Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to carry an unloaded gun around in public?

I think that may actually put you in more danger of being in a situation you don't want to be in.
I don't carry anything anymore LOL

I was just using California's stupid gun law as an example to show people just how silly the situation really is. haha I agree with your post though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 05:51 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
It has NOTHING to do with being "scared" or "paranoid" and everything to do with being prepared and accepting the reality that $#&* happens. There is no difference between being prepared for the scenerios I listed above and carrying a gun just in case the remote possibility of having to defend yourself becomes a reality. The only difference resides in your mind. If you want to pretend that beatings, rapes, muggings etc never happen, that's your fantasy. If you think the odds of it happening to you are so remote that you are comfortable not having a means to defend yourself at all times, that's your choice, but don't try and make someone else accept your choice. There are hundreds if not thousands of cases where carrying a gun saved someones life and had they not had it, they or others may not have been so lucky.
I see. You're not worried about anything at all, you're only carrying a gun just in case.

It's the other 99.9% of the men, women and children who go about their affairs without ever carrying a gun who are really afraid.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:23 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Can anyone come up with anything besides, "yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater" as their example? Surely if there many restrictions, we can show more than one.
Try running through your local zoo yelling "a tiger has escaped".

Old 04-26-2014, 02:42 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I see. You're not worried about anything at all, you're only carrying a gun just in case.
I know this is your poor attempt at being sarcastic, but you actually hit the nail right on the head. I don't go peeking around every corner thinking I'm about to be attacked, but I accept the reality that there are bad people in the world who do bad things to people every day. Just watch your late local news if you want proof of that. Better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it. No different than when I put a 9-volt in my alarm clock in case the electric goes out through the night.
In fact, if there truly are people who walk around constantly paranoid that their about to be attacked, I would seriously question whether or not they should be carrying a gun.

What is truly ironic is the fact that you are calling me scared and paranoid when you are just as scared and paranoid of people carrying guns. What are you so afraid of? Maybe you should look at the statistics of how many people who legally carry have been involved in crime. It's a very low number.... Don't quote me, but I think it's something like 3%, maybe lower yet. So, what are you so afraid of?
Quote:
It's the other 99.9% of the men, women and children who go about their affairs without ever carrying a gun who are really afraid.
I think you need to check the batteries in your watch calculator because once again, your figure is off.

There are 300,000,000 people in this country... Out of those, 8,000,000 have carry permits and that isn't counting those who can legally carry without a permit.

This means that at the minimum, 2.7% of people are known to legally be in possesion of a valid carry permit. If they have the carry permit, I assume they see a valid reason or need to carry a gun. Still not a lot, but more than the .01% you keep espousing.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:54 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
In case you haven't figured it out already, arjay57 is a troll. Someone who doesn't even believe what he says himself, but who simply puts up argumentative posts in hopes of attracting notice and getting someone to pay attention to him.

I suggest you ignore him, and eventually he'll go away.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:34 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Try running through your local zoo yelling "a tiger has escaped".
I am soooo trying this...

Old 04-26-2014, 03:44 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,287,006 times
No right is absolute. As many have already said, you can't shout "Fire" in a crowded theatre. I don't understand why people think that the Second Amendment is absolute. I am not anti-gun. (I love venison. ) But, I am for gun CONTROL! I think the gun laws in this country are totally absurd. Why does anyone NEED firearms that are used in combat? Why does anyone need ammo clips that shoot 100 rounds a minute? I think that the people who gun down others seem to have more rights than their victims.

I believe we (as a nation) can find a balance between legal gun ownership & the loonies who shouldn't have firearms. But, Washington won't do that because they are in the NRA's back pocket. But, I think the NRA's influence is waning. I have heard from many people who are NRA members who totally disagree with Wayne LaPeirre. Several of them are even giving up their memberships.

Cat

Old 04-26-2014, 03:57 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times
Quote:
I guess we're pretending muggings, robberies, beatings, and rapes do not occur on a daily basis in this country. Statistically, the odds of it happening to any one person are very low, but I'd imagine that is very little consolation to the people it does happen to. They do happen daily to someone though, and you could be that someone, so it makes sense to have a means of protection.

The last statistic I heard was that there are 8 million concealed carry permit holders in this country and that isn't counting people who carry in states that let you carry without a permit, either concealed or open. I'm not that good at math so I don't know what percentage that is out of 300,000,000 but I imagine it's more than 0.01 percent. I'll let you do the math.
And yet leftist call themselves "compassionate' the audacity.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
I am soooo trying this...
Since they allow prisoners to have internet access now, you should have no problem logging on and telling us how it went....

Old 04-26-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
And yet leftist call themselves "compassionate' the audacity.
It baffles me how someone finds it more moral that a woman be raped, than having to explain to the cops why she just shot her attacker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies