Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 06:55 PM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
[/indent]I guess this father was just a "foolish" and "paranoid" man, "scared" of his own shadow, right? I mean, yeah, he quite possibly saved his daughters life, but so what? There is simply no reason for anyone to carry a gun around with them in their daily life.
You're the one using terms like "paranoid" and "scared of his own shadow."

This doesn't persuade me at all that it's necessary or appropriate to tote a gun on your hip in daily life. Did the man try whacking the dog or otherwise running him off before opening fire? How close were the two little girls? The story makes it sound like one of them and the dog were immediately adjacent to each other. I'm not sure I'd fire into a tussle like that. And what about the second shot? Any consideration of ricochets in this asphalt parking lot? It also seems a little odd to me that a dog would get off his leash and then immediately run across the parking lot and start biting a child. Every time I've had a dog get off leash he just stood there like "What now?" Could be, I guess, but unusual.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,004,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Some people argue that first amendment right should be unconditional, which I agree. I don't like seeing people burn flag, but I have to deal with it.

How about second amendment right, should it be unconditional as well?
Yes; rights by definition are unconditional, otherwise they are merely privileges dispensed from on high which can be revoked at any moment. Such a doctrine is a violation of human liberty. I won't comment any further, except to note that the trend is moving in the right direction if you believe the laws should reflect unconditional Second Amendment rights. The culture wars appear to be ebbing in the direction of married gun-toting same-sex couples.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:08 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

This doesn't persuade me at all that it's necessary or appropriate to tote a gun on your hip in daily life. Did the man try whacking the dog or otherwise running him off before opening fire? How close were the two little girls? The story makes it sound like one of them and the dog were immediately adjacent to each other. I'm not sure I'd fire into a tussle like that. And what about the second shot? Any consideration of ricochets in this asphalt parking lot? It also seems a little odd to me that a dog would get off his leash and then immediately run across the parking lot and start biting a child. Every time I've had a dog get off leash he just stood there like "What now?" Could be, I guess, but unusual.
LOL the funny thing is that you are actually serious.... You would rather the man have a dead or badly injured child than carry a gun to protect himself and his kids.

I think we're done.

The story I posted invalidates your opinion in it's entirety. Any rational minded person would agree.

Have a pleasant evening.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:23 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
LOL the funny thing is that you are actually serious.... You would rather the man have a dead or badly injured child than carry a gun to protect himself and his kids.

I think we're done.

The story I posted invalidates your opinion in it's entirety. Any rational minded person would agree.

Have a pleasant evening.
Yeah, this world has really gone crazy when you think about it. Just because "toting your gun on your hip" doesn't make sense to somebody, we have to give up on our 2rd amendment right. Burning flag never makes sense to me, but people still have the constitutional right to burn the flag even though playing fire endangers the public.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
No need to resort to personal insults.

I've raised a number of kids (and dogs), and I know better than to shoot first. Especially in a shopping center parking lot with two unattended little children standing in the range of fire.

Interesting that the guy shot the dog in the hip - is that where you'd aim if you wanted to stop a dog? Then he came back and shot him again at the request of the lady who'd had the dog on the leash but it still didn't kill him. So he left him to bleed out.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yeah, this world has really gone crazy when you think about it. Just because "toting your gun on your hip" doesn't make sense to somebody, we have to give up on our 2rd amendment right. .
Why would you give up your second amendment right?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
The constitution refers exclusively to the Government, and sections of the government as specified within it's language.

For instance take a contract, if that contract is between me and Joe, and a payment schedule is made where payment is $200/month for the length of the contract; I cannot go to Bill I can't demand payment from that contract, even if the payment schedule never specifically calls out that Joe is the payer, and expect payment. The entire contract is solely between Joe and I. However should the contract be between Joe, Bill and I under the same circumstances I could go to Bill and demand payment, because he is contractually obliged to pay me. Similarly the Constitution is between the people, and their government, if Bill refuses me the right to bear arms on his property, that is between Bill and I, because the entire constitution is binding between me (being a single instance subset of the people) and the government.

Restrictions on private property cannot be used to determine whether a right is absolute or not, if a right is absolute, you may voluntarily curtail it, if you cannot curtail it, then it's not a right it's an obligation. When entering private property with a restriction on bearing arms, you are voluntarily curtailing your right to bear arms, it doesn't mean you don't have the right, it's that you're choosing to curtail that right temporarily to benefit from entering that property. If you do not wish to curtail that right, do not enter. Another example would be a nudist camp, they may place a restriction that all visitors are similarly attired (i.e. naked), in such an event it does not undermine that the right of freedom of expression (of your fashion sense or lack thereof) if this is similarly absolute.

Here's Gungnir's history lesson it's a little more recent...

DC vs. Heller June 26th 2008

Regardless of what you want to argue, that's the legal opinion of the SCOTUS.

Even grammatically, were the intent of the 2nd Amendment to apply to the militia only, then the right would not state

"the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

it would be restricted to a class subset of the people, i.e. the militia, or militiamen, or similar. Since Madison studied law, had the intention been to tailor the second amendment to only the militia, it would have been so tailored by it's language.
Truly, the debate over gun ownership in America is really a debate over who gets to call the shots and control the game. In other words, it’s that same tug-of-war that keeps getting played out in every confrontation between the government and the citizenry over who gets to be the master and who is relegated to the part of the servant.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Yes; rights by definition are unconditional, otherwise they are merely privileges dispensed from on high which can be revoked at any moment. Such a doctrine is a violation of human liberty. I won't comment any further, except to note that the trend is moving in the right direction if you believe the laws should reflect unconditional Second Amendment rights. The culture wars appear to be ebbing in the direction of married gun-toting same-sex couples.
Nobody said first and second amendment right should be 100% unconditional

For ONE last time. This thread is about

"Double standard when it comes to freedom of speech & gun right, 1st and 2rd amendment right"

Burning American flag or any flag endangers the public, yet it is protected by first amendment right,

Carrying UNLOADED gun in public endangers NO ONE, yet in California, it is considered illegal.

If this is not double standard, i don't know what it is.

We Californians simply cannot carry guns in public (even unloaded gun), why is it? I don't know.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:36 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I think there should be reasonible restrictions on both. You can't threaten to kill some one even though speech is free. I don't think people should have any firearm they wish if they see shapeshifting lizard people that aren't there, or are violent felons. The laws are on the books, but are not enforced.

What gets me is any time someone speaks about any restriction on gun purchases gun nuts like to start shrieking about Nazi's or that not letting unmedicated schizophrenics have any weapon they want (like Jared Lee loughner) somehow bans all weapons for everyone. So in pure volume and vitriol the discussion can never even take place. That discussions of that one subject are not free.

Usually it's people who wouldn't have guns if unmedicated mentally ill folks were restricted...like Alex Jones.
You can't impose restrictions on the 99.99999% of safe, honest, legal gun owners in the name of safety.

No one wants wackos to have access to weapons, whether it be a nut with a gun, a knife or a crazy lady driving her kids into a river. Sometimes in a free society bad stuff happens.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:41 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Really?

Just because YOUR dogs were trained well doesn't mean that all dogs are.....not by a long shot.

There are many, many stories about kids and full grown adults being mauled by dogs.

If a dog attacks me or mine, it will get shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies