Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 02:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution protects the right of individuals[1][2] to keep and bear arms.[3][4][5][6] The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that the right vests in individuals, not merely collective militias, while also ruling that the right is not unlimited and does not prohibit all regulation of either firearms or similar devices"

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10 states with the strictest gun laws.

10 states with the strictest gun laws | Deseret News

One poster posted on another website

"Amazing the number of rules and requirements a state governments can put on a constitutional right. Let them try that with the 1st Amendment and see what happens."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get this.... The 2nd amendment was a right, until the Civil war told the federal government what could happen anytime they stepped upon the constitution and states right and power.

Open carry of guns were then forbidden in many towns.

After prohibition, the federal government once again saw what free people with firepower as great as their was prohibiting their power to enforce laws, with the beginning of the FBI and the Police state.
All the sudden, no amendment, but a law that is unconstitutional, that says I cannot own the same weapons that the government have, without asking the very government for the privilege.

You see, we had just fought a costly and bloody battle against a government of tyranny and authoritarianism. The idea of giving up arms to the governments say so, was not in the equation at all. Far from it and the words saying WILL NOT BE INFRINGED, were specifically chosen to define the chains on the federal government. Meaning, you take and abuse my rights, you may, or may not get shot, cut deep, clubbed, or popped in the nose.

The supreme court is wrong. They have totally missed the intent of the times at which it was composed and the shall not be infringed part. To that, I kiss my BAR and my Thompson.
Come & Take It!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 02:27 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Give me a break. I'm a lifelong gun owner and hunter but toting a gun around in public is silly.
Give ME a break. Just because it is silly in your mind and in your mind ONLY, you are going to make it illegal?

What if government tells you one day that you shouldn't be owning a gun simply because owning gun for hunting purpose is silly. What are you going to feel? We are living in a free country, aren't we?

Why does carrying unloaded gun in public bother you so much?

Old 04-25-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, it does. See my post below.

Having the right to do something doesn't make doing it sensible. What is the point in walking around sporting a pistol (loaded or unloaded) on your hip when nobody else is doing so?
I read your post (above) You still haven't answered my question except for It is silly. I was talking UNLOADED GUN here.

Let me know why carrying an unloaded gun in public can potentially be dangerous to somebody. "Oh, it is silly." is not a good reason to put somebody in country jail for a damn year. I don't see you get all upset when somebody burn American flag in public.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:33 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
Quote:
Sporting a gun in normal public life is obviously provocative, and intended to be so. What's the purpose other than to say "I could shoot somebody if I wanted to"?

Why is it my business?

Because I don't want the lives of me or my family of my friends subjected to the whims some stranger I've never met, about whom I know nothing, who may have no training whatsoever and who may or may not be unbalanced. The very fact that he deems it necessary to publicly display a deadly weapon in normal social discourse tells me right off the bat that he's got issues that 99.99999% of the rest of us don't have.

What's this person thinking? That he alone is about to be singled out for mugging at the Little League field or the mall, and that he'll suddenly drop down and defend himself Chuck Norris style?

Give me a break. I'm a lifelong gun owner and hunter but toting a gun around in public is silly.
So, your paranoia is the reason she must give up her rights?

That's about the answer I expected.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
I found this video on youtube Hopefully you can watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK31i0QbMnA

so basically, if we carry an unloaded gun in public, we can be put in county jail up to 1 year.
Thanks for the link. Why this phone is happy with some links and not with others is an unsolved mystery.

So I get that carrying an unloaded weapon is now an offense, but I still have no reason why. The video says that the Guv acted on the behest of the police chiefs, but did not say what the reasoning was.

Having worked for a legislature, I can assure you that they have more on their plates than they can handle. And very seldom do they waste their time on things that no one cares about. So my first question about every law is "what issue were they trying to address?" Now there have been lots of counterproductive and downright stupid legislative actions, and there are at least some LEOs who look for any excuse at all to lord it over the rest of us. Just because someone has an issue and is able to persuade a legislative body to take action doesn't mean that the result is a good one.

But still, I think everyone involved in public life is sensitive to 2nd amendment issues, so it's hard to believe that this repeal was done thoughtlessly. I will look into this when I am at my computer, thanks for bringing it up. Do you know if anyone has appealed it yet?

Old 04-25-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Because I don't want the lives of me or my family of my friends subjected to the whims some stranger I've never met, about whom I know nothing, who may have no training whatsoever and who may or may not be unbalanced. .
Fair enough.

Quote:
I'm a lifelong gun owner
According to your logic, you should give up on your gun because I don't trust you. I don't want the lives of ME or MY family or MY friends subjected to the whims some strangers (e.g. YOU) I've never met, about whom I know nothing, who may have no training (lifelong gun ownership is not training by the way) whatsoever and who may or may not be unbalanced.

By the way, I still don't see the connection between UNLOADED GUN and public safely concern. Care to enlighten me?

Old 04-25-2014, 02:44 PM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So, your paranoia is the reason she must give up her rights?

That's about the answer I expected.
Uh, it's not paranoia to wonder what's up with some yahoo walking around the grocery store or the playground sporting a gun on his hip. What danger does said person think he needs to be armed against? Flying tomatoes? An errant frisbee?

99.9999% of the population isn't so fearful that they deem it necessary to carry and prominently display weapons of deadly force during the routine situations of daily life.

Again, having the right to do something by no means makes it sensible or advisable.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

So I get that carrying an unloaded weapon is now an offense, but I still have no reason why. The video says that the Guv acted on the behest of the police chiefs, but did not say what the reasoning was.

Having worked for a legislature, I can assure you that they have more on their plates than they can handle. And very seldom do they waste their time on things that no one cares about. So my first question about every law is "what issue were they trying to address?" Now there have been lots of counterproductive and downright stupid legislative actions, and there are at least some LEOs who look for any excuse at all to lord it over the rest of us. Just because someone has an issue and is able to persuade a legislative body to take action doesn't mean that the result is a good one.

But still, I think everyone involved in public life is sensitive to 2nd amendment issues, so it's hard to believe that this repeal was done thoughtlessly. I will look into this when I am at my computer, thanks for bringing it up. Do you know if anyone has appealed it yet?
Yeah, the only point I was trying to make is that 2rd amendment right is subject to change. (I am fine with that) But I wonder what do we expect next? Punishing somebody for carrying an unloaded gun in public is just strange to say the least.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:51 PM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
According to your logic, you should give up on your gun because I don't trust you. I don't want the lives of ME or MY family or MY friends subjected to the whims some strangers (e.g. YOU) I've never met, about whom I know nothing, who may have no training (lifelong gun ownership is not training by the way) whatsoever and who may or may not be unbalanced.
You won't be exposed to my firearms unless you surreptitiously enter my home or business and me and my dogs catch you. In that event, you would have some 'splaining to do.

But I don't walk around in normal daily life sporting a pistol. That would be ridiculous.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:52 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Sporting a gun in normal public life is obviously provocative, and intended to be so. What's the purpose other than to say "I could shoot somebody if I wanted to"?

Why is it my business?

Because I don't want the lives of me or my family of my friends subjected to the whims some stranger I've never met, about whom I know nothing, who may have no training whatsoever and who may or may not be unbalanced. The very fact that he deems it necessary to publicly display a deadly weapon in normal social discourse tells me right off the bat that he's got issues that 99.99999% of the rest of us don't have.

What's this person thinking? That he alone is about to be singled out for mugging at the Little League field or the mall, and that he'll suddenly drop down and defend himself Chuck Norris style?

If you think that your life or the lives of your family are 100% safe when you can't see a gun then you are sadly mistaken. You don't have any idea who will snap when or where. If I could predict the future, then I wouldn't carry everywhere I went.

It's your reason that I do carry. I don't want myself, my family or friends I am with to be subject to random violence. If I see an issue, I will avoid it. If I can't avoid it, I will do everything in my power to deescalate it. If that doesn't work or is spontaneous, then I will do my best to stop it. If I don't I live through it at least my family knows I did everything in my power to keep them safe.

Perfect examples of why I carry. These people were getting home from work, doing yard work and just sitting on the porch minding their own business when a threat surprised them. And this is a nice area of town. 3 arrested after series of armed robberies in Lakeview-Gentilly area | wwltv.com New Orleans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies