Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 11:39 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times

Advertisements

Sterling did this to himself. That is all I have to say. If some people want to rationalize his actions and then attack those decent people that are concerned about it instead or point fingers in other directions, that says more about them than anything else. He has the right to free speech, but so do we. Had he apologized, this could be almost over and life goes on. It would have been easy to do that a few days ago.

Someone else said racism/bigotry is bad for business. Mentioned once more for the benefit of some who seem to be in denial about that.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:02 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Do we know the context of his comments? I thought he was telling his GF you can sleep with black guys but do not bring them to my games. Which makes sense as he does not want to have the cuckold evidence in his face.

Fellow is jealous and unhappy he cannot satisfy his hot gf.

Well that is the vibe I get from this.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:02 PM

182 posts, read 297,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
From what I heard, Sterling looked at the Clippers as a business. He probably figured the team was making money so why spend a lot on the best players. From a business standpoint he did very well - purchased the team for 12.5M and it's now worth something like 800M.
A little dense are we? Every team exploded in value over 30 years because the NBA as a whole boomed in value and popularity. Sterling was just at the right place at the right time, not because he's a "grand businessman". Anyways, all this phony outrage from both sides is a moot point because Magic Johnson's group will own the clippers in the end eventually, much to the chagrin of some on this board...

Old 04-29-2014, 12:06 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Sterling did this to himself. That is all I have to say. If some people want to rationalize his actions and then attack those decent people that are concerned about it instead or point fingers in other directions, that says more about them than anything else. He has the right to free speech, but so do we. Had he apologized, this could be almost over and life goes on. It would have been easy to do that a few days ago.

Someone else said racism/bigotry is bad for business. Mentioned once more for the benefit of some who seem to be in denial about that.
Had he apologized.

If so, he should be at the back of the line of a long line of racists who hide behind comedy, celebrity and a list of other facades used by those of every skin color that exists.

The simple question is, had this been said by a Black would it be such a big deal or would the endless parade of justifications going back to slavery, race anger built up during their childhood and so on?

Everyone knows the answer, very few are willing to admit to believing it.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:09 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Notwithstanding the question of whether a private conversation was taped to be made public (gawd help us all) doesn't this guy have a history of such statements? Also, he apparently has a pretty smarmy history with respect to his "dealings" with women.

I guess that's (and has always been) okay, though.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Notwithstanding the question of whether a private conversation was taped to be made public (gawd help us all) doesn't this guy have a history of such statements? Also, he apparently has a pretty smarmy history with respect to his "dealings" with women.

I guess that's (and has always been) okay, though.
And all this time, no one really made a big deal about it either. Timing is everything.

What is not talked about is how he managed to say all these things all these years and no one stood up to be counted, they all lined up with their hands out.

Now who is the racist? The person that makes the comment or the people that enabled him to continue to do so, taking his money as a payoff.

There should be a lot of ashamed people except they are all to busy standing in line to say he knew about it all along.

Let anyone who ever took money or got anything from him, return it and then stand up and say something, otherwise, they are all hypocrites.

Lots of excuses going around as to why people took his money or assistance in exchange for their humanity and morals. They sold out, everyone one of them.

Now lets see who steps up to the donation plate?

Old 04-29-2014, 12:16 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,112,501 times
Just heard on a local sports station that Sterling has been fined $5,000,000.00 and has been handed an indefinite suspension.

The fine is no big deal for him. The indefinite suspension is meaningless, if the NBA wanted to send him a strong message. Sterling will most likely be back at the end of he season. A 1 year suspension may have sent a better message.

In addition, I hear that just about all of the Clipper's sponsors have jumped ship.

Update: oops, it's been updated.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:17 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
From what I heard, Sterling looked at the Clippers as a business. He probably figured the team was making money so why spend a lot on the best players. From a business standpoint he did very well - purchased the team for 12.5M and it's now worth something like 800M.
That's the problem!
For 26 of the 30 years he's owned the Team he hasn't hardly spent a dime. The reasons why the team is worth so much is because.
A) piggybacking the Lakers Organization into the Staples center.
B) illegally moving the team to the LA market in the 80's and the NBA doing nothing about it!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:17 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Lol @ white people feeling sorry for themselves because they can't say racist things without risks of repercussion. Someone once told me that the definition of integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching. Why all the crying and defense of a billionaire who has openly discriminated against potential tenants, uses his money to buy and influence people and manipulate a system to his advantage? What has he done for you? He can't even field a good team until now, the Clippers have been the laughing stock of the sports world for many years. Decades even.

Like a bunch of second graders some people here are pointing fingers that little Timmy gets away with it so should I when they (or he as Sterling is their poster child) got caught. So for me there can be know bizarro world scenarios dreamed up where black people are the establishment and we play out lame "what if" games.

This just in: BANNED FOR LIFE.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:18 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Banned for life. Beautiful. Too bad he can't be banished to some isolated island somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies