Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:12 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,403,274 times

Advertisements

Using deadly force against intruders is OK by me. If you break into my home, I am shooting you center mass at point blank range with my 12ga.

Executing subdued intruders is murder. A worse crime than the intruders were ostensibly there to commit.

The way some people on here look at it, once a person is illegaly in your house, you can do -whatever- you want to them. Execute them, torture them, rape them, enslave them...

Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 AM

47,020 posts, read 26,085,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I agree with this. Once you're faced with a situation like this, you don't have time to think about all the laws that favor criminals who break and enter into your home. Your one goal is to protect yourself and your family.
Anytime you act without thinking of the laws governing the situation, you run the risk of going to jail. If there's deadly force involved, you risk going to jail for a long time. Anyone who'd drag a wounded teenage girl over to the body of her dead accomplice, then kill her? Lock him up. I don't give a sh.t who holds the deed to the house where it took place.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,391,054 times
You have the right to protect yourself in the US of A. They want to take that away from you.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,391,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Anytime you act without thinking of the laws governing the situation, you run the risk of going to jail. If there's deadly force involved, you risk going to jail for a long time. Anyone who'd drag a wounded teenage girl over to the body of her dead accomplice, then kill her? Lock him up. I don't give a sh.t who holds the deed to the house where it took place.
The flip side of this is if you shoot someone in your house in defense of your house and they don't die then you are liable for the damage. Killing them eliminates the liability.

What if it was your house and they were there to take something very dear from you? And they had been there several times before.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,262,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
The flip side of this is if you shoot someone in your house in defense of your house and they don't die then you are liable for the damage. Killing them eliminates the liability.

What if it was your house and they were there to take something very dear from you? And they had been there several times before.
The Castle Doctrine will keep you from being sued.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,680,188 times
Quote:
You have the right to protect yourself in the US of A. They want to take that away from you.
What do you think this guy needed to do to protect himself from two kids immobilized and bleeding out after they fell down the cellar stairs?

Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
The flip side of this is if you shoot someone in your house in defense of your house and they don't die then you are liable for the damage.
Not at all. If I'm justified in using lethal force, I'm liable for nothing.

Quote:
Killing them eliminates the liability.
Dear Lord, I hope you're not armed. This has to be one of the most chilling statements ever on this board. If this how "the good guy with a gun" thinks, I'd say we're better off without.

Quote:
What if it was your house and they were there to take something very dear from you?
No possession of mine is worth a human life. Talk to those who have taken lives. Unless you're pathologically bereft of empathy, the human mind will punish you for the act of killing. Those aren't fun nightmares.

If someone comes to kill or use violence against me and my family, different matter. My stuff? Pshaw.

Quote:
And they had been there several times before.
Yeah, that changes matters. It's the second break-in that merits an extrajudicial execution.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:29 AM

702 posts, read 727,849 times
It seems this gentleman and a lot of other people are almost wishing this would happen so they would have free reign to execute someone after they were already shot and laying on the ground. It is pretty disturbing. Would make a great story to tell the grandkids though about the time you shot a woman, dragged her across the basement and shot her in the head just to make sure she was completely dead. Make sure to bake cookies and milk for that one.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Dragging a bleeding teenager across the floor before taking her life hardly counts as "protecting yourself".

Old 04-15-2014, 11:34 AM

24,449 posts, read 23,124,128 times
The jurors will probably either declare a mistrial, they'll have a hard time reaching a unanimous consensus either way.
Adrenaline takes over and fight or flight response takes over. You break into a persons home or business or try to rob them and you are taking your life in your hands, people have to understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.