Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 06:56 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,284,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Jareb I have to agree with you on this. The NBA rules of conduct were violated and the most severe penalties that were available to Silver were imposed on the offender.....so NBA justice was served. You concur?
How were they violated, the girl bated Sterling and made a tape of what was supposed to be a privet conversation? If he had known he was being taped he wouldn't have said that? So, how is the NBA justified....I don't believe they were, and cannot believe not many are able to see the larger picture here?

Quote:
I believe that the code of conduct applies to all who are involved with the NBA...owners, coaches, players.
Even so, you cannot control what people are saying or thinking in their own home and Sterling thought he was having a privet conversation....the girl was angry with him and set him up.

Quote:
I think people will be watching carefully now to see if there are offenses by others in the league, i.e. players and if they are meted out the same severe penalties. We all know things are said in the privacy of our homes that are not meant to be shared with the public. Sterling got caught and suffered the consequences. Lets see, in the future; if any others are called out for equally offensive language, private or public and banned for life. It should be an interesting study in just how racism is viewed in the NBA and America.
I disagree....most if not all blacks at one time or another have said things about whites, either in a joking matter or in a manner of frustration....what has this accomplished, you may be able to control people's mouths but not their thoughts and the more you do something like this, the more resentful people become. Change doesn't come b/c you think it should, change comes b/c people volentarily want to....

Quote:
Many are expressing if this were a NBA black owner, player, coach racist comment; that it would be overlooked....the precedent has now been set.
Yes, and history tells us all it would....

there was a white cop arresting a black prostitue, she started stabbing him over and over, until he was forced to shoot her...well, all of a sudden, Jackson and Sharpton where there protesting...?????????? How hypocrital is that?

I'm sure you mean well, but you honestly have no idea.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 06:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I don't condone what he said but he most likely changed his name because he was discriminated against.
yup. lord knows how difficult it is for jews to survive in the modern u.s. economy.

they are really discriminated against in the NBA. it's not like the NBA commissioner is a jew, or the commissioner before him.

anyway, i'm just generally curious how someone like him can simultaneously be a "Jew" who is "persecuted" while being a "white man" who is "like a plantation owner."

Last edited by le roi; 04-30-2014 at 07:20 AM..

Old 04-30-2014, 07:03 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
I think more needs to be done if a NBA players lets say beats his wife and she ends up with a black eye and a broken nose. That is worst than an old guy being a racist IMO and it not even close. Or how about an NBA player with multiple DUI he could kill someone . That still beats what an old guy being racist.

Google Darren sharper rape allegations if it true the LA clipper owner looks like a saint IMO not saying what he said was right BTW.

Ex-NFL star Darren Sharper accused of sex assault: 7 women, 4 states - Los Angeles Times

Who Is Darren Sharper? Date-Rape Allegations Raise Serious Questions | Bleacher Report

Darren Sharper Accusations: 11 Druggings, 7 Alleged Rapes

People that play or are associated with pro sports need to be held accountable and it needs to be far across the board owners to players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
What does a retired football player have to do with Donald Sterling?

Its hilarious watching some of you reach into you bag of bad Black men to make yourself feel better when a white man gets in trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There was a good history of banning and suspending owners and players on one of the networks, George Steinbrenner's was suspended for 3 years because of a conviction for illegal campaign contributions, Marge Schott was suspended for a few years. Pete Rose was banned for life after gambling on games, this is the first time an owner has been handed down this type of punishment, very lenient in the past.
This is what some of you are missing, Adam Silver just fired his boss, what do you think is going to be a part of the next CBA, if he can fire an owner for life then you better get ready for him to fire a player as well, especially when a talking head from the Players association is running his mouth about how all the teams were going to boycott the playoffs last night.

Anyone that's ever been a part of a union knows the term precedent, one was set last night. So the next time one of your players used a derogatory homosexual slur against another player will anyone defend that player when he also gets banned? What about when one of your players beats his wife, or goes into the stands to attack fans, this is the slippery slope Mark Cuban was talking about.

The sponsors made sure Sterling was getting banned, the worst thing you can tell a Billionare is that he is going to lose money, or money is going to be taken away from them, the union should have been smart enough to see this, and so should anyone here. Adam Silver had no choice yesterday, the owners in the near future also have no choice, they will vote him out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Which is blown up like a balloon at the fair. Not deflecting talking reality.

Clips are winning right now.............I guess the racist owners team can still play ball. Maybe if you folks left em alone they could go to the promised land.

The old racist is paying Paul how much? Paying dunk man how much? Yeah what a racist. I guess he should give em his house to make some happy. Good luck.

You can do as your told all you want........I think the Clips have one white guy on their team........oh no two with Riddick.....oh the horror........racism............
What was it Sterling said about J.J Reddick, his 7 million dollar a year white player? To paraphrase Sterlings comments, "there isn't a white player on this planet worth 7 million a year"

Sterling didn't see himself as white, he see's himself above all else as Jewish.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
It's a scary time when you can be punished for things you discuss in private within the confines of your own home. I don't agree with what he said or even like him as a person but this man's civil rights are being violated here!

I also don't like the double standards. Where was the outcry for the networks and record label to drop nick cannon last month when he made a lame attempt to promote his upcoming album by going out in white face and saying "yes I do hope I p iss some white people off!"

Old 04-30-2014, 07:09 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
It's a scary time when you can be punished for things you discuss in private within the confines of your own home. I don't agree with what he said or even like him as a person but this man's civil rights are being violated here!

I also don't like the double standards. Where was the outcry for the networks and record label to drop nick cannon last month when he made a lame attempt to promote his upcoming album by going out in white face and saying "yes I do hope I **** some white people off!"
Word to the wise, don't pass off the girl you are boning. He may have said these comments in private, but they are public knowledge now, and for someone who has a history of racism, this was basically the final straw for the NBA.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post

I also don't like the double standards. Where was the outcry for the networks and record label to drop nick cannon last month when he made a lame attempt to promote his upcoming album by going out in white face and saying "yes I do hope I p iss some white people off!"
totally agree with you, not right at all.....

Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 AM

10,033 posts, read 9,512,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I thought freedom of speech included what we may not want to hear.
We since most don't care about the illegal wiretapping in the privacy of someone's private residence, I'm guessing they feel it's okay as long as they don't like the conversation.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Word to the wise, don't pass off the girl you are boning. He may have said these comments in private, but they are public knowledge now, and for someone who has a history of racism, this was basically the final straw for the NBA.
And you mean to tell me, every team member is lilly white and has never made a racist comment in their life in the privacy of their own homes...I can imagine what they all said, "in the privacy of their own homes, after they heard what he said", doesn't make it right, however, it is double standard and extremely hypocrytical....

awful....

Old 04-30-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
This is what some of you are missing, Adam Silver just fired his boss, what do you think is going to be a part of the next CBA, if he can fire an owner for life then you better get ready for him to fire a player as well, especially when a talking head from the Players association is running his mouth about how all the teams were going to boycott the playoffs last night.

Anyone that's ever been a part of a union knows the term precedent, one was set last night. So the next time one of your players used a derogatory homosexual slur against another player will anyone defend that player when he also gets banned? What about when one of your players beats his wife, or goes into the stands to attack fans, this is the slippery slope Mark Cuban was talking about.

The sponsors made sure Sterling was getting banned, the worst thing you can tell a Billionare is that he is going to lose money, or money is going to be taken away from them, the union should have been smart enough to see this, and so should anyone here. Adam Silver had no choice yesterday, the owners in the near future also have no choice, they will vote him out.

What was it Sterling said about J.J Reddick, his 7 million dollar a year white player? To paraphrase Sterlings comments, "there isn't a white player on this planet worth 7 million a year"

Sterling didn't see himself as white, he see's himself above all else as Jewish.

You are correct on all counts....and I'm shocked no one else sees this....

all this does is fuel racisum...when you force people, in anything, people resent being forced....ya gotta want to, or else it means nothing....

here is an example, now people are turning to E-cigs, trying to quit, but they are outlawing them, now, so those against smoking are sabatoging themselves...and surely proving how disloyal they are to caring about others, same thing....

Old 04-30-2014, 07:20 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,403,590 times
Sterling may make more money for the sale of the Clippers now than before. Though there is always the possibility that Sterling will sell the team without a fight, given his history that is unlikely. He is apparently litigious and he may huff and puff and take this matter into federal court and bring all kinds of counter-suits...unless, to quote Dr. Evil..you give him ONE BILLION DOLLARS..or close to it for the team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies