Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 03:10 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
This man will get off...and if not..He is old he best years are behind him.

Let this be a lesson never use a .22LR as a home defense weapon... A 9x19mm pistol is a min caliber..

A .38 revolver, is fail-safe and the perfect home defense weapon.
Every automatic I have owned(Hi-Standard, Ruger, and a Colt), jammed at one time or another.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:28 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
For those not aware the reason he is being charged with premediated murder is he did the following.

1. He set a cell phone jamming system in place. So no one could call for help on the property unless they used his landline phone..

2. He put out tarps so the blood wouldn't get on his precious carpets. He then moved the bodies to the basement where he killed them as they lay bleeding on the tarps.

3. He had his car parked 3 blocks away and took a route where he wouldn't be seen going to it and back and had the lights turned off in his home.

4. He had food and other supplies in his basement where he was waiting.

5. He didn't call for help but instead had a neighbor do it a day later.

6. He lied about what happened including what he said and what the two thieves said. His home security captured the audio including the screams of the teenage girl which was played for the jury.
1. yeah that looks pretty damn bad. REALLY bad.

2.Also incredibly damning.

3. I knew about the car being parked, didn't know he took a odd route,. Shows serious premeditation

4. Hmmm that part doesn't bother me. Ambushing intruders is ok in my book-but according to MN law it indicates he was a willing participant.

5. yeah I knew that part-claim of shock is not unreasonable.

6. didn't know he had lied about what happened, could argue shock.

Bottom line is, hes going to jail, and he should. not for shooting them, but for executing the second one. Although he might get it for both since theres a certain clear premeditation.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:39 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,081,493 times
Quote:
More people are killed with .22 then 9mm. Lot so people have been shot with .45s and survived. It's not the caliber it's where it hits. .22s are in fact the prefered gun of hitmen because the rounds go into the brain case and bounce around and there is no exit wound. Plus the entry wound being small means you don't got much blood being spilled hence cleanup and disposal of the body is a lot easier. Also the noise is a lot less.

People thinks it's a myth but using sub sonic .22s and 9mms with a silenced pistol does produce that hollywood sound that is like a bb gun being fired. This is because most ammo travels at supersonic speeds hence when fired the bullets break the sound barrier that is why you hear that crack noise when firing a gun off. Sub sonic rounds on the other hand travel below the speed of sound and hence do not produce the crack noise.

That is the largest source of sound besides the explosion of gas from the barrel and the sound of the gun hammer, trigger being pulled and the slide rocking back.
There's no such thing as a "silencer."

They're called "suppressors", and you watch way too many movies.

That sound you hear on your TV is simply an audio effect that both you & I can mimic right here with our own little mouths while we're typing away.

The gases emitted are pretty much the only thing that is controllable; a suppressor simply reduces recoil. Is the sound dampened a bit?

Of course.

That is why it's probably the number one varmint tool in one's box.

Don't ever get on here again and spew your fakeness, as I have worked for a major supplier of suppressors. We supplied the military (.50 cal mostly), for the reduction of recoil effects. This is so our fine men & women get off another quick round without taking time to reset.

For a small caliber firearm, the only real benefit of a suppressor is again.....reduction in recoil.

Very important....say....if you're using .22 cal hollow point magnum loads.

Anything else is overkill.

Don't mess with me. There's only a select few in this country that can even OWN a suppressor; and I'm one of them.

I say "select few", because I live in one of the few states that allow the civilian population to apply for one. And yes, one has to purchase a tax stamp from the U.S. government to even buy one.

Last edited by YAZ; 04-25-2014 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-25-2014, 03:41 PM

947 posts, read 1,463,917 times
I don't think I have read what he said to the neighbor. For all I know he could have been asking the neighbor for help in disposing of the bodies due to him being old/not thinking about that part of the plan and the neighbor called on the cops on him.

Shock doesn't tend to produce the other person saying stuff that never happened. What he said the girl said was straight out of a movie not real life. Hence why people were suspicious of the guy's story. The audio recording confirmed he was full of BS.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:43 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A .38 revolver, is fail-safe and the perfect home defense weapon.
Every automatic I have owned(Hi-Standard, Ruger, and a Colt), jammed at one time or another.
Yeah, revolvers are nice that way.

I dig the semis on the range though.

The cool thing about 6 shooters is that you have a good excuse to get another one.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:44 PM

702 posts, read 726,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

That sound you hear on your TV is simply an audio effect that both you & I can mimic right here with our own little mouths while we're typing away.

The gases emitted are pretty much the only thing that is controllable; a suppressor simply reduces recoil. Is the sound dampened a bit?

Of course.

Don't ever get on here again and spew your fakeness, as I have worked for a major supplier of suppressors. We supplied the military (.50 cal mostly), for the reduction of recoil effects. This is so our fine men & women get off another quick round without taking time to reset.

For a small caliber firearm, the only real benefit of a suppressor is again.....reduction in recoil.

Don't mess with me. There's only a select few in this country that can even OWN a suppressor; and I'm one of them.

I say "select few", because I live in one of the few states that allow the civilian population to apply for one. And yes, one has to purchase a tax stamp from the U.S. government to even buy one.
If I say 'clip' instead of 'magazine' does it raise your blood pressure?

Old 04-25-2014, 03:44 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:

Thats kind of cool, I've always wondered how much it can suppress the sound. I've known the movies were fake of course.

Bringing the round subsonic would help, from there I imagine if you built a weapon and ammo around the idea....just how quiet can you get?

Old 04-25-2014, 03:50 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
For those not aware the reason he is being charged with premediated murder is he did the following.

1. He set a cell phone jamming system in place. So no one could call for help on the property unless they used his landline phone..

2. He put out tarps so the blood wouldn't get on his precious carpets. He then moved the bodies to the basement where he killed them as they lay bleeding on the tarps.

3. He had his car parked 3 blocks away and took a route where he wouldn't be seen going to it and back and had the lights turned off in his home.

4. He had food and other supplies in his basement where he was waiting.

5. He didn't call for help but instead had a neighbor do it a day later.

6. He lied about what happened including what he said and what the two thieves said. His home security captured the audio including the screams of the teenage girl which was played for the jury.
Wow. If all that is true - it definitely sounds premeditated.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:51 PM

947 posts, read 1,463,917 times
Quote:

Of course.

Funny that the manufacturers of the suppressors state that rounds fired in 9mm and .22 in the subsonic variety can indeed be hollywood quiet. They actually tested this on mythbusters when they were testing hollywood sound effects and were shocked the silenced pistol sounded just like in the movies not only to their ears when firing it in the police range, but also on the audio recording equipment.

Few? 39 states is few? That is more then half.

FAQs

11) How does caliber affect suppressor choice? 10/22/2012
Certain calibers are much easier to effectively suppress than others. Any bullet traveling fast enough to break the sound barrier will cause a sonic crack and will not be “Hollywood quiet.” The speed of sound is roughly about 1050 feet per second at sea level. While the silencer will still slow and cool the gases prior to releasing them into the atmosphere and the overall sound signature of the combustion gases will still be reduced, the sonic crack of the round traveling through the air will produce a sound in the high 130dB range. Some of the most commonly available rounds that are just as quiet as the movies are .22LR, 9mm (147gr. subsonic), and the new 300 AAC Blackout (220gr. subsonic). If you are seeking the greatest overall sound reduction, stick with one of the above mentioned calibers and try not to walk away smiling.

Silencers

So you may want to about what suppressors can and cannot do when the companies that make them for military, police and civilian use contradict you.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:51 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
If I say 'clip' instead of 'magazine' does it raise your blood pressure?
No.

It just tells me that you don't know the difference between the hair on your head and the hair on your arse.

Type away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies