Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 AM

28,921 posts, read 30,284,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
residinghere FWIW, I heard on a radio program that Sterling was the one who recorded the call, that he recorded all of his phone conversations.

I also find it odd that you are willing to make excuses for this man. Really shows your own biases, especially the bolded portions.
what I'm biased about is, what is fair is fair and should apply to everyone and once again...ya just can't always have it your way, people are never going to live up to your expectaions.

Once again, I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall in the homes of all those NBA players, that night after they heard the tape? Wonder what kind words they said about him?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The best advice is to just follow Thumper's Law:

"If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all" - YouTube
oh, and I'm sure you have lived up to that religiously every second of your life.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:20 AM

183 posts, read 322,966 times
I wanna know why they couldn't send this guy to "rehab" like everybody else on the left coast caught doing or saying something considered non PC, especially since they are usually given six or seven chances at so called "rehab"?

Old 04-30-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redford dude View Post
I wanna know why they couldn't send this guy to "rehab" like everybody else on the left coast caught doing or saying something considered non PC, especially since they are usually given six or seven chances at so called "rehab"?
LOL....

sorry don't mean to laugh, but they are really failing to see the bigger picture here....

Old 04-30-2014, 08:22 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Again, proof that the PC movement has/is gutting the First Amendment.
Freedom of Speech is a dying right.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The NBA is a private organization, they can choose to ban or not, they can choose to fine or not... but I do not think "forcing" someone to sell their property should be their decision to make...
And I don't think they can force him to sell. The other owners, who all have an interest in the profitability of the NBA, CAN force him out.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:24 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Charles Barkley has been fined and suspended a number of times throughout his career. Not sure what the issue is, does this somehow make what Sterling said okay?

Oh, and Barkley was spot on with the Blazers comment, at the time they were known as the Jail Blazers for a reason, thankfully that version of the team is basically all gone.
He was spot on on all of his comments. I like him, it's America, I also like freedom of speech and
respect other people's views. I like true diversity, where you can speak your mind without fear.
The world changes rapidly, situations and public opinions change so quickly, and being bound by
statements for life over a five or ten second off hand remark is scary for me. I am 62 years old,
said (and done) many dumb things throughout my life and think something I may say in a private
moment can make someone else judge me for saying something 50 years ago is very unsettling.

My point is not about racism, it's about freedom. Show me someone who's never said something
dumb, rude, or even downright mean, and I'll kiss your hat.

Actions are a hundred times more important than words.

LA Clippers owner tells girlfriend not to bring African-Americans to "my games"-flip-flop-flippity-flop-obama-politics

Old 04-30-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, I disagree.....

rules also entail freedom of speech....you can make any rule up you want....even the NBA, however, you would hope that everyone acts like little ladies and gentleman, in a perfect world, however, not everyone is a lady or gentleman and this isn't a perfect world...so, some people will never live up to your expectations, but things are changing....however, there will always be racism no matter if this is 2014 or 2030....and as long as you try and force people, it ain't gonna happen and BTW, that woman who taped all this, is evil.....pure evil....to do something like that, that was premeditated, regardless of what has happened here, she is just as much to blame if not more then him....

and he has every right to say what he thinks in his own home....

I don't agree with him and never will, however, that is HIS right....

Freedom of speech protects you from action BY THE GOVERNMENT. It has nothing to do with a *private* organization enforcing whatever morality clauses they have in their Constitution.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redford dude View Post
Well, the news is out everybody: You should now tape record everything you see or hear and that means every player, GM, owner, staff, whatever, and if you can catch them saying anything possibly off putting after a few drinks at the bar then TMZ will pay you mucho $$$$ and then they will be banned for life from whatever league, am I right?

Remember, what's good for the goose ...
Sounds good to me.

If you don't want to face the consequences of saying racist stuff, don't say racist stuff. And if you must, yell it into a pillow. Really not that hard.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:27 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
And I don't think they can force him to sell. The other owners, who all have an interest in the profitability of the NBA, CAN force him out.
How do you force him out without forcing him to sell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies