Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 02:52 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Uh, it's not paranoia to wonder what's up with some yahoo walking around the grocery store or the playground sporting a gun on his hip. What danger does said person think he needs to be armed against? Flying tomatoes? An errant frisbee?

99.9999% of the population isn't so fearful that they deem it necessary to carry and prominently display weapons of deadly force during the routine situations of daily life.

Again, having the right to do something by no means makes it sensible or advisable.
Again, you might want to refrain from thinking that the world resolves around you. You are a gun owner right? I think you should give up on your gun right simply because I think hunting is silly. (How does it make you feel?)

Worries and anxiety still don't give you any right to take away somebody's constitutional right. But you won, in my state, people carry unloaded gun is now illegal. So I don't know what you are really arguing or worrying about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 02:55 PM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yeah, the only point I was trying to make is that 2rd amendment right is subject to change. (I am fine with that) But I wonder what do we expect next? Punishing somebody for carrying an unloaded gun in public is just strange to say the least.
If it's readily apparent that the gun is unloaded and is being carried for some purpose such as transporting it to the range or taking it in for repairs, that's one thing.

But walking around sporting a pistol on your hip (that nobody can tell whether it's loaded) is purely provocative in nearly all situations.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:57 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There are restrictions to the first amendment, go into a crowded theater and yell "FIRE!" And you will see how quickly your freedom of speech is restricted when the police arrest you for that act.
The comparable anology for the draconian restrictions on gun rights would be to cut your tongue out before allowing you in the theater, so you can't possibly yell fire. To simply say you can't yell fire is comparable to saying you're not allowed to shoot people (without some overriding probable cause/self defense), not to ban possession of a gun.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:59 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
If it's readily apparent that the gun is unloaded and is being carried for some purpose such as transporting it to the range or taking it in for repairs, that's one thing.

But walking around sporting a pistol on your hip (that nobody can tell whether it's loaded) is purely provocative in nearly all situations.
The Westboro Baptist Church is extremely provocative with their free speech. I don't agree with any of it but I will fight for their right to say what they want.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:00 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Sigh...okay, well, again, I wanted to draw out slowly but you went right for the kill.

One thing I've noticed is that unless you MAKE a liberal think about something, they won't get it...that's why I've tried, a time or two, to draw their answers from them one at a time.

Start with the first step: Come up with something besides yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater.

The second step is to show them HOW that is completely inapplicable, very slowly, very, very, very slowly, baby steps at a time...using their own words. Dang it all, would you all just let me do it one time? Just once?
Oh, just stop with this BS already. You know what DOES show a lack of logical/critical thinking? Making statements like "liberals can't think," when around half of the nation (thus MILLIONS of people) identify as liberal. I guess all those brilliant engineers, programmers, entrepreneurs, etc, I meet here in Silicon Valley are raging conservatives? Oh wait.

Here, I'll answer your darned question and give you more examples:

- Defaming the character of another person, especially if it causes measurable consequences (i.e. a teacher gets fired when someone falsely accuses them of sexual misconduct).
- Threatening harm upon someone
- Saying anything that interferes with law enforcement or rescue personnel
- Prank-calling or abusing the 911 service
- Making false terrorist or bomb threats

Is that enough, or should I keep going? And for the record, this liberal(ish) fully supports BOTH the first and second amendment - with some restrictions, but mostly limited to things like the above, age restrictions on gun purchases, and not allowing the severely disturbed or violent felons to own guns. Reasonable, I think, and doubt there are ANY rights in this world that are 100% free of regulation.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-25-2014 at 03:27 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
The Westboro Baptist Church is extremely provocative with their free speech. I don't agree with any of it but I will fight for their right to say what they want.
They are a bunch of buffoons but their words won't kill anybody, at least not in the direct and immediate way that a bullet will.

If they were sporting pistols on their hips while yelling out all this insane crap I'd be a little more concerned.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:07 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:

No, that is not ONE THING. in my state, carrying an unloaded gun in public is ILLEGAL, period. This is whole point!!! You are calling that 2rd amendment right?

Old 04-25-2014, 03:15 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
They are a bunch of buffoons but their words won't kill anybody, at least not in the direct and immediate way that a bullet will.

If they were sporting pistols on their hips while yelling out all this insane crap I'd be a little more concerned.

No, you would be very polite and understanding.
If it came off his hip, you would be running.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Again, you might want to refrain from thinking that the world resolves around you. You are a gun owner right? I think you should give up on your gun right simply because I think hunting is silly. (How does it make you feel?)

Worries and anxiety still don't give you any right to take away somebody's constitutional right. But you won, in my state, people carry unloaded gun is now illegal. So I don't know what you are really arguing or worrying about.
What on earth are you talking about? I don't have any interest in taking away guns.

I'm simply pointing out that it's absurd and provocative to walk around in normal daily life with a pistol on your hip. Of course nobody knows whether it's loaded or not -- if I see someone sporting a pistol on their I assume it's loaded. If it's not, why would they be carrying it?

In my case, the weapons are secured in my home and place of business. The general public is not exposed to them.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
No, that is not ONE THING. in my state, carrying an unloaded gun in public is ILLEGAL, period. This is whole point!!! You are calling that 2rd amendment right?
Well, if you can't take your gun to the range then I agree with you. That is dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies