney was a vote for Obama.

The Republicans who sat at home rather than vote, cast votes for Obama also.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:23 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier is just saying that a vote that did not go to Romney was a vote for Obama.

The Republicans who sat at home rather than vote, cast votes for Obama also.
Nope. If we want better candidates, we have to vote for better candidates. You can waste your vote how ever you want, but I will continue to vote for candidates the fit my views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies