Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 01:32 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This is sort of the way I see it, and now it's turned into a huge racism issue and the guy is now forced out of the league and has to sell his team. Really ? I'm willing to bet every single one of us has said something not so PC in the privacy of our own home. We are entitled to our own opinions aren't we ?
Indeed. In everyday conversation, people (of all races) make race-related comments, and nobody bats an eye about it.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:32 PM

182 posts, read 297,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
So why was he not punished THEN - 10-30 years ago. The NBA continued to take his money until the media forced their hand. That is the definition of hypocrisy.
Well I can't answer that. You'll have to take that up with David Stern. I agree he should've been removed from the league years ago but Stern didn't have the spine to do it.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:38 PM

181 posts, read 378,692 times
Quote:
So why was he not punished THEN - 10-30 years ago. The NBA continued to take his money until the media forced their hand. That is the definition of hypocrisy.
I'm going to assume that it's because at that time there was no audio. Now there is audio proof of how he really feels.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:44 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina78 View Post
I'm going to assume that it's because at that time there was no audio. Now there is audio proof of how he really feels.
If that's the case they should only be able to base their punishment on what they have audio proof of.

I can be accused of cussing John in 1980
I can be caught on video cussing John in 2014
Being caught on video in 2014 does not prove 1980 incident happened

Hypocrites. No way out of it.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:48 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
If that's the case they should only be able to base their punishment on what they have audio proof of.

I can be accused of cussing John in 1980
I can be caught on video cussing John in 2014
Being caught on video in 2014 does not prove 1980 incident happened

Hypocrites. No way out of it.
The easy response is no one cares about you or anything you say.

Become an owner of a franchise or part of an organization who's revenues could be threatened by your words or actions and we'll see.

If you want to test it. Try putting inflammatory remarks on your Facebook page or saying unsavory things at work and see what that does to your career or job opportunities should you desire a new one.

Or, just keep your private comments private.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:48 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
The players are ecstatic about the decision.

They are ecstatic because they had to do nothing but turn their jerseys inside out. The governing authorities cleaned up the mess. Sterling will get brought out for a profit. The players will make their money. Our everyday lives remain the same.

What should happen is more sacrificial, but sends the point hard. Players should strike, fans should avoid the team. That puts a direct financial hit on Sterling's operation. That forces him to change thru some pain. What does Obama's people say - never let a crisis go to waste... want to really make a statement, break the NBA playoffs and sit out. Problem is that it's hard to do that. It's easier for the government (NBA in this case) to unilaterally act.

Green is still everyone's favorite color.

I'm still questionable about Magic Johnson at this point, and how this all has came about, and his over eagerness to buy the team which is technically not for sale at this point...

Old 04-29-2014, 01:52 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
I think for the multi-millions the players get to throw a ball around I'd let someone call me anything they wanted... just saying.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:52 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
The players put in a lot of hard work to reach the playfoffs. To ask them to just throw that away is disrespectful to the game, their fans, their coaches and their own personas as players.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:08 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The players put in a lot of hard work to reach the playfoffs. To ask them to just throw that away is disrespectful to the game, their fans, their coaches and their own personas as players.
Yeah - there's a lot more at risk now. If this were about a company where employees make $20/hr - they would be on strike, which would be encouraged by the majority of the culture. But because there is so much money involved, and it messes up our entertainment (which is king these days) - we can't have the entertainers sit out - that disrespects the game.

I think a big opportunity was missed to put a big dent into racism.

Sterling has been the only one who hasn't changed. NAACP - they changed after taking a bunch of money. Doc Rivers & the players - changed. The NBA - changed. All because of an illegal audio recording. Elgin Baylor knew. Everyone looked the other way. Now they want to do something. Something is wrong with that.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:27 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Yeah - there's a lot more at risk now. If this were about a company where employees make $20/hr - they would be on strike, which would be encouraged by the majority of the culture. But because there is so much money involved, and it messes up our entertainment (which is king these days) - we can't have the entertainers sit out - that disrespects the game.

I think a big opportunity was missed to put a big dent into racism.

Sterling has been the only one who hasn't changed. NAACP - they changed after taking a bunch of money. Doc Rivers & the players - changed. The NBA - changed. All because of an illegal audio recording. Elgin Baylor knew. Everyone looked the other way. Now they want to do something. Something is wrong with that.
By your logic, Jerry Sandusky shouldn't be punished either. He got away with it for so long...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies