Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times

Advertisements

What protocols? That when you walk into the door, a lady at a folding table with a big book in front of her, looks at your ID before you sign the book listing registered voters? That protocol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 09:31 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
For those of you interested, here is the Arkansas Consitution. The Justices referred to Article 3, section 1:

http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assemb...tution1874.pdf

For those too lazy:

1. Qualifications of electors

Except as otherwise provided by this Constitution, any person may vote in an election in this

state who is:

(1) A citizen of the United States;

(2) A resident of the State of Arkansas;

(3) At least eighteen (18) years of age; and

(4) Lawfully registered to vote in the election.

2. Right of suffrage.

Elections shall be free and equal. No power, civil or military, shall ever interfere to prevent the

free exercise of the right of suffrage; nor shall any law be enacted whereby such right shall be

impaired or forfeited, except for the commission of a felony, upon lawful conviction thereof.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:32 AM

Ah, here is the decision for us to read (I have not yet done so):

http://posting.arktimes.com/media/pd...id_opinion.pdf

Old 10-16-2014, 09:38 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
So... if am from Mars ...can I vote in ArKansas?

Old 10-16-2014, 10:35 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Is voter fraud a problem? Has it changed the outcome of any elections? We already make sure our election process isn't WIDE open to fraud. We investigate and prosecute voter fraud already. And it is miniscule in our election process. Moreover, the voter fraud that does happen would not be impacted by Voter ID at the polls. So why require it at the polls? Unless it isn't voter fraud that's the problem. In which case, which LEGAL voters are impacted by Voter ID laws? When you look at it from that angle, it's clear that the "problem" that the GOP wants to solve isn't voter fraud at all.
Your attitude is amazing.

Voter fraud isn't a problem because it's so miniscule that it doesn't affect elections.

But we have so many voters with no way to identify themselves in a society which requires identification to go to school or get a job or open a bank account that putting in Voter ID requirements shouldn't be in place.

Do have any concept of how utterly ridiculous you sound?

Old 10-16-2014, 10:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Your attitude is amazing.

Voter fraud isn't a problem because it's so miniscule that it doesn't affect elections.

But we have so many voters with no way to identify themselves in a society which requires identification to go to school or get a job or open a bank account that putting in Voter ID requirements shouldn't be in place.

Do have any concept of how utterly ridiculous you sound?
I sound reasonable.

I didn't say voter fraud isn't a problem. I didn't say voter fraud shouldn't be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I DO say that in practically EVERY instance where Voter ID proponents bring up voter fraud, that even those proponents admit that voter ID would not have prevented the fraud. If your solution doesn't address the problem, then it isn't a good solution. And every study shows that voter ID laws do disenfranchise some people. Frankly, I'm more concerned with disenfranchising people in a republic. That does more harm than a few instances of voter fraud which have never been shown to actually change the outcome of an election.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I sound reasonable.

I didn't say voter fraud isn't a problem. I didn't say voter fraud shouldn't be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I DO say that in practically EVERY instance where Voter ID proponents bring up voter fraud, that even those proponents admit that voter ID would not have prevented the fraud. If your solution doesn't address the problem, then it isn't a good solution. And every study shows that voter ID laws do disenfranchise some people. Frankly, I'm more concerned with disenfranchising people in a republic. That does more harm than a few instances of voter fraud which have never been shown to actually change the outcome of an election.
Good statement, DC.

We must recall that the 'Jim Crow" laws passed by the 'southern states'. were for the purpose of preventing 'minorities' from voting. Poll taxes, literacy laws, etc.

Little has changed. There are those whom are afraid of the 'rise' of minorities, believing that said minorities only vote for one party (Democratic). Hence, in Texas, Governor Perry and his creatures in the legislature have been busy gerrymandering and passing laws to 'protect the integrity of the vote'.

I happen to believe that the 'right to vote' is one of our more sacred rights, although it is not specifically spelled out in the Constitution.

There must be 'compelling' reasons to deny a person's right to vote. For instance, a few years ago, a WWII vet was denied his right to vote because he did not have his ID with him. He was registered, but had no ID with him. It was appalling (Google it).

The thought that 'illegals' are trying to vote is, to me, laughable. Those illegals I have known have no desire to vote: not only because they are not a citizen, but because it would, they think, put them 'above the radar' (i.e., they would be caught).

I realize that my statement of 'those illegals I have known' is anecdotal. Yet, that is my experience. Back in my youth I worked at an iron foundry, where most of the workers were 'illegals'. To this day, my yard is, apparently, mowed by 'illegals'. The people whom replaced my roof (two years ago) were probably 'illegal'. Yet, they earned their pay, and I doubt very much that they tried to vote (although I cannot say so for sure, of course).

Old 10-16-2014, 09:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

I happen to believe that the 'right to vote' is one of our more sacred rights, although it is not specifically spelled out in the Constitution.

Well, the 2nd amendment is very specifically spelled out. Yet, you wish I have some ID and jump through 3 hoops, while standing on my head... just to get my hands on a gun and get my rights back.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:43 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Irrelevant.

Voting is an unconditional citizen right. Voting can only be voided by a criminal who has been tried and convicted (due process).

The right of United States' citizens to vote is directly stated in four distinct Constitutional Amendments.

Driving, buying liquor, or going through airport security are not citizen rights. The difference is explicit.
Bearing arms is a right and yet governments CHARGE for permits to bear arms, that's clearly a violation of the peoples rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies