Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:37 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times

Advertisements

According to this NY Times article, 56% of us will be in the top 10% at one time or another. There is a lot of motion between the 1% and the 99% as well.

Very interesting, and a blow to those who promote the idea of class struggle in America.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/20/op...t&emc=rss&_r=0

Now if only we could get those 56% to vote against the promoters of class envy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 03:47 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
There is no income inequality.

Just a made up issue for liberals to champion.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:51 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
According to this NY Times article, 56% of us will be in the top 10% at one time or another. There is a lot of motion between the 1% and the 99% as well.

Very interesting, and a blow to those who promote the idea of class struggle in America.

You have NO concept what the true classes are. Try the .1% Being in the top 10% is minor leagues for INCOME. oh wow...the 1% has froth....but what about when you go past that-you know...to REAL money.

The fact that you think that folks can sometimes hit the 10% for INCOME and feel thats relevant at all indicates you have no idea what the class distinctions are. To make the top 5% in personal income takes 100K/yr. Chump change....

And no the 1% isnt it either. Try the .1%

Go win the lottery....you know 100 million. Take it in cash, then pay taxes. Thats still chump change. You won't make the entry level for the top .1%...oh yeah you will make it for income.....but not wealth.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:02 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You have NO concept what the true classes are. Try the .1% Being in the top 10% is minor leagues for INCOME. oh wow...the 1% has froth....but what about when you go past that-you know...to REAL money.

The fact that you think that folks can sometimes hit the 10% for INCOME and feel thats relevant at all indicates you have no idea what the class distinctions are. To make the top 5% in personal income takes 100K/yr. Chump change....

Go win the lottery....you know 100 million. Take it in cash, then pay taxes. Thats still chump change. You won't make the entry level for the top .1%...oh yeah you will make it for income.....but not wealth.
Nice post, Class Warrior. Bill Gates has done far more for me economically than I will ever repay Microsoft if I live to be 100. You can keep feeding the green monster, but you'd be better off to improve your value to the rest of society.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:02 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,068,868 times
So? God Bless 'em. But, I think you mean to rail against the .0001%. Those are the devils, right?
Quote:

Old 04-21-2014, 04:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I never saw income has anyhting but what you earn by working.The rest is all unearned nicome and it attracts more and more ;sadly.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:05 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
There is no income inequality.

Just a made up issue for liberals to champion.
Yes, there is very real income inequality. And it's not the same as what we had here in the 1950s-1980s. It is due to globalization and off-shoring of previously well-paying manufacturing jobs, resulting in a structural employment deficit in this country that no amount of Democrat or Republican policy is able to reverse.

The problem with conservatives is that they are blind to this structural jobs deficit and think we still live in the 1950s.

The problem with liberals is that the only solution they offer is to redistribute money from the fewer rich to the poor.

What we need is for the blue collar jobs to come back to America. That is the only thing that will fix this problem.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:12 PM

OK folks. its not envy. Im in the top 5% for income. Its this:
Some FACTS:
the growth rate of Capital is higher then the growth rate of the country.
As year after year goes by that means large amounts of capital will become larger year after year.
This has been going on for several decades now.

Most of you have no concept of the kind of money we have, or the simple fact that as long as capital grows faster then our economy it will have more and more of the total wealth and income.

Blue collar jobs arent coming back, quit living in the 1950's. If they come back they will be at very low wages.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
OK folks. its not envy. Im in the top 5% for income. Its this:
Some FACTS:
the growth rate of Capital is higher then the growth rate of the country.
As year after year goes by that means large amounts of capital will become larger year after year.
This has been going on for several decades now.

Most of you have no concept of the kind of money we have, or the simple fact that as long as capital grows faster then our economy it will have more and more of the total wealth and income.

Blue collar jobs arent coming back, quit living in the 1950's. If they come back they will be at very low wages.
I'm willing to bet you worked hard to be in that top 5%..

Good job bro... If you can do it, most people can..

Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm willing to bet you worked hard to be in that top 5%..

Good job bro... If you can do it, most people can..
And I'd like to think most people can, but...to be honest there was a lot of luck for me-and hard work, and getting here cost a lot more then I thought it would. Marriages "you're always working" kids "you're gone overseas all the time". etc. Heck I was a nerd before that was good....made for a challenging high school.

I think most everyone that hits the 1% works hard. The guy owning a pizza place? Yup working hard. The guy running his own construction business? Same. after that it gets murkier. With inherited wealth becoming more common (6 of the top 10 in the us for wealth is inherited), and I suspect that numbers going to keep getting larger. Being lucky in the birth lottery matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies