Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:38 PM

800 posts, read 509,974 times

Advertisements

People under stress usually don't think clearly. If you feel threatened I think its understandable to completely eliminate the threat, not just stop it temporarily. Its not so easy in the tension of the moment to stop and think about how legal each step is you're taking. Especially when some punks surprise you with a home invasion. If he killed them in the first shot the result would be the same.

The media picked the most innocent preppy looking pics of these kids to garner sympathy for them. The kids are no angels, they got what they deserved. Criminals should need to fear something such as armed homeowners, it might keep them from commiting the crime and paying the price.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:18 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,336,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
People under stress usually don't think clearly. If you feel threatened I think its understandable to completely eliminate the threat, not just stop it temporarily. Its not so easy in the tension of the moment to stop and think about how legal each step is you're taking. Especially when some punks surprise you with a home invasion. If he killed them in the first shot the result would be the same.

The media picked the most innocent preppy looking pics of these kids to garner sympathy for them. The kids are no angels, they got what they deserved. Criminals should need to fear something such as armed homeowners, it might keep them from commiting the crime and paying the price.
Yes, this is what made this no so clear cut. I've thought about this and in the end I do believe putting him away was probably the right call but it certainly wasn't as clear cut as "guilty".

People many times have a hard time handling have someone break into their home or business. We see business owners go to pretty extreme lengths to protect their property sometimes. Few would think a person guilty that when confronted with someone breaking into their store pulling out a gun from behind a counter and blasting them. Too many innocent store owners have been killed to not understand.

This was complicated because of his actions after stopping the threat. I have absolutely no problems with what he did up until he didn't just hold the gun on her and call 911. In the end the results likely would have been the same except he would be free.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 AM

25,873 posts, read 16,588,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
So you think someone should die for stealing a TV? A theft deserves the death penalty?
I think if a person uses a deadly weapon in the process of theft, yes they deserve the death penalty.

Intent is the same as deed to me.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,147,334 times
next step, meth heads will occupy his abandoned dumpy home while he rots in jail waiting to take a shiv in the back...good thinking you did their By-ron...

Old 05-03-2014, 07:34 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,459,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Avoidance of lawsuit = execution.
Execution = life sentence

Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 AM

13,310 posts, read 7,892,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Execution = life sentence
Lawyer with a briefcase can steal more than 10,000 armed men- Paraphrasing The Godfather.

Civilized crime.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 05-03-2014 at 12:08 PM..

Old 05-03-2014, 05:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
So you think someone should die for stealing a TV? A theft deserves the death penalty?
Yes. If you value your life so little that you would do a home invasion to steal someone's tv, it's up to you.

The problem with stealing someone's television is that it almost always involves breaking into their home, and usually being armed so that you can kill the home owner if he gets in your way.

If you want a television -- get yourself a job and buy yourself one --- stealing a television isn't like stealing a loaf of bread -- which of course no one needs to do because the government provides plenty of food. No one needs a television.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times
I'm so glad I live in Texas where I can shoot anyone on my property at night -- outside my house. I don't need to wait for them to break in and try to kill me.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:40 PM

947 posts, read 1,468,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm so glad I live in Texas where I can shoot anyone on my property at night -- outside my house. I don't need to wait for them to break in and try to kill me.
Yes people like a old man with Alzheimer's walking his dogs in a fugue state.

Like people who drove into your drive way by mistake due to a gps navigation system telling them to go there.

Like a door to door salesman.

Like a person walking door to door knocking on each door to get help since they were involved in an accident.

Like a teenager on Halloween night going door to door while dressed up.

Those are more likely to be found and killed by homeowners who state they want to kill people they perceive as being up to no go outside their house, then a felon trying to commit a robbery of said home.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:47 PM

32,161 posts, read 15,149,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Wow, what if someone knocked on your door in the middle of the night because they needed help. You would probably shoot them wouldn't you. Are you that scared of someone breaking in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.